Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

That unit is a 310, having magnified the photo, owing to the fact that it has B4 and B5 bogies, a sharp tumblehome, different roof vents to a 304, and as mentioned, no first class on the trailer car.

Best regards,

Rob.

I seem to recall that a small batch of 312s were allocated to the LM for use in the W Midlands as well, could it be one of these? This could account for the blue grey livery too.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recall that a small batch of 312s were allocated to the LM for use in the W Midlands as well, could it be one of these? This could account for the blue grey livery too.

312 201-4 which IIRC were usually found on the Walsall services via Bescot. 310s were only just being repainted into blue/grey at that time.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

There were a lot of extra trains, I think some 304s were brought in from the north west.

David

They also used 304s on extras after pop/rock concerts at the NEC Arena.

I rode a 304 back to Manchester after watching AC/DC. Nice bouncy seats, but couldn't hear the sounds of the 304 as my ears where still recovering from being in row 10.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I recall a poorly-maintained such wagon en route to Mossend Yard causing multiple track circuit failures on the Down WCML as salt leaked out of the vehicle !

C4254: I remember that month and its wintry weather, the memory and the picture still make me shiver !

Great photos Dave, thanks once again for posting.

They later sent the Winsford salt trains north via the S&C as track circuit failures caused by leaking salt solution created less disruption. It was always worse on a rainy day.

The local CCTV controlled  level crossing used to get TC failures when they gritted the road crossing it. I don't know what it's like now though.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Teesside photos. In the one of the NER tile map, in C7820, you can make out the line that never was from Beverley to Beeford via North Frodingham.

In the last photo, there is a good view of 47377. It would make a great weathering project.

And a question about the height of the bridge in the first photo. I wonder if, at that time, the bridge was too low for a double deck bus?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Nice set of pictures as usual.

I think the Albert Bridge C6493 looks better then than it does in this wishy-washy paint job:

https://goo.gl/maps/incAiMjg8UR2

Rob:

According to the road sign (see Google street view above) it is currently 4.00m or 13' 3"

The massiveness of the bridge does make it look much lower though.

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Nice set of pictures as usual.

I think the Albert Bridge C6493 looks better then than it does in this wishy-washy paint job:

https://goo.gl/maps/incAiMjg8UR2

Rob:

According to the road sign (see Google street view above) it is currently 4.00m or 13' 3"

The massiveness of the bridge does make it look much lower though.

Cheers

Keith

I seem to recall when I was a kid it was dark grey with ferrodo advertising on it

• RMweb Premium

Cleveland Transit buses had black steering wheels if they wouldn't go under that bridge, white if they would. A very simple system which has, of course, been done away with with the inevitable consequences.

I don't think any of the standard DD buses would clear that bridge. e.g. The Enviro 400MMC starts at around 14' 3" and the Wright Gemini 3 at 13' 11"

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Thank you everyone for answering the bus question. A Lodekka should have managed to get under that bridge.

Best regards,

Rob.

Even a Lodekka would have come to grief. It's 3" too tall"

Barton's 861 would have managed it.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Didn't they run all sorts of extra trains for the Motor Show back then?

And does anyone think the 304 might be coupled to a 310 behind it? Fairly unusual?

I have seen it at Crewe https://mark5812.smugmug.com/UKpicturesclassorder/Class-310/i-4xftWWV/A back in 1989 on a footex from Liverpool to Wembley. Thought at the time it's a long way to travel on a 304 with only 1 toilet and no corridor connection.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Standard height for (traditional) d/d buses was 14'6" (highbridge) or 13'9" (lowbridge).

Stewart

Until they decimated the area with the A66 and junctions there was another bridge at the opposite end of the station which I seem to remember was a lot taller but had a tight T junction on the opposite side but I think buses used it

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photos of the Blyth and Tyne today. In C6459, there is a great photo of 37 217. It appears that it must have had a rough shunt at some time prior to the photo if the broken cowling is anything to go by.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photos of the Blyth and Tyne today. In C6459, there is a great photo of 37 217. It appears that it must have had a rough shunt at some time prior to the photo if the broken cowling is anything to go by.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Could that just be due to the rot setting in/corrosion as that was the reason for cutting them back which started in the late 70s....

Dave