Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David,  can't believe what a mess the place looked . Basically as you enter Sheringham by road the first thing you saw were heaps of scrap!

I first saw the place a few years later and I was a bit tidier but not much.

Probably early 90s before it really tidied up 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Great pictures David,  can't believe what a mess the place looked . Basically as you enter Sheringham by road the first thing you saw were heaps of scrap!

I first saw the place a few years later and I was a bit tidier but not much.

Probably early 90s before it really tidied up 

Probably when it was realised that the railway is actually an asset to the town, it now seems to form the centrepiece of some townwide events.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2021 at 15:23, DaveF said:

The Metro has never used the bay platforms but the site is now kept much tidier.  I don't have a particluarly recent photo handy just now.

David

Much improved doesn't quite cover it! This link (https://fsouthern.co.uk/portfolio/tynemouth-train-station/ ) shows some photos after its 2012 spruce up.  The photos also show the bays filled in a way that makes it obvious where they were. 

Your North East photos always make me wish I'd spent more time exploring the area in the late 80s/early 1990s Dave.

Regards

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Just out of interest, are there any photos you don't like?

Unkind! Most days Rob includes wording like 'all of which are of interest' which gives us the answer, I think. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, DaveF said:

All the trains are pacers of Class 142.  I make no comment.

I’m quite a fan of Leyland National buses as they were ubiquitous on my local routes years ago, so I suppose it’s not surprising the railway equivalent have their own fans too. Not me though…

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

That last one seems to be a long way from home. Didn't the GWR want it?

Jonathan

3 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

No, they were too noisy on curves!

They were exiled to the north east.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly, I can only say that when I say ‘they are all of interest’  the photo’s are all of interest, it’s because they are in my very railway enthusiastic eyes. ;)

So I like all of the North Norfolk Railway photo’s, and in particular, in C3590, at Sheringham, you have captured a great shot of the sole surviving J15, number 564, as at October, 1977.

The photo’s from between Newcastle and Hartlepool are excellent, and shows different aspects of the line, and, of course, the dreaded class 142 Pacer Railbuses. I won’t say what I’ve often said about them, it is unrepeatable, but I never regarded them as proper trains, just freight vehicles, with a bus body, and an engine between the two wheelsets.

Anyway, I particularly like the way, at Hartlepool, 142025, on a Newcastle to Middlesbrough service, in February, 1989, is framed by the station roof girders. It’s certainly most intriguing to see it in that way.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Market65 said:

I won’t say what I’ve often said about them, it is unrepeatable, but I never regarded them as proper trains, just freight vehicles, with a bus body, and an engine between the two wheelsets.

Pacers = bustitution on rails.

And I suppose that's the only positive thing to say about them. Some lines would have closed without them. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

C20717: whether it was your intention or not for your shadow to be right in the middle of that 156’s gangway door, it certainly makes for an interesting picture! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. You’ve have posted a superb set of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland between Newcastle and Morpeth. I particularly like J13270, at Cramlington, with 158762 on a Newcastle to Alnmouth service in July, 1992. The 158 is perfectly framed by the footbridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of photo’s from the Newcastle to Carlisle line at Derwenthaugh and Haltwhistle. I particularly find  C18512 at Haltwhistle, on the 28th April, 1993, of interest. You have captured the footbridge and signal cabin very well, with some good details for modellers of the NER.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s from the Milford Junction area on the 29th May, 1996. You have captured  the class 155, number 155346, in red and cream livery, in C20948, perfectly. I was on one last Saturday on the York to Hull service.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1