Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A lovely collection of photos from 'around Cambridge'. In C5070 you can see one of the ex-Hull class 105 DMU's. The four lamp cab end and the first type of guards van with only one large side window are the clues. The photo below shows the other type of class 105.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

C5070 - The coach on the extreme right is intriguing. Not seen one with that profile or window arrangement, to my knowledge. Looks like a guard/private area, on a trailer vehicle. Any ideas?

Looks like a MK2 brake to me:

e.g.http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7686973946_c4d106a2aa_b.jpg

Any ideas what this working would have been, or was it just a stock move?

(C3209)

There weren't any booked short 33-hauled passenger workings around that part of Kent then (although there were some 33+3Mk1s working Tonbridge/Redhill in peak hours). 

So this could have been the coaches off the 3am or thereabouts newspaper working out of Victoria to Ramsgate/Dover, although when I was spotting there just a year or so later, a single BSK off the papers would come back to London in daylight in a general parcels train.

Great pictures again David

A shame that the works closed and that the buildings were demolished as they and the sidings would have been better than the NRM shildon as it was a much bigger site

Most of the works buildings still exist, just are used for other businesses these days, indeed the G5 is being constructed in a building on the site from what I can gather locally.

Regards

Stuart

(C3209)

There weren't any booked short 33-hauled passenger workings around that part of Kent then (although there were some 33+3Mk1s working Tonbridge/Redhill in peak hours). 

So this could have been the coaches off the 3am or thereabouts newspaper working out of Victoria to Ramsgate/Dover, although when I was spotting there just a year or so later, a single BSK off the papers would come back to London in daylight in a general parcels train.

Did they have barrier vehicles on the Southern Region in those days?  If I saw that formation today that is what would come to mind.

Jim

Did they have barrier vehicles on the Southern Region in those days?  If I saw that formation today that is what would come to mind.

Jim

Good theory, but the only barrier vehicles I remember at that period were for the single-buffer connections within units on the suburban stock, and those were old SR parcel-type vans.

The rest of the EMU stock had droppable buckeyes (or normal drawhooks and buffers for the SUBs). I'm sure there are photos on RMWeb somewhere showing 33s pulling EPB units in the snow for example.

There's a 33/0 with 4-CEPs in the snow at about 3:10 in this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp2wcVEHlx8

and another at the bottom of this page: http://www.kentrail.org.uk/Dartford_6.htm

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos of the ECML today. I think, judging by the nameplates, window conditions, etc, that you have both 55's correctly indentified.

And just look at how the telegraph wires make a pattern in that first photo - the overhead catenary is the nearest to that these days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1S35 was the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh

1A20 was 11:15SX /11:42SO Leeds-KX (last 4 coaches 10:45SX/11:10SO Bradford portion)

1N18 was the 15:00 KX-Newcastle (the headcode has slipped somewhat to between L & M)

5L43 appears to be ecs. The stock is secondary. Maybe a special working?

J2656 was almost certainly 4E35 the 13:58 Bathgate-Dagenham Dock

• RMweb Gold

1S35 was the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh

1A20 was 11:15SX /11:42SO Leeds-KX (last 4 coaches 10:45SX/11:10SO Bradford portion)

1N18 was the 15:00 KX-Newcastle (the headcode has slipped somewhat to between L & M)

5L43 appears to be ecs. The stock is secondary. Maybe a special working?

J2656 was almost certainly 4E35 the 13:58 Bathgate-Dagenham Dock

Is there a 1L43 anywhere in the WTT Mark?

Mike.