Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent selection of photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne railway, and the first two, at Shiremoor Blue Bell crossing are of interest, and show railway infrastructure remaining despite the tracks having been lifted. Then in J11780, at South Newsham, with large logo 56112, on an up light engine movement, in March, 1991, that is a great portrait shot of the 56.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Lime Street!

A regular problem at Norwich. It's amazing how many people don't know the difference between London Liverpool Street and Liverpool Lime Street.

Several years ago, I watched a group of 4 leap off the train from Yarmouth and into mine, complete with a wheelchair! 

I did my usual pre-departure announcement adding as a final reminder ' this service does NOT, I repeat, does NOT go to London!'

On stepping back to the platform I was totally unsurprised to see said group of 4 scurrying back off my train.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, great central said:

A regular problem at Norwich. It's amazing how many people don't know the difference between London Liverpool Street and Liverpool Lime Street.

Several years ago, I watched a group of 4 leap off the train from Yarmouth and into mine, complete with a wheelchair! 

I did my usual pre-departure announcement adding as a final reminder ' this service does NOT, I repeat, does NOT go to London!'

On stepping back to the platform I was totally unsurprised to see said group of 4 scurrying back off my train.

Before I retired I worked in ticket offices for London Underground and the number of people who asked for Gloucester but meant Gloucester Road was amazing. Trouble was if you asked them which they wanted they normally got cross with the staff either saying that they would have said Gloucester Road if they had wanted that station or the wonderful "What's the difference" comment which I normally answered by saying "about two hundred miles"!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When looking at a set of photos you've taken on the same day, it always intrigues me what was in the photos missing from the number sequence. Have we seen them already..., were they duplicates..., or perhaps didn't come out... :-)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

When looking at a set of photos you've taken on the same day, it always intrigues me what was in the photos missing from the number sequence. Have we seen them already..., were they duplicates..., or perhaps didn't come out... :-)

Some have already been seen, others will be seen later.  I try to give a mix each day, a simple sequence might be boring as I often took more than one photo of a train.  I also took quite a lot of infrastructure photos which appear from time to time.

David

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Carlisle from the 30th May, 1990. In C14516, with 87007, heading a Euston to Carlisle service, you can clearly see two GUV’s leading the Mklll’s. I’m just wondering what they might have been carrying.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Carlisle from the 30th May, 1990. In C14516, with 87007, heading a Euston to Carlisle service, you can clearly see two GUV’s leading the Mklll’s. I’m just wondering what they might have been carrying.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

They would have been carrying cars as it was a Motorail service - I forgot to put it in the caption.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The Up Motorail was interesting as the GUVs were coupled behind the loco at the rear of the train i.e. DVT+coaches+loco+GUVs.

This was because they weren't fitted with TDM cables so couldn't go inside the loco. (This wasn't a problem on the Down trains as it was just worked as a hauled train)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, keefer said:

The Up Motorail was interesting as the GUVs were coupled behind the loco at the rear of the train i.e. DVT+coaches+loco+GUVs.

This was because they weren't fitted with TDM cables so couldn't go inside the loco. (This wasn't a problem on the Down trains as it was just worked as a hauled train)

Unloading at Carlisle was effected via a bogie well-wagon with a roof, IIRC.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most interesting selection of photo’s of disused railways, and they show how things tend to go after a line has been closed down and, usually, the tracks lifted. The last photo’, of Tyne Comission Quay, of the former station site, on the 2nd April, 1986, from across the river at South Shields, is excellent also showing plenty of cranes, a ship, and a smoking chimney, along with a foreboding sky. It’s very atmospheric. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

The South Shields station one was taken from The Lawe Top. Not far behind you is (was?) Brigham and Cowan's shiprepairers. The lines ending in the buffers at one time went into the yard. The ohoto of the Tyne Commission Quay was taken from somewhere around the ferry landing. I was last there four or five years ago; the whole Market Place/ Ferry Landing area had undergone a radical change, and not all for the better, IMHO

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, 62613 said:

The South Shields station one was taken from The Lawe Top. Not far behind you is (was?) Brigham and Cowan's shiprepairers. The lines ending in the buffers at one time went into the yard. The ohoto of the Tyne Commission Quay was taken from somewhere around the ferry landing. I was last there four or five years ago; the whole Market Place/ Ferry Landing area had undergone a radical change, and not all for the better, IMHO

I don't often visit South Shields but I too have seen the changes since I first moved to Northumberland over 40 years ago.  As you say not all the changes have been for the better - though some probably have.

David

Just now, DaveF said:

I don't often visit South Shields but I too have seen the changes since I first moved to Northumberland over 40 years ago.  As you say not all the changes have been for the better - though some probably have.

David

What I meant was that the market place itself was attractively framed by the buildings around it, which were all in one style. With half of them gone it just isn't the same.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 62613 said:

What I meant was that the market place itself was attractively framed by the buildings around it, which were all in one style. With half of them gone it just isn't the same.

I wholeheartedly agree with that.  The better bit is the use of the Old Customs House.

David

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

I wholeheartedly agree with that.  The better bit is the use of the Old Customs House.

David

Is that the pub just off the ferry landing which it seems to me has replaced one of the most Notorious pubs in Shields

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Is that the pub just off the ferry landing which it seems to me has replaced one of the most Notorious pubs in Shields

It was the actual Customs House completed in 1864.  It is now a theatre and Arts Centre.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Newcastle Central station from the late eighties and early nineties. In C11667, with 143016, on a Newcastle to Hexham service and 56119, on an empty coal train, on the 17th February, 1989, you can also see the use of bullhead rail as a check rail on the line that 143016 is departing on.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1