Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of the North Tyneside Steam Railway, which is at Silverlink in North Shields. In C9499, at Middle Engine Lane, that’s a fantastic photo’ of Stephenson’s Puffing Billy, on the 29th May, 1988. For whatever reason I have not seen many photo’s of Puffing Billy.

You have posted a terrific set of photo’s of Stannington and Morpeth on the ECML. In the first photo’, at Stannington, with 91018, on an up express in May, 1992, you can see that the former station buildings are to the house style of that section of the ECML, and are instantly recognisable as such. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Interesting weathering on the ICI tanks, and "interesting" to reproduce on a model.

Jonathan

They look like tree shadows to me!

Kev.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

I wondered that, but decided that any trees were a long way from the line. If they are shadows it must have been a very low sun even for January. But in retrospect you may well be right.

No problem for my modelling as I only have one tank wagon and that is a black 4-wheeler.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Ulgham Lane Crossing. In J10642, with 37111, on an up train of tanks, in March, 1990, you can see, talking of weathering, the sort of ‘half weathered’ effect on the 37’s nose end. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Interesting weathering on the ICI tanks, and "interesting" to reproduce on a model.

Jonathan

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I wondered that, but decided that any trees were a long way from the line. If they are shadows it must have been a very low sun even for January. But in retrospect you may well be right.

No problem for my modelling as I only have one tank wagon and that is a black 4-wheeler.

Jonathan

I can confirm that they are tree shadows.

Where I was standing is outside a house, which is set back a good hundred plus feet from the road.  While the rest of the road has a low hedge on the left hand side the garden has big mature trees behind the grass verge, which is only about six feet wide.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Gorgeous colours in J8649.

The first three are all the same, but little differences in the livery in each. Blue/grey carriages in the first, but "Executive in the other two. Yellow power unit sides as far as the grille in the first two, but full length "carriage" livery in the third (and the fourth).

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I’m sorry you’ve been having such issues with caring for your Mum, hopefully it will be less stressful from now onwards.

The ECML in Northumberland photo’s are lovely, and, as stated, the colours in J8649, at Southside, with a HST, on a Kings Cross to Aberdeen express, in August, 1986, are delightful, and it’s good how the HST has also been captured accelerating with plumes of exhaust visible.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Morpeth, from the 31st August, 2004. The first photo’ of a Freightliner class 66, 66617, on a down cement train, is an excellent portrait of the 66 as it goes through the station. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is an excellent selection of digital photo’s of the Midland Main line between Loughborough and Trent Junction, on the 1st October, 2005. In IMG_6440, at Sutton Bonnington, with two DRS class 20’s on an up RHTT, you have captured a great view of the train including the clean wagons, which if in use would be very grimy, along with the 20’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Haltwhistle on the Newcastle to Carlisle line, on the 15th March, 2007. The last photo’ is a delightful panorama of the whole station, and shows the platform where the Alston line trains used to depart from, but the trees mean you cannot see the former trackbed curving away. 
In DSC_0286, with 156469, on a Carlisle to Newcastle service, you can see how the yellow painted cab window frames totally change how the cab end looks.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello David, I was in Haltwhistle 3 weeks after you, as I got called to a factory on the old colliery site at Plenmellar, which was alongside the Alston line. I seem to recall that around that time EWS were running jumbo coal trains of 2x class 66 with 42 HTAs in tow. I don't suppose you ever got a shot of them anywhere along the line?

I did see one pass from my room at The Grey Bull one day, as I think they ran in the evening in the easterly direction, having to run the line in one go as there are no loops long enough to recess in. Can't remember now if it was before or after popping down The Black Bull for food and ale....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1