Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

11 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the Tanfield Railway photo’s which are all of interest, and what a charming line it is. The last photo’ of Bobgins Lane crossing, with RSH, number 38 on an East Tanfield to Sunniside service, in April, 1993, shows how rural the line was at that location. 
The Newcastle photo’s are fascinating, and show much of interest, including, in the last photo’, on the 17th August, 1990, something I don’t recall seeing before. The HST power car on the left, 43090, has it’s number in very small numbers, with only the last two shown. There is one white dash each side of the 90. Also there is an indecipherable ‘mark’ above the 90. It looks most strange compared to 43050 on the right, which is what you would expect to see.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I have a photo of 43090 taken in 1990 and the indecipherable ‘mark’ above the 90 is a small 43

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Bottesford photo’s. All are of interest, and in J7283, with a class 114 unit on a Skegness to Nottingham service, in November, 1980, you can see, on enlarging the photo’, that the DMBS is still unrefurbished. The clips above the windows are still in place, and it is still in plain blue livery. A good example of a hybrid unit.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s from Seghill going north to South Newsham, of which all are of interest. In J11779, at South Newsham, with 37190, on an Alcan North Blyth to Fort William train in March, 1991, that is an excellent three quarters view of the 37, and also you can see how some of the windows of the signalbox seem to be leaning forwards. That’s something which I not noticed before. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I had a look at the Seghill area on oldmaps. The 1860-1876 version of 1:2500 is very interesting.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/428500/574500/12/101338

you can see the lines that Dave described quite clearly

When you look at old maps of Northumberland (and the part of the old county which is now North Tyneside) you will begin to realise that in many places almost any photo you take will include the trackbed of an old railway line.

Trying to work out exactly where they were is a fascinating pastime.

David

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Switzerland railway photo’s which are fascinating and do indeed make a change from British photo’s since we are not able to travel abroad. In C17109, of the Oberalppass, with FO, HGe4/4, number 36, on an eastbound service on the 28th July, 1992, you can see how the mountain sides tower above the railway, and it’s fortunate how the railway was able to be routed where it was.

In C17208, at Maienfeld, on the 30th July, 1992, in addition to the lever frame it is possible to see the timetable graph that shows the pathing of the trains. I believe that is something which has not been used in British signalboxes, etc.,

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing and all are of interest. I’ve just tried researching the power car in C15406, on the 13th October, 1990, only 43106 has the slightly bigger numbers as in the next photo’. It could be 43108, but enlarging the photo’ does not help with too much grain. It certainly shows that these power cars are of more interest than you might first think. 
Finally, I see there is a man in front of the car, and I wonder if it was your Dad? 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the latest photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing and all are of interest. I’ve just tried researching the power car in C15406, on the 13th October, 1990, only 43106 has the slightly bigger numbers as in the next photo’. It could be 43108, but enlarging the photo’ does not help with too much grain. It certainly shows that these power cars are of more interest than you might first think. 
Finally, I see there is a man in front of the car, and I wonder if it was your Dad? 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I too am not certain of the number  it was a best guess..

It is Dad in front of my car.

David

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

I’ve just tried researching the power car in C15406, on the 13th October, 1990, only 43106 has the slightly bigger numbers as in the next photo’. It could be 43108, but enlarging the photo’ does not help with too much grain.

Just to echo Rob's thoughts.  43106, at the time, was named "Songs of Praise" - the power car in C15957 carries a nameplate (in the old, "tin plate" style). 43108 was unnamed throughout that period, as is the power car in C15406. Certainly, zooming in using a few tools leads me to think that the latter is, indeed, 43108.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

It might be accentuated by a long lens, but that's quite a dog-leg on the 25mph curve!

I think it is a bit better now.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Morpeth photo’s of which all are of interest. In J13111, with 37083, on an up engineers train, from the yard, in May, 1992, it shows a great mid background shot of the 37 under cloudy skies making it look a bit moody.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s, all of which are of interest. In C14499, with 47418 on a Leeds to Carlisle service, on the 30th May, 1990, you can see too clearly how tired looking the 47 was, with some paint peeling off the cab end etc.,

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Steamtown at Carnforth photo’s which are fascinating, and I wonder which Black 5 the frames were from in C8808, on the 8th August, 1987. In the last photo’ of the saloon ‘Loch Eil’, and GWR saloon, number 9400, on the same date, at this end of Loch Eil you can see, through the bottom end window, a plastic seat in orange which looks most out of place. Hopefully today it is better equipped than that.

The Tyne Yard photo’s are full of interest, and in C14562, with 47321, on a down dolofines train, on the 17th July, 1990, you can see the many different wagons and vans in the vast yard. I’m sure no one will have enough room, even in N gauge to make a scale model of it all.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1