Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

The photo is dated 1:6:1971.

That ties up the loose ends of my memory, confirms the Lincolnshire connection in the cyclical diagram, thanks Mark.

Great work. I saw it the same day - based on my records for the day it would have been on that inbound working!

I believe that J2083 is 9010. From the nameplate size and layout of the lettering on the plate it can't be 9019 or 9021. The only other alternative is 9006 but I think that the lettering better matches the format, word length etc. of 9010.

J2084 is Brush 2 no 5643.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A collection of somewhat sad photos of the closed Saxby Junction to Bourne railway line. They do show, however, how the infrastructure of a closed railway can survive after the tracks have been ripped up, and the photos form a most valuable historical record.

The Ellistown Colliery photos have a fascination all of their own, and I'm sure they will inspire some layouts based upon them - especially with Hornbys remarkable little Peckett tank loco borne in mind.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. A collection of somewhat sad photos of the closed Saxby Junction to Bourne railway line. They do show, however, how the infrastructure of a closed railway can survive after the tracks have been ripped up, and the photos form a most valuable historical record.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Of course many of the buildings do find further use.

Stations as houses, goods sheds in use for transport firms/builders yards etc. so complete obliteration of a closed railway often doesn't happen.

Keith

I tell you what folks, every time I come to this thread and peruse Dave's wonderful images, it makes me want to build a model railway...... t'ain't going to happen in our current abode though, more's the pity!

Keep 'em coming Dave, if you can take the strain I can ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent series of photos of Haymarket and Millerhill. In the first photo, I see that the class 101 in the middle in the blue and grey livery still has a four lamp cab end. I had forgotten how long some with these cab ends lasted for.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Nice pictures of millerhill, bang right in my era. Used to cycle up there regularly to see what was on shed and on the move.

C7913 shows the former waverley route heading off on the left of the picture. Although the route was recently reinstated this particular section wasn't reused and was bypassed by a brand new trackbed running from the west side of millerhill across to sheriff hall roundabout.

• RMweb Gold

Getting my daily dose of David's excellent photos before work.

What I like about the photos is that they are many "out in the countryside" and not shots of places you normally see in the publications (e.g London Mainline terminals big stations and depots). They are thoughtfully composed, and I find the infrastructure shots highly useful from a modelling perspective. I'm also amazed at the size of the collection, and long may this thread continue, many thanks to David for the work he puts in to keep us happy.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

c5472, notice how many slag dogfish there are. also, c5118 a 37 with buffer cowling and oval buffers .

That was reasonably common North East mod there are pictures of green 37 in the 60s on Teesside with this mod

c5472, notice how many slag dogfish there are. also, c5118 a 37 with buffer cowling and oval buffers .

There was a batch of NE 37's that had oval buffers fitted, probably for a specific working. The earliest I've got photos of them fitted is 1969. These are the ones I've found so fitted, in photos up to now. D6755 (in green), 6761(in green) , D6767 (in green), 6770, 6771, 6773, 6774, 37072, 37074, 37079.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

I may be wrong but I'm sure I've seen them fitted in 67 pictures

I think it may have been for the large amount of unfitted work they did and Thornaby ones had jobs with steep gradients which knocked hell out of oleos

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of trains on the ECML. Ballymoss looks good in C5473. Relegated to secondary work by that date, it was still good to see and hear the Deltics at work over the ECML before their end by the end of December.

With warmest regards,

Rob.