Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I think that C23380 was more likely a Manchester Airport to Glasgow Central working, as 158751 was not a Scotrail Unit (you can tell by the "Express" branding) and the Cumbernauld service terminated at Motherwell in the Hamilton platforms, it didn't run to Glasgow Central.

Jim

Jim,

Many thanks for the information.,

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some great photo's of Motherwell. It is good to see the famous 'Blue Trains'. They were at their best when first introduced in the blue livery and the wrap around cab windows.  A shame when the windows had to be made vandal proof and the livery became BR blue.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi Dave, I especially enjoyed yesterdays pictures north from Skipton.

I felt sorry for your dad giving up his Mk IX Jag for a Morris 1100, still better than that Vectra in C25288- I'd deny ownership of that as well!

Newcastle in the mid to late 1980s today, almost entirely in the BR blue era.

attachicon.gifNewcastle Class 101 Sunderland to Newcastle 21st Feb 85 C6718.jpg

Newcastle Class 101 Sunderland to Newcastle 21st Feb 85 C6718

attachicon.gifNewcastle 45114 Newcastle to Liverpool 1st Aug 86 C7803.jpg

Newcastle 45114 Newcastle to Liverpool 1st Aug 86 C7803

attachicon.gifNewcastle switch machines 10th July 87 C8655.jpg

Newcastle switch machines 10th July 87 C8655

attachicon.gifaa Newcastle Class 101 Sunderland to Newcastle Aug 87 J9152.jpg

Newcastle Class 101 Sunderland to Newcastle Aug 87 J9152

attachicon.gifNewcastle 31305 empty bitumen tanks 21st March 88 C9511.jpg

Newcastle 31305 empty bitumen tanks 21st March 88 C9511

David

Just been watching "What became of the Likely Lads"; did they use these photos in the opening sequences?

(Only joking ) !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Nice breakdown train on C8983. You don't see many shots that include the whole thing.

And the fact that the vehicles are not uniformly yellow! I think people get too hung up on the 'exact' shade of paint to use - as long's you get near to it, then up to a couple of shades either way between vehicles is probably more realistic 

I take it the coach next to the crane was one of the newer c.1985 mk1 conversions, while the tool vans are a bit older and faded

(I remember an article in RAIL around that time, showing the 'new' coaches - I think it was a desire to purge a lot of the older/pre-nat coaches as there were a lot of withdrawn mk1s available)

I remember walking Southend pier in the mid to late 70s. It was very dilapidated at that point with what seemed far too many loose planks. I think we walked one way and took the train the other.  After withdrawal, one of the old train cars used to be in a shop in old Leigh up until we left Essex in 2004, no idea if it is still there

There always seemed to be a burnt out building at either end of the pier. sometimes the buildings at the end of the pier or the bowling alley at the 'land' end, for some reason fires seemed to be fairly regular! 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Those are excellent photo's of Southend Pier. I have not seen too much that railway, so the photo's are of particular interest. Thank you for posting them.

Morpeth is so well known in contrast, and a further set of quality photo's can be seen tonight. Plenty of class 101 DMU's to be seen.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

OOH Southend Pier memories fish and chips at the pier head café ride on the train new ones better than the toast racks also go on the Royal Daffodil very classy and upmarket .Go to the pier now and again for RNLI meetings usually in the new building at the land end always enjoyed my days out down here always felt happy on the train back to Benfleet or the bus via Tarpots ,did you go to Liegh On Sea very often ?The new units on the pier as photographed always looked grubby don't no why ,if you go to pier head now there is a new building and a very impressive RNLI building shop and launch building but it still has the atmosphere of old.

• RMweb Gold

OOH Southend Pier memories fish and chips at the pier head café ride on the train new ones better than the toast racks also go on the Royal Daffodil very classy and upmarket .Go to the pier now and again for RNLI meetings usually in the new building at the land end always enjoyed my days out down here always felt happy on the train back to Benfleet or the bus via Tarpots ,did you go to Liegh On Sea very often ?The new units on the pier as photographed always looked grubby don't no why ,if you go to pier head now there is a new building and a very impressive RNLI building shop and launch building but it still has the atmosphere of old.

I quite often visited Leigh on Sea, usually to take railway photos and to have a walk, I usually sampled the cockles while I was there.  Photos of Leigh do appear in this thread from time to timer.

In fact I lived in digs in Leigh on Sea for a couple of months before getting a flat in Basildon.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of the Midland Railway line between Nottingham and Newark. In C2857, I see that the blinds of the class 104 DMU are, apparently, in use. I thought that those blinds had ceased to be used from May of that year.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Guest B Exam

The driver in photo C2857 driving the 104 unit is familier to me. I knew by his first name - Stan.

After work, he would call in my local for a couple of pint of mild, putting the world to rights.

He retired about 10 years ago, but sadly passed away within a week of retirement. So sad, he never got to put his feet up after 50 years of hard graft on the railway.