Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Wow, have a look at St. Pancras, it looked at dirty hell hole back then.. i remember going there to see some Peaks, and it was even darker then.

Looks like a different place now.

Keep the excellent pics coming. Regards Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Wow, have a look at St. Pancras, it looked a dirty hell hole back then..

Going back further to when I was trainspotting as a lad in the late 1950s, everything that moved was steam.  And as a result of the Midland's "small engine policy", every train over 8 coaches was double-headed.  Those were the days!

Edited by RFS

That picture of the 47 on the coaches, can you get a better look at the coaches behind it? If they only have 7 windows they will be the ex first class ones that had the seating changed for airline style 2nd class, and we're used on the derby trains mainly for commuters. Unless something had gone wrong that day the chance of seeing loco hauled on the London Sheffield run was remote. They preferred to do a quick turn round of a incoming HST instead.

Guest B Exam

That picture of the 47 on the coaches, can you get a better look at the coaches behind it? If they only have 7 windows they will be the ex first class ones that had the seating changed for airline style 2nd class, and we're used on the derby trains mainly for commuters. Unless something had gone wrong that day the chance of seeing loco hauled on the London Sheffield run was remote. They preferred to do a quick turn round of a incoming HST instead.

Quite a few times, the 1F48 19.30 St Pancras to Sheffield service was loco-hauled vice HST after the HST had been pinched earlier in the day to work elsewhere. If I remember correctly, the LHCS did Derby-St Pancras on its normal diagram, then 2 round trips to Sheffield before working 1F48 back to Sheffield.

Certainly in early 1990, the remaining 'Generator' 47/4s allocated to the Intercity sector were regular performers. I had 47406/407/413/417 and 47418 on the 19.30 from St Pancras. Later, more common Crewe based 47s became regular workers of the train with the odd Eastfield/Inverness Intercity sector interloper appearing when they had escaped south of the border - 47550 and 47595 being prime examples had for haulage.

• RMweb Premium

I can remember the BRCW Type 2's (Class 27's) banking the Peaks out of the station on some of the longer trains in the early sixties and my memories of it then was that it was rather run down and dirty. Much more interesting then though!

Hi Grahame

Trains were not banked out of St Pancras. The loco that brought in the empty stock would keep buffered up to the out going train then drop off either at Kentish Town or Cricklewood ready to bring in the next empty train, a practice from the days of Fowler tanks working ECS.

• RMweb Gold

I think I made a note of the train's destination from the platform departure boards, so it must have been an HST substitute.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photo's of Stoke on Trent today. I particularly like the one of the station frontage, for it was very grand even in the early seventies.

I well remember the power cuts. We had to go to the local electricity shop to get the times of the cuts. It was low, medium and high for the risk of cuts happening.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

No pics of the freight yard next to the station?

I can just about remember the sidings there and it's resident 03s

It was on the list for a subsequent visit, but I never got around to it, in part because I ended up working in Lincolnshire after completing my PGCE in Manchester.

David

• RMweb Gold

The building to the extreme right on C0830 was my base for several months up to about two weeks before the photo was taken. Looks like the Oakamoor trains had been putting down a lot of sand on the Down Goods, they used to stop right outside our window.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. Sorry for the late reply, but I have been moving house today.

Those are really great photos of the Settle to Carlisle line. Very atmospheric, and I wasn't fully aware that BR standard 4mt 80080 had worked a special train over the line. That certainly is a great photo of the engine.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It wasn't a one-off special. 80080 worked a number of Carlisle-Kirkby Stephen return trips over a few weeks. They were for crew training purposes but advertised as public services.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

C4374 Didn't the 312s look good in all blue? For those modellers who model there trains with illuminated headcodes, note how bright the bulbs are where the blinds are missing and how much light is being shone through the blinds in the middle. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some excellent photo's of Stratford. There is quite a difference between the cab ends of the class 312 and class 306 units! Great to see the photo's of the Stratford open day. Love them.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Dave, Stratford MPD breakdown crane July 79 C4636 is ADRC 96701. I spent a lot of time helping to repair it if it went wrong hence my RMweb name and my avatar of said crane.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Another great set of pictures. Is the red and only car on the car transporter in C979 a Morgan or perhaps a Jag. I can't quite work it out. 

I've always wondered which make and model of car it is.  It wasn't any clearer on the original slide.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Bluebell Railway photos, it is amazing how the line has developed over the years.

The ECML at Swayfield is as fascinating as ever. Interesting how green livered locos could be seen relatively late on. I know they would soon be gone and repainted into blue.

With warmest regards,

Rob.