Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi John

They were ran for the bashers. :good:

Clive,

Aha! I thought as much! I mean even if it was a weekend (spare locos), in the summer (no train heating) and a slow route, surely there must have been other types more suitable  :D

Seriously though, thanks to all for their informative replies.I guess a pair of 20's was probably the lowest cost option (I wonder were costs even a big concern for the folks rostering locos in those days?).

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos of Cleethorpes and Brockelsby today. There is a good view of the station buildings in C15861. The building was certainly designed to be attractive as well as functional.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Talking of 20s and bashers (which I definitely was not), I was trainspotting with my mate at Bletchley in about 1963/4. A class 20 EE Type 1 came in, nose first, on a set of suburban coaches from the south. We hurriedly bought a ticket and boarded it for a ride to Northampton and back.

What price that today?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Talking of 20s and bashers (which I definitely was not), I was trainspotting with my mate at Bletchley in about 1963/4. A class 20 EE Type 1 came in, nose first, on a set of suburban coaches from the south. We hurriedly bought a ticket and boarded it for a ride to Northampton and back.

What price that today?

Stewart

According to London Midland's website, £10.70 for an off-peak return and £18.30 for an anytime return.......

:locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

Guest B Exam

According to London Midland's website, £10.70 for an off-peak return and £18.30 for an anytime return.......

:locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

3 legs, 2 arms and a ear!

As somebody mentioned earlier in the thread - I forget who (middle age setting in...) about 20s being the cheapest option, in the summer 1985 the SO Derby-Skegness was booked a 45/1 and aircons!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Toton and Long Eaton. The class 20's seen at Toton are all equally careworn, and many of the class was like that in the seventies . The class 47 seen in C3767 also reminds me of the typical condition that many could be found in at the time of the photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Guest B Exam

Another quality batch of photos David. In photo C3767 - the one with the 47 on the MGR train, a former residance of mine is clearly visable! I spent 2 years living above the corner shop next to the footbridge in the background circa 1999-2001 when I used to work in Long Eaton! What a small world it is....

I could lineside northbound trains out of the lounge window. Saw some interesting stuff going past the window on their way to and from Toton. The most bizzare was freshly painted in GWR green 60081 hauling a selection of preserved AC electrics to Old Oak Common open day. I about fell off the sofa when went past. Fully lined green with brass numberplates and covered up nameplates ready for naming the following day!

Can't beat a bit of Toton south end and Long Eaton David.

I seem to recall one of the signalmen at Long Eaton Town Crossing (when it was still a gate box) being dressed in a German Railways uniform.

Does anyone else remember that character? Or have I totally lost the plot?

• RMweb Premium

That last photo proves that some of the cast chimneys in kits are correct when they don't line up properly! 

Nice shots again Dave, thanks.

Andy G

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You can't fool me.

I've seen enough of WaverlyWest's thread to know that first photo is a model!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the High Dyke branch photo's. In particular the one of Flying Scotsman running tender first in J3589.

The ones at Edinburgh Waverley are now historic, and worthy of close inspection. The one of 47482 is a fine portrait of that 47.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

On Saturday afternoon I was in Cramlington and decided to spend an hour or so at the station.

The light wasn't brilliant and in retrospect a higher ISO and faster shutter speed might have been a good idea, but the images are acceptable to me.

Some older images to follow later on.

post-5613-0-72109900-1470056517_thumb.jpg

BSC_0992 Cramlington 142070 2A18 Metrocentre to Morpeth 1428 30th July 2016

post-5613-0-59309100-1470056526_thumb.jpg

BSC_0995 Cramlington 221122 1V64 Edinburgh to Plymouth 1429 30 July 2016.

post-5613-0-63693100-1470056534_thumb.jpg

BSC_0997 Cramlington Class 221 1S41 Plymouth to Edinburgh1446 30 July 2016

post-5613-0-96557600-1470056541_thumb.jpg

BSC_0999 Cramlington 82214 1E17 Edinburgh to Kings X 1449 30 July 2016

post-5613-0-97706700-1470056547_thumb.jpg

BSC_1001 Cramlington 91111 1S15 Kings X to Edinburgh 1452 30 July 2016

post-5613-0-80123200-1470056555_thumb.jpg

BSC_1003 Cramlington 142070 2A15 Morpeth to Metro Centre 1456 30 July 2016

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

That last photo shows a good example of a concrete bracket signal. The 'anti-finial' at the bottom of the doll is actually a separate casting, and having handled one, I wouldn't recommend walking under one!

Yet more crackers Dave!

Andy G

• Like 1

Spalding 37090 SO Manchester Piccadilly to Yarmouth 13th Aug 77 C3495  This is the same train as in the previous photo, having changed engines.  For the record the train had a Class 47 from Manchester to Sheffield, 2 Class 25s from Sheffield to Lincoln and then a Class 37 from Lincoln to Yarmouth.

Oh to have such a wealth of traction on one service train today.

J1582

A wealth of detail of years gone by in this one, from the Mark 1 train on the left, long through freight, local DMU, parcels train with one of the ubiquitous ex-SR PMVs leading, through to the various freight wagons in the yard.

Brings a tear to my eye, it does...