Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

22 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

That's a very varied Speedlink train in that last photo. Pretty good loading too.

Fond memories of walking from Clara Vale to the Boathouse at Wylam. If you were lucky, you'd see several freights passing. The tank containers at the front were working back to Duxford from Stranraer; at one time they trialled 'bag-in-box' containers, but the glue they carried was too much for them, and one split.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most excellent selection of photo’s from the Kent and East Sussex Railway. In C2796, of Tenterden Bank, with Hunslet, 23, on a Rolvenden to Tenterden Town service, on the 19th June, 1976, you have a lovely scene, as the Terrier pounds up the incline, with the smoke drifting to the left. 
The ECML photo’s from between Darlington and Newcastle are a selection typical of the period and depicting various aspects of the ECML. In the first photo’, at Hett Mill, with an unidetified class 91, on a down express on the 23rd March, 1996, you can see how the headlight and marker lights were a relatively low level intensity compared to the present day, so let’s hope Hornby get that aspect of the new model correct.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most excellent selection of photo’s from Newcastle. In C14142, with 43105 on a Kings Cross to Edinburgh service, showing the rear view, and a HST on a Newcastle to Bristol service on the right, on the 13th March, 1990, the sunlight is showing up the two pipes hanging down from below the streamlined cab end, of 43105, in a way that is not normally visible.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 25/07/2021 at 10:36, corneliuslundie said:

RSH 26 really makes the Terrier look small, and it is not really very big itself.

Jonathan

Funny you should mention that, I’ve a couple of printed kits of the 56 class saddle tanks that are designed to sit on the chassis of the latest incarnation of the Hornby Terrier. I’d been wondering how well this represented the 56 class below the running plate, but even though they’re poles apart up top, the proportions and wheel spacing  look very similar.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most excellent selection of photo’s of Newcastle from the Keep on the 7th February, 2013. In photo’s numbers two and three, with class 221 Voyagers, you can see how the roofs had weathered and got covered in exhaust fumes, a great reference for weathering a model. The last photo’ is a great view of the High Level Bridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most interesting selection of photo’s of the Cramlington area. In J8635, with 47585, on the royal train, on the 18th July, 1986, you can see a good crowd of people waiting for the royals to exit the station. I wonder where they were going to?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It is ironic though that they have arrived by train but the official car has gone there from London to meet them.

I assume that it is one of the Stratford 47s as they often had the front of the roof painted white like that?

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

It is ironic though that they have arrived by train but the official car has gone there from London to meet them.

I assume that it is one of the Stratford 47s as they often had the front of the roof painted white like that?

Jonathan

As stated by Dave it’s 47585, which was indeed a SF loco. The black lining round the cab windows is another giveaway.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

If my geography is correct, the train is heading southbound, so presumably the royals haven't come straight from London by train.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, dagrizz said:

If my geography is correct, the train is heading southbound, so presumably the royals haven't come straight from London by train.

Yes, they came from further north, I can.t remember where from.

David

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. You have posted a most interesting selection of photo’s of Bottesford on the Grantham to Nottingham line, plus a sad looking photo’ of the trackbed of the former GNR/LNWR joint line to Leicester at Bottesford South, in C5622, in February, 1982. It’s interesting to see, at Belvior Castle, the miniature 3” and 5” gauge, combined, portable line with what appears to be a USA 0-8-0, in July, 1982, in the last photo’. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Well that’s a most interesting selection of photo’s of Pilmoor, from 1967, you have posted today. In Scan-131129-0008, with class 55 Deltic, D9018, Ballymoss, on a down express passenger service in September, it’s a well composed view, and shows a full yellow nose end to the engine very well indeed.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1