Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most outstanding set of photo’s of the line from Grantham to Nottingham. The last photo’ of Colwick and the coaler (Coal Cracker as the coaler at Hull Dairycoates was known) in c1955, is most interesting and it dwarfs the B1 and A5. It would make a most impressive model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive and atmospheric set of photo’s from the west of Austria. The first one of Bludenz, Montafonerbahn 1045.01, on the 1st August, 1992, shows how delightful the locomotive was at the time of the photo’. The livery suited it well.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most excellent selection of photo’s of Carlisle. In C13823, with 86501, on a down freight  train, on the 27th October, 1989, it is a well composed three quarter shot of the engine. It shows how the division between the dark grey and yellow cut across the former headcode box. I always felt that it was a bit unsightly, but I suppose there was no real alternative.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

In C13823, with 86501, on a down freight  train, on the 27th October, 1989, it is a well composed three quarter shot of the engine. It shows how the division between the dark grey and yellow cut across the former headcode box. I always felt that it was a bit unsightly, but I suppose there was no real alternative.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

There was an alternative:

57D7EEB5-288F-424B-B422-A49D6460AAAB.jpeg.f35bfd8eb6dc5c9d68316c6dab2b987a.jpeg

I’ve no idea which of the variants was more common but from a quick look at Flickr images, the above version was by no means rare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RFS said:

Excellent pictures as always, but you seem to have got the wrong caption on the penultimate picture ...

Thanks Robert, I've corrected it.

I am sure I read each caption before I clicked Submit Reply - but I expect I read what I thought was there.

David.  

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of Crich. In  C12057, with LCC, 106, and a West Bromwich bus, 32, and Blackpool tram, 40, on the 11th June, 1989, you have the nice sandwich of a bus in between two trams. Always such a lot to see and experience at Crich and the photo’s capture that so well.

The photo’s from Sunderland Bridge, on the ECML, are an excellent selection, and in C20813, with a class 91 on a down express on the 23rd March, 1996, you can see how begrimed the 91 is. I hope it got cleaned later on at the end of that days diagram.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing and Buston Barns on the ECML. In C14550, at Buston Barns, with 43117, leading a down HST, on the 16th June, 1990, you can see how the light cluster covers either side of the grill for the air horns have been given different treatments. I’m not sure if you’d get away with doing that on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive selection of photo’s from Chathill and Chevington on the ECML. The last photo’ at Chevington, with 47460, on a down light engine movement, in February, 1987, is good example of a ‘Light Engine In The Landscape’, and just look at how the field has flooded next to the railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. You have posted a most excellent selection of photo’s of Morpeth. The last one of 142026, on an Alnmouth to Newcastle service, on the 20th December, 1993, captures a Pacer worked service perfectly. It’s even better since it’s one of the former ‘Skippers’ and still in chocolate and cream livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

catching up slightly but:

Monday - Buston Barns 43117 down 16th June 90 C14550 - great picture, really captures the HST hammering towards the camera.

Tuesday - Chevington Class 91 up test train 1st weekend of electric trains 15th June 91 C15938 - one for 'Prototype for Everything' particularly for those with smaller layouts!

Wednesday - love the contrast between the premier ECML cl.91+Mk4 stock sweeping in on the illustrious long-distance expresses and the flying skateboards on the locals. Plus C18213  of 56119 is just a beautiful picture, the loco looking very crisp and clear in the frosty landscape.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a stunning set of photo’s of the Newcastle to Carlisle line, especially the last three with the trains in the awe inspiring landscape. The first photo’ at Fourstones, with that record breaking A4, 4468, Mallard, on a York to Carlisle special train, in August, 1988, would be after the record breaker was at Beverley as in the first photo’ in my East Yorkshire Photo’s thread. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1