Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Thanks very much for pointing this out, I've amended the captions.

David

The girl cleaning the J15 sadly died recently,  she was 81 called Norma but I can't recall her surname 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Going just slightly OT, have just watched a bit of 'The Golden Age of Steam Railways' on BBC4.

Starts off with the fledgling narrow-gauge preservation efforts at the Talyllyn & Ffestiniog before going on to feature the Rev. Teddy Boston and his model & real railways at Cadeby.

I only know of this because Dave has featured him many times in this thread - IIRC he was a friend of Dave's parents.

Features archive film of the layout & garden railway as well as interviewing his widow and the friends who helped him.

Maybe Dave's parents (or Dave himself!) feature in the film clips?

Should be available on the iPlayer.

Edited by keefer
Forgot Teddy's title
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

Going just slightly OT, have just watched a bit of 'The Golden Age of Steam Railways' on BBC4.

Starts off with the fledgling narrow-gauge preservation efforts at the Talyllyn & Ffestiniog before going on to feature the Rev. Teddy Boston and his model & real railways at Cadeby.

I only know of this because Dave has featured him many times in this thread - IIRC he was a friend of Dave's parents.

Features archive film of the layout & garden railway as well as interviewing his widow and the friends who helped him.

Maybe Dave's parents (or Dave himself!) feature in the film clips?

Should be available on the iPlayer.

I remember the programme, Mum, Dad and I are not in it.   I am sure we must be other people's photos of some of the times we visited, but  I have never seen any of us in anything published.

Teddy came into my mind this morning when I posted the Worth Valley photos.  He was standing next to Dad and I when I took the photo of the Class 5 at Haworth in September 1970.  It rained on and off all day, Teddy was wearing sandals as usual and simply ignored the wet! He was of course wearing his dog collar, he felt a vicar should always be recognisable.

That morning we had met at Trowell (I think) services on the M1, Teddy left his car there (no restrictions then) and we went to the Worth Valley in Dad's car and had a very enjoyable day riding on trains and taking photos.

David

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway which show how yhings have changed since the photo’s were taken. In C6593, at Keighley, on either the 5th or 6th August, 1984, with the BR class 4MT 4-6-0, number 75078, I like the way the steam is swirling around leaving the smokebox and emphasising the red nameplate.

The Scottish photo’s are full of atmosphere and capture various aspects of Scottish railways very well indeed. In that last photo’ from South Queensferry of the Forth Bridge, on the 7th August, 1995, you have indeed captured a classic view of the world famous bridge.

Finally I must apologise for being very late this evening, only I’ve been having plumbing issues in my bathroom and my washing machine has broken down - I have bought a new one. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a lovely selection of Great Eastern photo’s and they show different aspects of railways in that area of England. In C2660, at Manningtree, with a class 105 unit on a Harwich to Manningtree service on the 3rd April, 1976, it can be seen that the 105 is one of the former Hull based sets - the four lamp cab end is the main clue along with the early layout of the guards van.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent set of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland at Buston Barns. The last photo’, from the 22nd July, 1995, with 43117, leading a HST from Aberdeen to Kings Cross shows that there is a large amount of oil on the lower bodyside of that power car, with more coming down from the roof - a well known issue, which certainly spoilt the appearance on this side of the HST power cars.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a most splendid selection of photo’s from Morpeth today, and in C18119, with 37083, on a down light engine movement, on the 29th October, 1992, you have captured an excellent view of the 37, and someone on the down platform who was adjusting something, but I cannot quite make out exactly what it was. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. That’s a most splendid selection of photo’s from Morpeth today, and in C18119, with 37083, on a down light engine movement, on the 29th October, 1992, you have captured an excellent view of the 37, and someone on the down platform who was adjusting something, but I cannot quite make out exactly what it was. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It looks very much like the chap on the platform is an Advanced Lookout and is operating a Peewee Lookout Warning Device. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, iands said:

It looks very much like the chap on the platform is an Advanced Lookout and is operating a Peewee Lookout Warning Device. 

Most definitely a PEEWEE. Our system at Darlington was set out (several drums of cables were used to operate it for advanced lookouts) at Ferryhill for a job in the early 90’s and when we went back the next day it was gone! That was the last time I saw one -apart from lookout refresher courses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That is lovely selection of photo’s from Hett Mill on the ECML between Darlington and Durham. The first photo’, of a class 91 on an up express on the 30th May, 1995, is a most splendid ‘Train in the Landscape’. The second photo’ is most interesting in the way it shows just a small part of the class 142 as it works from Saltburn to Newcastle, on the 24th October, 1995.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most excellent set of photo’s of Newcastle from 1988 to 1991. In C11966, with 47822, on an empty coaching stock movement to Heaton, on the 1st June, 1989, apart the interesting weathering on the 47, in the background you can see the big run of cabling too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

One might equally say "note the size of the 5 and 6"!

Very nice photos as always.

There was a thread on here years ago with images showing the different sizes of numbers used on large logo liveried 47s. IIRC Scottish allocated and/or repainted locos typically had slightly smaller numbers and the 7s were more rounded. I suppose a standard size was prescribed but depot repaints used what was available.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That is a most interesting selection of photo’s from Essendine to Gamston on the ECML. In J6970, at Grantham, with 254032, on an Edinburgh to Kings Cross express in June, 1980, that leading power car has a most careworn appearance, with the set numbers in black, white and partially missing. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 2