Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, iands said:

Didn't notice in the original b&w photo but there seems to be an unusually large number of "onlookers", even for wrong line working (even if they knew what that was), was there something special due to pass? 

Sir Nigel Gresley was due on a northbound charter.

Pilmoor often had quite a lot of people taking photos in good weather though.

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

And in colour the "weathering" of the loco is quite impressive. Definitely one would be criticised if one weathered a model that much.

Jonathan

It was a Gateshead locomotive, at the time (moved to York the following month).  :D

Interestingly (well, I thought so), when looking that up, I noticed that it was delivered new to Gateshead before later transferring to York (North). It then returned to Gateshead and back to York a couple more times before withdrawal, those being its only homes.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Market65 said:

That first one of a class 40, D278, on a down passenger train on the up fast line, on the 20th August,1967, has the following carriages at the front.

First carriage is a Hawksworth BCK, then a Hawksworth SK, followed by a Stanier SK and a Stanier CK - possibly a Porthole example. Mk1’s follow on after those four.

The third coach is the post-war type with extra corrdor side doors (the footsteps are more obvious than the doors themselves) and also appears to have maroon rather than black ends as late maroon repaints had.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the ECML from Stoke Bank to just south of Retford. In J1503, at Great Ponton, with a class 47 on a down service in November, 1968, unless I am seeing things you can make out one or two of the reading lights in some of the compartments of the Mk1 carriages.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. What a simply superb set of photo’s, as taken by your Dad, of Brighton. They show some remarkable scenes, and thank goodness he took those photo’s. The last photo’ of one of the Leader class power bogies, as in October, 1949, is showing details which I’ve never seen before. I doubt many others have seen one of those bogies before. Thank you for posting those excellent photo’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice picture of a pristine 10203 (JVol7198) but the picture must date from 1954 when this particular loco was outshopped from Brighton Works.  Its condition is in stark contrast with that of 10001 which looks sorely in need of a clean, especially the windows!  10000/1 were on the Southern from April 1953 till April 1955 so the photo must date from that period, perhaps taken at the same time as that of 10203? It has been fitted already with the additional lamp brackets to allow for SR route discs. 

Brings back memories of a 2-week family holiday in 1954 when I was 9. We were staying west of Sailsbury close enough to the West of England main line where these diesels were very much in use (on trial presumably). 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RFS said:

Nice picture of a pristine 10203 (JVol7198) but the picture must date from 1954 when this particular loco was outshopped from Brighton Works.  Its condition is in stark contrast with that of 10001 which looks sorely in need of a clean, especially the windows!  10000/1 were on the Southern from April 1953 till April 1955 so the photo must date from that period, perhaps taken at the same time as that of 10203? It has been fitted already with the additional lamp brackets to allow for SR route discs. 

Brings back memories of a 2-week family holiday in 1954 when I was 9. We were staying west of Sailsbury close enough to the West of England main line where these diesels were very much in use (on trial presumably). 

Many thanks for correcting the date Roger, it is most helpful.  I've amended the captions.

I had forgotten that 10203 was outshopped in 1954.

Sadly Dad only dated a few of his black and white photos so it is always "interesting" when captioning them.  At least he almost always recorded locations.

The photo must have been taken either around Easter or August of that year as the only times we went to Brighton were on family holidays.  

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Obviously it is before Real Time trains started so we have to wait and see what turns up.

Milford Junction used to be fantastic, 58s bringing Scottish coal South and the 56s swapping onto the train and taking it onwards to the power stations, the 58 taking empties back North. Sadly I just missed the 59s working there. Watching the junctions swing over was a good way of knowing where the next train was coming from although you could still get caught out. At times it was incredibly busy with trains queuing on several lines to pass through.

Sadly while it still sees traffic it's a shadow of it's former self and of course the bridge was replaced and now needs steps to see over the sides.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of the Nene Valley Railway. In J7379, at Wansford, with SJ, 1928, in May, 1981, that’s a delightful portrait shot of that engine.

The Milford Junction photo’s are as interesting as ever, and in C20947, at Hagg Lane level crossing, with 158764 on a Leeds service, on the 29th May, 1996, I believe that is the up direction with trains to Hull going down the line. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of the Nene Valley Railway. In J7379, at Wansford, with SJ, 1928, in May, 1981, that’s a delightful portrait shot of that engine.

The Milford Junction photo’s are as interesting as ever, and in C20947, at Hagg Lane level crossing, with 158764 on a Leeds service, on the 29th May, 1996, I believe that is the up direction with trains to Hull going down the line. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of HST’s on the ECML. The differences are basically power car roof deflectors, buffet cars, TGs’s, and the number of TS’s.  They started with no deflectors or TGS’s, and had two restaurant cars. Then, in the early ‘80’s, the TGS’s were introduced, and catering provision was reduced, mostly, to one buffet car. Apart from the NE - SW sets, first class remained at two TF’s. So, those changes can be seen in this afternoon’s photo’s. 

In J6962, at Grantham, with 254027 on an up Bradford to Kings Cross express, in June, 1980, just from looking at the photo’, you wouldn’t think it was June with all the cloud, damp and gloomy weather.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Is that a WR set, or just 1 vehicle short?

It isn't an XC set as it has two firsts.

C5865 at Gamston.

All I know is that it was on its way to Kings Cross.

Sory I can't be more helpful.

David

• Thanks 1