Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Market65 said:

And that’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of the ECML from between Darlington and Durham. The last one is of one of the three car class 158’s, and I think the unit number is actually 158805, as it makes it’s way from Liverpool to Newcastle at Chester le Street, in October, 1992.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I am going to blame the keyboard for my new PC for getting the unit number wrong in the Class 158 image.

The keys sem not to be in the same place as on the old one.

That's my excuse anyway.

David

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, DaveF said:

I am going to blame the keyboard for my new PC for getting the unit number wrong in the Class 158 image.

The keys sem not to be in the same place as on the old one.

That's my excuse anyway.

David

Australian version maybe, up side down?:banghead: 

• Funny 4

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Australian version maybe, up side down?:banghead: 

We used to have people who set their 'QWERTY' keyboards to function as 'AZERTY', and not reset them when they'd finished. The first  you'd know about it was when you typed in your password, and you'd get 'Access Denied' after the third attempt.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of the London, Tilbury and Southend line which you have found on your old computer. Thank you for posting them, and what I’ve done is to put those two, where you are not too sure of the unit numbers, into a piece of software on my iPad, and I’ve come up with the following results.

C3633, at Laindon, with a class 302, on a Shoeburyness to Fenchurch St service, in December, 1977, after some 90% sharpening, the unit number is almost certainly 302229. I’m as certain as I can be it is not 239.

And in C3631, again at Laindon, the class 302 on a Shoeburyness to Fenchurch St service, again in December, 1977, is, after considerable sharpening, almost certainly 224 not 234. 
In both cases, the number 2 goes ‘straight down’ from the top without stopping to go to the left as in a number three. It follows the stroke of the first 2. I hope this is of some help.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of the London, Tilbury and Southend line which you have found on your old computer. Thank you for posting them, and what I’ve done is to put those two, where you are not too sure of the unit numbers, into a piece of software on my iPad, and I’ve come up with the following results.

C3633, at Laindon, with a class 302, on a Shoeburyness to Fenchurch St service, in December, 1977, after some 90% sharpening, the unit number is almost certainly 302229. I’m as certain as I can be it is not 239.

And in C3631, again at Laindon, the class 302 on a Shoeburyness to Fenchurch St service, again in December, 1977, is, after considerable sharpening, almost certainly 224 not 234. 
In both cases, the number 2 goes ‘straight down’ from the top without stopping to go to the left as in a number three. It follows the stroke of the first 2. I hope this is of some help.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks very much Rob, I've altered the captions.

David

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Nice shot of the Tilbury ferry always enjoyed a trip across and a cup of tea the other side ,then home to Benfleet.How is your mum getting on hope she is getting better.  Chris

Many thanks for the comment about the ferry - for some reason I never used it.

Mum is showing a slow but steady improvement, she is eating better and can walk a few steps.

David

• Friendly/supportive 9

7 hours ago, DaveF said:

Today's photos are from the London Tilbury and Southend line which we have not visited for a very long time.

They are a few I found while tidying up the old PC so they are not particularly good but I hope they will be of some interest.

There are three of trains, one of the Tilbury ferry and one of PS Waverley, which justifies its inclusion as it was off Southend Pier at the time.

2096771549_TilburyRiversideferryEdithapproachingTilbury4May78C3829.jpg.1e91293eb96e273d85dc627892bbbf55.jpg

Tilbury Riverside ferry Edith approaching  4th May 78 C3829.jpg

1487538277_LaindonClass302229ShoeburynesstoFenchurchStDec77C3633.jpg.f80ad28ca75663b0b1c65227df845fdf.jpg

Laindon Class 302 229 Shoeburyness to Fenchurch St Dec 77 C3633.jpg  

1232039042_LaindonClass302234ShoeburynesstoFenchurchStDec77C3631.jpg.167d8c1daca20af18050af6e4f9a65b7.jpg

Laindon Class 302 224 Shoeburyness to Fenchurch St Dec 77 C3631.jpg        

2087667429_Chalkwell308322uppassMay75C2066.jpg.ce463dc6afad2a53d4bdd6d6535a055b.jpg

Chalkwell 308322 up pass May75 C2066.jpg

139147262_SouthendPierPSWaverley1stMay78C3821.jpg.f261398362af8cbc3321e8c7401867c6.jpg

Southend Pier PS Waverley 1st May 78 C3821.jpg

David

Our family spent our summer holidays visiting my grandparents in Glasgow. I can remember going on the Waverley from Glasgow to I think Ayr and back on the train. This was back in the mid 1960's, when I was 10yrs. Happy memories.

Glad to hear your Mum is on the mend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Today's photos are "only" eight years old and were taken at Morpeth, which is still on the ECML in Northumberland.

Still... Do you know something we don't? Is Morpeth and its curve soon to be bypassed...?

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Still... Do you know something we don't? Is Morpeth and its curve soon to be bypassed...?

It's been proposed several times....

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent selection of photo’s from Morpeth as it was on the 5th March, 2013. The last photo’ of the old coal staithes, or coal drops, shows something which I cannot recall seeing for many years now. It’s a valuable record of something which is now gone never to come back. Indeed coal will soon no longer be burnt, except, maybe in preserved steam engines.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the class 47 at Newcastle in Network South East livery , I wonder what the furthest away the NSE area a loco or coach in NSE liveryman aged to get? Wick, Thurso, Kyle or Mallaig possibly! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Seeing the class 47 at Newcastle in Network South East livery , I wonder what the furthest away the NSE area a loco or coach in NSE liveryman aged to get? Wick, Thurso, Kyle or Mallaig possibly! 

NSE liveried 47s got to the four corners as the expression goes. Not sure about north of Inverness though. Perhaps Invergorden if the workings to there hadn’t already finished.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of Newcastle. The last one is an excellent three quarter portrait of 43079, at the head of a Glasgow to Kings Cross express in April, 1990.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 12/07/2021 at 11:15, Fat Controller said:

We used to have people who set their 'QWERTY' keyboards to function as 'AZERTY', and not reset them when they'd finished. The first  you'd know about it was when you typed in your password, and you'd get 'Access Denied' after the third attempt.

We had one idiot trainee programmer who didn't like QWERTY so he rearranged all the keys from A-Z - and then wondered why things didn't work properly...

Unfortunately for him, he didn't last long.

• Funny 4

On 14/07/2021 at 17:49, Chris116 said:

Conversely, I’ve got a photo of a blue/grey Scotrail Mk1 in an excursion rake in Kent.

• Like 10

Hi David;

Thank you for your work at posting everyday, I appreciate them . I'm sorry I don't comment very often.  Is it just me or does the HST (as I knew them), class 43 look completely ruined.  I'm not sure if it's the livery, the treatment to the headlights, or both.  It just seems to have lost the classic, timeless look it has always had.  Maybe it's just rose covered glasses and age!

I just saw Andrew P's comment above. I hope everything is OK too.

Mark. 

Edited by Blackthorn
  • Friendly/supportive 5