Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I've now found another photo taken a few minutes earlier which shows the coach more clearly.

It is an uncorrected scan though - hence the black border of the slide mount.

1918571254_YorkV24771GreenArrowTheNorthumbrianLimitedabouttoleaveforSheffieldSat7thApril79C4396.jpg.4eeb8e2e75ef567bdd247b7ba4fa8161.jpg

York V2 4771 Green Arrow The Northumbrian Limited about to leave for Sheffield Sat 7th April 79 C4396.jpg

David

I remember that there were at least two such S&T Mess & Tool vans based at York. As an S&T trainee with the Electrical Installation gang, I remeber using one for a job at Castleford and another at Knottingley in the mid 1970s. Didn't take any notice at the time of what ex-coaching stock they were, but from memory they had a Gresley look about them.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I've now found another photo taken a few minutes earlier which shows the coach more clearly.

It is an uncorrected scan though - hence the black border of the slide mount.

1918571254_YorkV24771GreenArrowTheNorthumbrianLimitedabouttoleaveforSheffieldSat7thApril79C4396.jpg.4eeb8e2e75ef567bdd247b7ba4fa8161.jpg

York V2 4771 Green Arrow The Northumbrian Limited about to leave for Sheffield Sat 7th April 79 C4396.jpg

David

The checked/tartan? trews are fantastic as is the blue anorak with the 'go faster' cream stripes down the arms!

Green Arrow looking good.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

That second photo’ reveals that is actually a GNR Gresley non corridor brake third with lavatory. So thank you, David, for the second photo’. Mystery solved.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Market65 said:

That second photo’ reveals that is actually a GNR Gresley non corridor brake third with lavatory. So thank you, David, for the second photo’. Mystery solved.

Best regards,

Rob.

That was there for years Rob, think it was in Branches Yard

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s of Gascoigne Wood and Hagg Lane crossing from the 29th May, 1996. All are of interest, and, of course, the coal mine is now shut down. The sidings are covered in grass, with plenty of bushes too. Some of the sidings are used for storage. 
In C20951, at Gascoigne Wood, with a class 155 on a down service to Hull, you can see quite a bit of how it was before the later decline thanks to the change of energy policy. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, talisman56 said:

J12893 (Tues 22nd, 17:15) - what line is the steam train in the trees in the background on? :)

C20942 - an interesting take on NSE livery?

Sorry to disappoint you but the smoke in J12893 at Wetheral was just a garden bonfire.

In C20942 the National Powr Class 59s always loked good in their livery, I'd never realy thought about the similarity to NSE colours before.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s from around Blyth, Northumberland. All are of interest, and it was interesting reading the extended captions. I particularly like C5380, at Blyth, of PS Waverley, in May, 1981. She makes a fine sight, and was well laden with passengers too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

HI David, I like that pic of the Waverly, it reminds me of my days living at Hoo, on the Isle of Grain in Kent as a 7 / 8 / 9 year old and going on the Medway Queen from Chatham to Southend.

Dad used to take me down to the walk way between the Cylinders and the Paddle Wheels, it was awesome. Also seeing the crowd on the deck reminded me that they used to announce for passengers NOT to all go to that side as it would list quite badly for docking, and you can almost see it happening in that picture.

They also had a couple of Southern Railway ones that worked from the Isle of Wight to Southsea and Lymington and I've been on the ones from Southsea. I think they were =Ryde, Ventnor and Southsea from memory.

Wonderful memories, Cheers David.:good:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

HI David, I like that pic of the Waverly, it reminds me of my days living at Hoo, on the Isle of Grain in Kent as a 7 / 8 / 9 year old and going on the Medway Queen from Chatham to Southend.

Dad used to take me down to the walk way between the Cylinders and the Paddle Wheels, it was awesome. Also seeing the crowd on the deck reminded me that they used to announce for passengers NOT to all go to that side as it would list quite badly for docking, and you can almost see it happening in that picture.

They also had a couple of Southern Railway ones that worked from the Isle of Wight to Southsea and Lymington and I've been on the ones from Southsea. I think they were =Ryde, Ventnor and Southsea from memory.

Wonderful memories, Cheers David.:good:

Andy,

What lovely memories to have.

