Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

22 hours ago, DaveF said:

It was indeed a hot summer's day when I took the photo at Fourdrain.

It should have been an idyllic setting but for me it was an unsettling place with a depressing feel to it.  I can't really express it in words but it's a feeling I've often in the vicinity of the battlefields of Northern France and Belgium, I've never had a good night's sleep when staying in those areas.

It was even worse some years before when staying in Cambrai.

David

You want unsettling?

Find a lonely tiny battlefield cemetery, and visit with moonlight.

Yep, still have bad dreams of it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Do tell.

Some of my (and Dad's) photos show a Wolseley 1500 parked outside the garage, so presumably whoever lived there at the time owned it.

Incidentally one of Dad's photos taken from the Caloners Whin Bridge was published in the October Railway Magazine and has the car in the photo.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Photos taken along the River Tyne showing trains and railways in Newcastle.  Also ships.

594577274_NewcastleQE2bridgeandMetro18thNov95C20638.jpg.502f4e241f17abdd3ca433e0e296665c.jpg

Newcastle QE2 bridge and Metro18th Nov 95 C20638

2128691601_NewcastleMetroonBykerviaductindistanceJuly86J8630.jpg.a55eab7876cdafeea939283920779dd1.jpg

Newcastle Metro  on Byker viaduct in distance July 86 J8630  Ship is the "Sedov" in the Tyne for the Tall Ships Race of 1986.

613532453_NewcastleKingEdwardBridgeHSTdown18thNov95C20649.jpg.4e0f163bfb460d645f23c597537bec70.jpg

Newcastle King Edward Bridge HST down  18th Nov 95 C20649

1339136910_NewcastleHSTNewcastletoCardiffNov86J8735.jpg.d23bd012e0aa6fc7dd59f7d51d3e1268.jpg

Newcastle HST Newcastle to Cardiff  Nov 86 J8735

1421229894_NewcastleHMSJerseyandHMSLindisfarneandtrackinQuayside18thNov89C13867.jpg.34145393d1b52fc808652073e6eca7da.jpg

Newcastle HMS Jersey and HMS Lindisfarne and track in Quayside 18th Nov 89 C13867  Tyne Bridge and High Level bridges in distance.

David

Great pictures David, when did the quayside lines stop been used. Was access to these from the NER quayside branch? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, russ p said:

Great pictures David, when did the quayside lines stop been used. Was access to these from the NER quayside branch? 

Offhand I don't know, I'll try to find out, unless someone on here knows the answer - please!

It predates my living in the north east.

I think access was from the Quayside branch.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That is a delightful selection of photo’s of Newcastle, the bridges, trains and ships. Newcastle certainly would not be the same without all those remarkable bridges crossing the Tyne. In C20649, at the King Edward Bridge, with a down service worked by a HST, on the 18th November, 1995, you have captured a superb sight, with both the HST and bridge showing up so well against such a deep blue sky. 
I have a book, somewhere, which gives some details about the Quayside branch. I’ll have to try and find it, but I know it was the branch which gave access to the quayside. Hence it was electrified by the NER to try and make the working the branch easier.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Offhand I don't know, I'll try to find out, unless someone on here knows the answer - please!

It predates my living in the north east.

I think access was from the Quayside branch.

David

Access was from the Quayside branch; quite a lot of the track was in situ when we moved to the area in 1982; though it would soon be taken up as the area was gentrified. There was still a lot of industry, such as the Procter and Gamble factory by the 'Rose and Crown'. The latter was where the 'Technicals' from Tyne Tees drank; 'creatives' and 'Artistes' used the Egypt Cottage, which had linking cables to Studio 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, St Enodoc said:
22 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Isn't that where the bloke with the Wolseley 1500 lived?

21 hours ago, DaveF said:

Indeed it is.

David

Do tell.

Just for completeness, here's a link back to some of Dave's pictures in question (2017):

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-each-day/page/481/&tab=comments#comment-2973235

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Around the end of the war Mum was working at Brush as a steam turbine designer, looking at metal fatigue in ships' turbines.  She had gained her maths degree during the war.

Your Mum has long featured in this glorious thread, occasionally as part of a picture, but also someone who genuinely enjoyed trains. She really is a remarkable lady, and this adds yet another dimension to our knowledge of her capabilities. Long may she continue to enjoy life. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent selection of photo’s of the Midland Railway between Nottingham and Loughborough from the early 1950’s. Although it’s a bit scratched, JBWImageU06, at Loughborough Midland, with a Garratt number 47989, on an up freight in c1955, shows how big they were, and it is not everyday you see photo’s of Garratts. I won’t say much about the Hand of God in the first photo’ - but I’ll be doing a bit of that on my model railway later on this evening. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, DaveF said:

Back to the black and white days of the early 1950s today with some photos on the Midland Railway between Nottingham and Loughborough.

630319599_aNottinghamWilfordRoadsignalboxandgoodsyard47277shuntingc1951JBWP177.jpg.fea688082e9563200bd26a0810c3f368.jpg

Nottingham Wilford Road signal box and goods yard 47277 shunting c1951 JBWP177

I'm hoping @Compound2632 will be along shortly to tell us whether the wagon above the Jocko's dome in JBWP177 is a MR survivor! Fascinating photos as always David.

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, 65179 said:

I'm hoping @Compound2632 will be along shortly to tell us whether the wagon above the Jocko's dome in JBWP177 is a MR survivor!

Ha! So it is. Steel end stanchions makes it D663A, 3,500 of which were built 1921-23 (so some straight to first LMS livery). The early BR "livery" seen there might best be described as "variegated"! 

I have a feeling the three-plank wagon behind, in front of the ICI wagon, is another ex-Midland survivor, a late D305 or possibly D818. By the early fifties both these wagons would be around thirty years old; which seems to have been about the book lifetime of a wagon back in Midland days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent selection of photo’s of the Newcastle to Carlisle line. In J11039, at Hexham, with 143615, on a Hexham to Sunderland service, in July, 1990, the Pacer is nicely framed by the lovely NER footbridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1