Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of Scottish photos today. The first two of Crianlarich show work taking place on a siding, with those at work, as was the case back then, not covered in hi vis gear which they would be today. The first one of Oban is good in the way you have McTaig's Tower in the background looking down on the station.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I remember my first visit to the west coast of Scotland, in 1971. We parked the motor caravan and spent the night in a layby, midway between Crianlarich and Oban. The evening was spent watching green class 27s threading around the mountains, as the valley echoed to the sound of Sulzer engines thumping away. I was fascinated by the fact that the passenger services ran with a motley collection of freight wagons on the back. Happy days!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent and very nostalgic photos of the ECML. Even the MkII stock is mostly dirty in C4349. How things were allowed to get into such a state I don't think will ever really be known. I remember one train of relatively new MkIIf stock arriving at Kings Cross in June, 1978, and you could not make out the blue and grey livery of the coaches for brake dust and general dirt.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

The shots of 31s on passenger trains evoke some memories. My other half lived in London while I was working in Stevenage. She would get on the Grimsby train at Kings Cross, I would get on an outer suburban Stevenage - Peterborough with a 31 and Mk1s (including compartments tock)  A change onto the Grimsby train - once ending in the Gresley Buffet car tacked on the back for a slow but pleasant trip to Grimsby via Lincoln.

Baz

• Like 2

Dad  often used to visit Scotland at this time of year, so today we'll go to Crianlarich on a summer's day in 1973.  Then we look at Oban in to see it August and October (my photos) with a look at Connel ferry bridge on the way.

Trains are a bit few and far between in this part of the world.

Even fewer just at the moment...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-37057499

Guest B Exam

Photo C4349 isn't 47548 as there was never 47 that carried that number! It was supposed to of been converted from 47125, but for some strange reason, it never got converted and stayed as 47125 until it was scrapped!

On enlarging the photo, it looks like 47518.

Drooling over the pair of 31s in the snow at Gamston with a rake of aircons behind. Must of been a weather related use in using a pair of type 2s instead of the normal type 4s or 5s at the time!

Hi David

Love seeing the photo's of the Manningtree to Harwich line, great memories.

As a youngster catching the 'little train' from Manningtree to Dovercourt to see my grandparents

As usual David lots of memories being brought back. The 76's remind me of many happy visits to Guide Bridge and Reddish Depot, the later as mentioned on another thread with a number dumped 76 bodies. 

Shame the whole thing was closed beyond Glossop as I am sure it would be massively busy today including passenger trains. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely photos of the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Railway - a delightful line. Then there are a set of nostalgic photos or the Woodhead line, which, as you rightly said, cannot be repeated. It is a sheer delight to see the 76's at work. Some classic shots of them.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

C4997 Wasn't 76022 the last one with the BR crest?

I think that you're right on that. I've got a picture of 76 022 in July 1977, at Rotherwood, still with a lion and wheel.

OT - but was 24 021 the last 24 (blue with a lion and wheel)? I've a picture of that, paired with 24 022 (blue with a double arrow) at Sheffield, in late 1975.

• RMweb Premium

I think that you're right on that. I've got a picture of 76 022 in July 1977, at Rotherwood, still with a lion and wheel.

OT - but was 24 021 the last 24 (blue with a lion and wheel)? I've a picture of that, paired with 24 022 (blue with a double arrow) at Sheffield, in late 1975.

Apologies to Dave for the continued diversion:

According to comments on the RPA photos, 76022 took the totem to the scrapyard though I don't know when that was.

76022 at Dinting on 3/7/1981: http://www.railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?img=0176020033000

Close-up of totem at Rotherwood on 30/5/1981: http://www.railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?img=0955020054000

Pic of 24021 at Reddish on 7/12/1975: http://www.railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?img=0720025914000

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1