Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Standing on Sellafield beach,did you glow in the dark after that photo?

Visited there on a couple of occasions due to family connections, it's not a resort by any stretch.

It's one of Dad's photos, he never glowed in the dark - except when he was young and still smoked.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures Dave, the NYMR ones seem like yesterday.

Your dad could have got arrested back in 79 for the last sellafield one, they were always paranoid that the Russians would want pictures like that!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. They really are excellent photo's. The Cumbrian Coast line is one which I have always enjoyed seeing. I had also nearly forgotten that DMU's could be hauled when broken down like that Class 108 unit in J6611.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, Travellers' Fate.  Where abouts was that?

Left hand side of The Lawn looking from the stop blocks towards the back of the GW Hotel.  There had long been a buffet in the corner (right hand side of that pic) but I'm not sure what is there nowadays.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Love those old photos of the TP DMU, and the WD. They need to be put in the peco thread about the release of the bullied rail track. The fast lines have been relaid with flat bottom, along with the points, but the slow lines retain the old rail on the plain sections. It shows that the use of flat bottomed point work with bullied rail plain track can be used with steam.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's from East Yorkshire, which would be so perfect in my East Yorkshire thread as well. I like all of them - the WD at Hessle is particularly outstanding. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Love those old photos of the TP DMU, and the WD. They need to be put in the peco thread about the release of the bullied rail track. The fast lines have been relaid with flat bottom, along with the points, but the slow lines retain the old rail on the plain sections. It shows that the use of flat bottomed point work with bullied rail plain track can be used with steam.

"...... bullied rail track .........." ??????

Surely bullhead - or was it really being abused and coerced ??

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

The photo of the TP DMU shows just how handsome these units were - especially in green.

And, to me, highlights the fact that THEN we were allowed SIX coaches, the later photo showing we now get THREE.

And they call it "progress".

"...... bullied rail track .........." ??????

Surely bullhead - or was it really being abused and coerced ??

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hey, don`t blame me, blame the Ipad autocorrect. Just because they don`t know railway terms.

• RMweb Gold

And, to me, highlights the fact that THEN we were allowed SIX coaches, the later photo showing we now get THREE.

And they call it "progress".

But not as many trains.

Today we have far more coaches/hour through Standedge Tunnel than in the 80s.

It's more convenient to have a more frequent service but now more Drivers and Guards are required and all the Paths are nearly all used up!

Kev.

I've found a few more photos taken at Sowerby Bridge for today's batch.  

attachicon.gifSowerby Bridge Class 37 D6865 down light engine Sept 67 J1143.jpg

Sowerby Bridge Class 37 D6865 down light engine Sept 67 J1143

attachicon.gifSowerby Bridge Class 37 up mineral Sept 67 J1145.jpg

Sowerby Bridge Class 37 up mineral Sept 67 J1145

attachicon.gifSowerby Bridge LMS 8F 48111 goods Sept 67 J1147.jpg

Sowerby Bridge LMS 8F 48111 goods Sept 67 J1147

attachicon.gifSowerby Bridge coal drops in the fog Oct 69 C153.jpg

Sowerby Bridge coal drops in the fog Oct 69 C153

attachicon.gifSowerby Bridge remember this weather Oct 69 C154.jpg

Sowerby Bridge remember this weather Oct 69 C154

David

J1147 - what we all really wanted - 'Happy Valley' PLUS 8Fs. Any chance in series 3?

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again! The canopy valences are very similar to Saltburn, I wonder if it was an NE region design?

Was the choice influenced by last nights happy valley as the station featured on there with two ballast trains in the platforms

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again! The canopy valences are very similar to Saltburn, I wonder if it was an NE region design?

Was the choice influenced by last nights happy valley as the station featured on there with two ballast trains in the platforms

The location is pure coincidence.  I actually set up the folders for the current batch of photos on 19th January,  I suppose that just by chance locations will sometimes be topical.

Some people might say I use my time machine to travel forward in time to decide which photos to use each day to ensure topicality.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

But not as many trains.

Today we have far more coaches/hour through Standedge Tunnel than in the 80s.

It's more convenient to have a more frequent service but now more Drivers and Guards are required and all the Paths are nearly all used up!

Kev.

Hmmm, whilst I agree that more coaches/hour is true, what the real railway needs to do is provide high capacity trains when needed rather than more low capacity trains just to meet a frequency commitment. Having 3 trains an hour, don't help those who 'need' to be on one of those trains and can't skew their departure time to suit e.g. people going to work.

Sorry Dave, just needed to make the observation. A more frequent service doesn't always mean less congestion.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the photo's of Sowerby Bridge. Just so nostalgic, full of atmosphere and it really is like being in Doctor Who's Tardis, and travelling back to those last days of steam.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some really lovely and nostalgic photos of London St. Pancras today. I like the flurry of exhaust which can be seen coming from the HST power car 43056 in the second photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.