Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David.  I like the impressive selection of photo’s of Southside, on the ECML between Morpeth and Alnmouth. In C16627, with 43060 leasing an up HST on the 16th November, 1991, you have captured a most atmospheric Autumnal shot of the train in the landscape.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb selection of photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing on the ECML. In C15937, with 156469, on an Alnmouth to Newcastle service, on the 15th June, 1991, not only can you see that the OHLE was in place, and use, by then, but the gangway door of the DMS of the 156, has the electric overhead warning flash on it instead of the secondman’s window. A local variant is my guess.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, 35A said:

There's a typo on the caption to C9205, Dave (the first one of today's batch). It 47 450, not 47 550.

Many thanks. 

Looking at the size of the numbers I really ought to have noticed and I can't think of an excuse, it was just carelessness!

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Carlisle. The last photo’ of 144010 and 156489, on a Carlisle to Leeds service, on the 25th October, 1995, is an excellent photo’ of a typical second generation DMU as running over the Settle and Carlisle line back in the 1990’s. A friend would always, when travelling on those trains, strongly advise passengers to travel in the 156 for the extra comfort compared to that of the lowly Pacer.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an impressive set of photo’s of closed former NBR lines in Northumberland. Sad to see all that closed railway, but they, mostly, ran through such sparsely populated areas.  In C15962, at Redesmouth, on the former line to Scotsgap, on the 22nd June, 1991, it is a most atmospheric view with all those poppies in that field. Indeed it would make a lovely painting.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of the Newcastle to Carlisle line. The first one at Prudhoe, with 143011, on a Carlisle to Newcastle service, in March, 1989, shows how the red nose was applied to the cab end of that train. Indeed, I’d forgotten just how long the red nose day has been going on for.

In C11871, at Riding Mill, with 43119, leading a diverted HST from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh, on the 15th April, 1989, you have got the train very nicely framed by the footbridge. Also the first few Mklll’s are still in blue/grey livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the Foxfield Railway from the mid 1970’s. You can see a quite sharp curve in the first photo’, but the Stanier carriage seems to be getting around it without issues. The last photo’, of Dilhorne top curve, with Bagnall, ‘Hawarden’, in  July,1977, is a most enchanting scene with all the smoke the little Bagnall is emitting as it goes along the bucolic line.

The ECML in Northumberland photo’s are excellent, and show how it was before Azuma’s were even thought of. What a lovely example of a ‘Train in the Landscape’ photo’ C20127, near to Fallodon, with a Mk4 DVT and class 91, on an up service, on the 6th May, 1995, is. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very different and intresting  when on holiday in Brittany in the eightees I had the chance to stand and watgh the trains and the station master asked what I was doing.I told him why I was there and he offered a coffee in the buffet and freedom to go were I wanted but to be careful.That loco pictured on the coal mine looks like our class twenty but not so well deigned,  thanks for photos.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s of French railways, which are all of historical interest. The last one of Fourdrain, with a two car diesel unit, X4727, on a Tergnier to Laon service, on the 16th August, 1978, in the Aisne department, is an excellent shot of the train on what looks like a hot summers day. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s of French railways, which are all of historical interest. The last one of Fourdrain, with a two car diesel unit, X4727, on a Tergnier to Laon service, on the 16th August, 1978, in the Aisne department, is an excellent shot of the train on what looks like a hot summers day. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It was indeed a hot summer's day when I took the photo at Fourdrain.

It should have been an idyllic setting but for me it was an unsettling place with a depressing feel to it.  I can't really express it in words but it's a feeling I've often in the vicinity of the battlefields of Northern France and Belgium, I've never had a good night's sleep when staying in those areas.

It was even worse some years before when staying in Cambrai.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

J13164. Sorry I can’t help with the actual number but it’s not 47309. The nameplate is too short and it had a Ford crest above the nameplate The Halewood Transmission.

47310 Henry Ford fits the bill, livery, short name, TI depot plaque...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most splendid selection of photo’s of the ECML from north of Newark to the south of York. Scan-121001-0020, at North Muskham, with a class 55, on a down Pullman train, as taken from the rear seat of a car, in April, 1966, is really clear, and is an excellent shot of that train as it runs at a high speed along the ECML whilst you are moving at speed in that car. 

Scan-121002-0085, of class 40, D390, at Chaloners Whin Junction, on an  up freight train in March, 1967, is a most impressive shot of the 40 as it emerges from the overbridge. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Following daily and enjoying your photos immensely David so thank you for posting them.

The wcml shots of the early 90s bring back early childhood memories and are always a favourite. But the pictures today with such historical content are just brilliant. The difference in ~30 years between DBR202 and C15264 is amazing to see. And to think that cracking shot of the 91 (test train??) was just over 30 years ago from the present day. That not much has changed since the photo C15264 was taken really highlights how big the change from sept 60 to aug 90 was. 

Thanks again for the daily posts and all the best,

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Thanks 1