Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

Modelling Inspiration there, if you run out of Number 3 decals, just cut an 8 in half!

True - but do it on anything but 43066 and some on RMweb will have your guts for garters!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle photo’s. All are of interest, and in C15461, with 43084, on a down service, on the  8th May, 1990, you can see how the all yellow cab end completely changed the power car appearance. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

Modelling Inspiration there, if you run out of Number 3 decals, just cut an 8 in half!

And those 6s look suspiciously like upside-down 9s to my eyes ....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a discussion on the twin-jib track relaying units in another thread recently.

A similar type to that shown in Dave's photos above can be seen in this old film:

Edited by keefer
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Harrogate photo’s all of which are of interest. The first photo’, of B1, 61337, on the 11.40 a.m., express passenger service from Harrogate to Kings Cross, is, from all the snow, most likely to have been on Saturday, the 27th November, 1965. I can say that since the last day of services over the Beverley to York line, via Market Weighton, ran on that day too in identical  weather conditions on that day.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Is it just familiarity, or was the Intercity livery in three of these photos the most elegant livery on both the HSTs and the hauled stock train at the time? Thanks again for the photos.

Jonathan

Familiarity, I think. As with any livery with a light coloured lower band, it looked awful after several days in traffic, especially in the rainy seasons.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Buston Barns photo’s on the ECML in Northumberland. All are of interest, and in J13532, with 43095, leading an Aberdeen to Kings Cross express, in October, 1992, you can see how some oil has been a bit crudely wiped away from the bottom of the white area.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Longhirst photo’s from between 1986 and 1993. All are of interest, and in C14154, with 37111, on an Alcan empties train from Fort William to North Blyth, on the 17th March, 1990, you can see a quite unusual weathering job on that nose end. I’m sure if you weathered a 37 nose end like that on a model you’d get into some trouble. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Morpeth photo’s. All are of interest, and the first photo’, of 47443, on a York to Aberdeen service, on the 28th January, 1984, shows a classic BR blue scene. The 47 is quite well weathered, whilst the carriages are a bit cleaner - it will have been a very cold day. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Just for interest, 158770 is currently between Ilkeston and Alfreton on it's way from Grantham to Manchester Piccadilly, paired with 158780. Services on the Norwich-Liverpool route are only running to Grantham today due to engineering work at Werrington junction north of Peterborough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Milford Junction and Gascoigne Wood photo’s from the 29th May, 1996. All are of interest and I’ve been in that area on cycle tours in previous years. In C20941, at Gascoigne Wood, with 37708, on a down train of acid tanks, you have a train which most people should be able to model since it’s not too long.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tanfield Railway photo’s which are all of interest, and what a charming line it is. The last photo’ of Bobgins Lane crossing, with RSH, number 38 on an East Tanfield to Sunniside service, in April, 1993, shows how rural the line was at that location. 
The Newcastle photo’s are fascinating, and show much of interest, including, in the last photo’, on the 17th August, 1990, something I don’t recall seeing before. The HST power car on the left, 43090, has it’s number in very small numbers, with only the last two shown. There is one white dash each side of the 90. Also there is an indecipherable ‘mark’ above the 90. It looks most strange compared to 43050 on the right, which is what you would expect to see.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/06/2021 at 12:25, brushman47544 said:

Is it just me who thinks that the 56s with white window surrounds look ridiculous?

On that livery, yes, but today on the LL livery it looks OK as it is followed up with the side window frames and the radiator grilles.

I reckon somebody at Saab stole (had) the same idea not so long ago, with frames around the front light clusters, I seem to remember a certain Mr Clarkson referring to the look as 'Dame Edna Everage'....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Market65 said:

The Newcastle photo’s are fascinating, and show much of interest, including, in the last photo’, on the 17th August, 1990, something I don’t recall seeing before. The HST power car on the left, 43090, has it’s number in very small numbers, with only the last two shown. There is one white dash each side of the 90. Also there is an indecipherable ‘mark’ above the 90. It looks most strange compared to 43050 on the right, which is what you would expect to see.

I don't actually remember seeing that, either, Rob - although at that time I was no longer living on the Eastern Region.

However, 43050 was an ER power-car, whereas 43090 was a Scottish one. Perhaps it was a Craigentinny affectation?

• Thanks 1