In the late 50s/early 60s  (from the age of 8) I used to spend a part of my school summer holidays at Portsmouth - to be exact staying on board TS Foudroyant (now preserved at Hartlepool with her original name of HMS Trincomalee).   It was there that I learnt to sail, but sometimes when Dad had a school party there we would go to the Isle of Wight on one of the ferries - the only paddle steamer I travelled on then was P S Ryde, other trips were all on the more modern screw driven ferries.  I do remember that when sailing  I often saw PS Whippingham, which was an old Isle of Wight ferry, laid up at the top end of the harbour.

I was also lucky enough to travel on PS Waverley from Southend Pier once when I lived in Basildon, we had a trip along the Thames and also up the Medway, turning just below the railway bridge.

I did travel on PS Waverley from Blyth, the Northumberland coast seen from her was something special.  The entrance to Blyth harbour was good too - though I'm not sure which of experiencing it on the Waverley or some time later from a trip on our then lifeboat was the best - the lifeboat trip was on a "choppy" day.

David

PS The paddle steamers on Swiss lakes are rather nice too!

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Makes you wonder how he had time to be a vicar !

There are still people who think a vicar only works one day a week!

Which of course leaves six days for running a railway!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As your pics show David, Carlisle used to be a fantastic place to watch trains not so very long ago. The variety and non-stop action, plus the very different architecture compared with more familiar NER surroundings. My most recent visits were semi-regularly pre-covid to get there on the first train from Newcastle on a Saturday morning ready for the Leeds train and a days walking near the S&C. 

Still an atmospheric place, but less interest on the traction front!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Cadeby photo’s from visits to see the Reverend Teddy Boston. All are of great interest, and the first photo’, from December, 1963, of the model railway at, Olton Priors station, shows how things have changed over the decades since then regarding detail, finish, etc., on models in general. Then in JRV028, of the Foster engine, Fiery Elias, at the Traction Engine Rally, it could be 69/70 if the attire of the man on the right is anything to go by. However I could be wrong. 

The photo’s of Carlisle are as interesting as ever, and in C20525, of 56082, on a train of empties from Blyth PS to Killoch, on the 29th August, 1995, you can see how quite a bit of the weathering is concentrated above the bogies.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

C20535 and C20600 representing that pre-privatisation period when the anonymisation of traction started to rear its head again. 86 239 looking splendid but no longer sporting its "L.S. Lowry" plates (and, incidentally, only another seven months until it was written off in the Rickerscote accident) whilst 47 079, the erstwhile "George Jackson Churchward" and later just "G. J. Churchward", has lost its Great Western 150 green livery and name, for a coat of Railfreight Distribution grey.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 35A said:

47 079, the erstwhile "George Jackson Churchward" and later just "G. J. Churchward", has lost its Great Western 150 green livery and name, for a coat of Railfreight Distribution grey.

To be strictly correct, 47079 is in the later Railfreight Distribution (European) livery, which was IIRC applied to those RfD 47s that were overhauled for working the British leg of international trains using the Channel Tunnel. Funding for the overhauls came out of a specific budget and is why Freightliner got the demics at privatisation.

47079 was the first Class 47 to be repainted when the different freight sectors were created, going into Railfreight Petroleum and being displayed at the launch event at the now closed Ripple Lane depot.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Newcastle again today, with one photo from each year from 1987 to 1991.

1067256872_Newcastle43071down10thJuly87C8649.jpg.0828479ed9e763cd70c7ffaddd8fc77e.jpg

Newcastle 43071 down 10th July 87 C8649.jpg

1730457521_Newcastle43066down27thJuly88C9561.jpg.25dec636a67ebaa6a5c718cad82c511e.jpg

Newcastle 43066 down 27th July 88 C9561.jpg rear of train.

934436367_Newcastle17thFeb89C11657.jpg.586524d2ffad8f755e8625a07cbab889.jpg

Newcastle 17th Feb 89 C11657.jpg  During the building of additional platforms and electrification.

1557611906_Newcastle43084down8thMay90C15461.jpg.71cae1ed6d20a2a6a5936388df15612d.jpg

Newcastle 43084 down 8th May 90 C15461.jpg  going away

444825085_Newcastle37071upleAug91J12849.jpg.679b93f72c102539b8668fd5d9ec1a39.jpg

Newcastle 37071 up l e Aug 91 J12849.jpg

David

Excellent pictures David,  I was at Newcastle yesterday afternoon and trying to remember how the footbridge ended before they built the new platforms on central yard. If it was extended in the project it was certainly a good job and certainly not a glass affair if it was done today

• Thanks 1