Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is an excellent selection of photo’s from just north of Morpeth. They show how BR was in the early 1980’s, which could be quite dirty and rundown at times. In J7105, with a class 37, on an up coal train, in August, 1980, the rear of the roof of the 37 looks much lighter than the front half of the roof. I’m not sure whether there are replacement roof panels, or it’s just a trick of the light.

In C5600, with an unidentified class 55 on a Newcastle to Edinburgh service, in the last month of Deltic operations on BR, in December, 1981, you can see a somewhat dirty looking train, and I’m making allowance for the condition of the photo’, for it was a time when trains were not exactly well looked after. The ‘Crumbling Edge Of Quality’ comes straight to my mind. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Market65 said:

In C5600, with an unidentified class 55 on a Newcastle to Edinburgh service, in the last month of Deltic operations on BR, in December, 1981, you can see a somewhat dirty looking train, and I’m making allowance for the condition of the photo’, for it was a time when trains were not exactly well looked after. The ‘Crumbling Edge Of Quality’ comes straight to my mind.

Being December, and with snow on the ground, the carriage wash plants would have been drained and out of use, so that the pipes didn't freeze.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Being December, and with snow on the ground, the carriage wash plants would have been drained and out of use, so that the pipes didn't 

Carriage washing was suspended to prevent ice build-up, particularly on stepboards

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the Stephenson Railway Museum line at Middle Engine Lane. The first photo’, at Percy Main, with the NER electric parcels van and a class 03, 03078, in April, 1993, is the first time I’ve seen a photo’ of that parcels van for a long time. I hope it’s still as good as it was at time time of the photo’.

You’ve posted an excellent set of Austrian photo’s of the western end of the Arlberg Line. The scenery is stunning, and so perfectly captured in the photo’s, and maybe, one day, we can go back to travelling to such places. In C17259, at Wald am Arlberg, with 1020 035, on the rear of a freight train, on the 1st August, 1992, you can see the change of gradient clearly, which has been captured so well in the photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, keefer said:

Carriage washing was suspended to prevent ice build-up, particularly on stepboards

Toilet tanks were drained too, or were supposed to be, to prevent them splitting. Over New Year 81/82 some were missed, which is why the final Deltic run from KX to Waverley and return was formed of 90mph stock not 100mph...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most interesting selection of photo’s of Hexham and Riding Mill on the Newcastle to Carlisle line. The first one, at Hexham, with class V2, 4771, Green Arrow, on a Darlington to Hexham to Darlington Bank Top, 100 anniversary special, on the 5th July, 1987, shows a view of the engine and tender not so often seen, and gives some excellent details of the rear of a group standard 4200 gallon tender. Then in J13305, at Riding Mill, with142019, on a Middlesbrough to Hexham  service in August, 1992, you can see that much of the paint has worn off the panel, incorporating the destination display, above the cab windows, revealing, on the left, the word, in black capitals, PACER. I wonder if they were all like that, it’s something I have not seen before.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a fascinating selection of photo’s from Newcastle Central and Newburn level crossing. In C12094, with a weedkilling train, on the 29th June, 1989, you have captured a good view of one of the carriages in that train, and it would make an excellent model too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Quite apart from the weedkilling train, you've captured a historically interesting (to some!) trio of motive power in today's selection.

J9555 - 43159 is the joint holder of the world's fastest diesel train record (along with the NRM's 43102). It is now in the care of the 125 Group at Ruddington.

J10590 - 43089 is the power car that was used for the diesel-battery hybrid experiments, named "Hayabusa". Although subsequently restored to one of the standard configurations it, too, is now preserved in the care of the 125 Group.

C15463 - 47 825 "Thomas Telford" was used as the prototype for the ETS-equipped Class 57s, becoming 57 601, now belonging to West Coast Railway Company.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 08/05/2016 at 20:34, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. Some excellent photo's of Didcot, and also from Scotland.

The one from Portobello, C8926, shows that those DMU trailer cars are actually 'Calder valley' TSL's, class 110, and I wonder what was going on there? We're they about to be scrapped?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Rob

Apologies for the late reply (only took 5 years!) I regularly read a handful of Dave F's excellent photo pages, and reached this point a few days ago. You posed a question about the 110 TSLs at Portobello. Roger Harris' excellent 'Allocation History of Diesel Multiple Units Part 3' shows the transfers of a handful of 110 centre cars to and within Scotland in the late 1980s. Cars 59696/7/701/10/810/7 were all transferred from Neville Hill to Haymarket in May 87, on to Eastfield in Feb 88, back to Haymarket in Jul 88, and then on to either Landore or Neville Hill at various dates between May and September 1989. The presence of several cars at Portobello suggests that they might not have seen intensive use during this period, but there's no mention by Roger of storage during this period.

I hope this is of interest and answers your (probably long-forgotten by now) query. And thank you for your many dmu observations on Dave's photos over the years. I've learnt a lot from your comments and posts about the fascinating heritage dmu fleet.

Regards

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Great to see a photo of a quad art (or is it in fact a quin art?) in day to day use, I once built a set from as Ian Kirk kit for the club layout but the club closed before they layout got far advanced enough to run.

I am sure I have seen a toy big dipper, many years ago, but a 4 mm/ft one would be a challenge.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

The two at Skegness are included as I have always thought that a seaside miniature railway would be an interesting model and I'd love to see a working big dipper layout - I wonder if it would be possible in 4mm scale?

David

A working Big Dipper Model - “The Comet” by Coaster Dynamix.

Happy Birthday David!!!

Cheers

Darius

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1