Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Updating my own post!

D1575 Pride of Tinsley at Kings Cross.

Perhaps Mark can elucidate as to what train it had worked in on? 1A12.

attachicon.gif1-MSP - 145 - 1575 Kings Cross.jpg

Mike.

Hi Mike

I bet it was a day when I wasn't spotting at Bedford and the Master Cutler went through with a cop on the front. That thing always was on the Master Cutler. We stopped saying the "Culter is due soon" to "1575 is running late today."

Updating my own post!

In 1971, whilst in that style of blue, 1575 was a not-infrequent visitor on the ECML. Aside from seeing it on the Midland Lines I recorded it on six occasions on the ECML, on 9th March, 5th May, 26th May (hauling fellow Tinsley locos 1531 and 1568, dead in tow, possibly to/from Stratford DRS), 1st June, 16th October and 21st October. I'm sure that there were several others! Unfortunately, I hadn't started logging the diagrams in 1971.

Updating my own post!

Mike.

Depends on the date. For the May 1969 and May 1970 timetables it was the 08:10 Newcastle-KX. In the May 1971 TT it was the 09:03 Cleethorpes-KX. In May 1972 1A12 wasn't allocated. As the 08:10 was an air-braked train I would go for the 09:03 from Cleethorpes.

• RMweb Premium

The photos of the Talyllyn Railway make me wonder how they got around the continuous brake issue. I can see that the locos have got RCH style jumper cables front and rear, presumably for controlling the brakes, but how did they work?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

its only after preservation that the talyllyn had continuous braking, the locos were fitted with air brake pumps, and theyre not cables, they are the brake pipes

0.jpg

So I presume that the RCH cable housings are modified to take the pipework. I would have thought it would have been easier to just use proper air brake pipes....

Thanks

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I believe the RCH cables predate the air brake,I'm sure I've read somewhere that the cables if parted would cause a bell to ring denoting a divided train and the brakevan was always at the tywyn end

• RMweb Gold

Regarding my Talyllyn photos today, post 8901.

William McConnel formed the Aberdovey Slate Quarry Company in 1864 which then leased the land including Bryn Eglws Quarry.

Later that year he was able to start construction of the Talyllyn Railway from the quarry to Tywyn.

He managed to obtain an exemption from the 1889 Regulation of Railways Act which stated that passenger trains had to be fitted with continuous brakes, on the ground that speeds were low and the cost would bankrupt his company.

By the late 1990s the Railway Inspectorate insisted that the Talyllyn Railway should comply with the act.

The last locomotive was fitted with air  brake equipment to provide train braking in 2001.

So my photos were taken before the days of continuous brakes.  

Source: Wikipdiea plus my own knowledge gathered over the years from various publications.

Edit:  This link gives more detail.  You need to click on the first post by John S Robinson.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/uk.railway/lA_WU3FA8G4

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is that what one might loosely call the goods yard gate in J2033? If so another prototype for my ideas file. Thanks.

Really evocative photos, as ever.

Jonathan

Here's part of the goods yard taken from just inside the gate.  When it still had track and traffic.

post-5613-0-77002000-1484595150_thumb.jpg

Barkston V2 down c 1960 JM87

It's also in my black and white thread.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Updating my own post!

Mike.

I've finally found the magic book!

Depends on the date. For the May 1969 and May 1970 timetables it was the 08:10 Newcastle-KX. In the May 1971 TT it was the 09:03 Cleethorpes-KX. In May 1972 1A12 wasn't allocated. As the 08:10 was an air-braked train I would go for the 09:03 from Cleethorpes.

The photo is dated 1:6:1971.

That ties up the loose ends of my memory, confirms the Lincolnshire connection in the cyclical diagram, thanks Mark.

Mike.