Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

5L43 rings a bell with me - but I can't find any references in any of my notes about it. I've a feeling that it was an early afternoon down working (despite it being an out of sequence reporting number). I'll keeping looking.

I agree with Rob regarding the Deltics. I think that you've got both of them spot on.

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Gold

I can't see anything above 1L39 on the southern end of the ECML. It is possible that Doncaster to Leeds or York services which may have higher numbers.

Just a thought.

May 71 is around the time of the introduction of Mk2D coaches, could it be a Holloway CS to Neville Hill stock transfer possibly?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Some great shots there David, was the line through Butterley still open then?

It was closed then.  I thought I could quote the dates but couldn't remember them so I have looked up the information in John Gough's "The Midland Railway - A Chronology".

He states:

Butterley station opened to passengers and goods traffic  1st May 1875

Name changed to Butterley for Ripley and Swanwick 29th July 1935

Closed to passengers 16th June 1947

Closed to goods 2nd November 1964

Excursion trains continued to serve Butterley until after 1964

Station signal box closed 7th March 1965

Crich Junction to Swanwick sidings (through Butterley) closed 23rd December 1968

Swanwick sidings to Ironville Junction closed 4th October 1971.

It was then used by Adamson Butterley Ltd until 11th June 1979.

Midland Railway Trust re opened Hammersmith to Swanwick sidings 22nd August 1981

MRT reopened Swanwick sidings to Codnor Park junction 29th May 1982.

The history of the line is quite complicated.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's. They give detail that those with trains in them cannot always do so. Those of Hindlow lime works show how cleaner the air is today. I'm not familiar with the line there, and just wonder which tunnel that is in C867.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

They give detail that those with trains in them cannot always do so. Those of Hindlow lime works show how cleaner the air is today. I'm not familiar with the line there, and just wonder which tunnel that is in C867.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hindlow

5L43 rings a bell with me - but I can't find any references in any of my notes about it. I've a feeling that it was an early afternoon down working (despite it being an out of sequence reporting number). I'll keeping looking.

Just a thought.

May 71 is around the time of the introduction of Mk2D coaches, could it be a Holloway CS to Neville Hill stock transfer possibly?

I can't see 5L43 in the WTT. However in the carriage workings a set that matches that shown in the photo (BSO, CK, 4SK, CK, BSO, 2SK) is a Saturday working - 1A43 07:00 York-KX dated 8th May to 2nd Oct. From 12th June to 4th Sept the return working is 1L11 the 11:15 KX-Scarborough. From 8th May to 5th June, and 11th Sept to 2nd Oct, it worked ecs KX-York although no time is shown - hence I would think 5L43 for the headcode (after working 1A43).

I can't see 5L43 in the WTT. However in the carriage workings a set that matches that shown in the photo (BSO, CK, 4SK, CK, BSO, 2SK) is a Saturday working - 1A43 07:00 York-KX dated 8th May to 2nd Oct. From 12th June to 4th Sept the return working is 1L11 the 11:15 KX-Scarborough. From 8th May to 5th June, and 11th Sept to 2nd Oct, it worked ecs KX-York although no time is shown - hence I would think 5L43 for the headcode (after working 1A43).

Sounds about right, Mark. Although I didn't say it before, the bell that it rang was that it was a SO working. I recall an early afternoon down ECS working which would have left London around 13:00, based upon the time that I saw it. Your logic seems very sound. I'd stake my house on that being the correct explanation.

AFAIR a Deltic on it was very unusual. IIRC it was usually a class 40 (certainly when it ran to Scarborough, in service). I do remember both the service & ECS being class 31 worked on occasions. I wonder whether the Deltic was a partial failure and had been swapped for the incoming loco at King's Cross and was being sent back north for attention? 21 did have a power unit swap during the last week of April 1971 and then another one (of the replaced unit) over 10th/11th/12th May 1971.

Edited by 35A
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not many trains around today, and you may have to search to see them but I hope the photos will still be of interest.

attachicon.gifHindlow Dowlow lime works June 69 J1729.jpg

Hindlow Dowlow lime works June 69 J1729

attachicon.gifHindlow view east March 72 C867.jpg

Hindlow view east March 72 C867

attachicon.gifHindlow Class 47 in distance 19th April 90 C14407.jpg

Hindlow Class 47 in distance 19th April 90 C14407

Those pics really take me back. One of my lasting memories is driving along that road past Hindlow to Buxton and seeing 8Fs working the trains. Thank you (yet again)

• RMweb Gold

C2749 looks more like an RSH or Hawthorn Leslie than a Peckett to me but I may be wrong.

Cheers,

David

Definitely a Hawthorne Leslie - see

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60790501@N04/sets/72157626792048263/

Jonathan

Many thanks. for pointing that out.

I have amended the caption to Hawthorn Leslie.

It is in fact Hawthorn Leslie 3793, built in 1953.  It was bought from the CEGB, having worked at Newport Gwent.

At the time of the photo it was owned by Steam Enterprises Limited who stored their locos at Carnforth.

It's surprising the details I can find when I actually get out my reference books - in this case a copy of the ARPS year book "Steam '77".

David

• RMweb Premium

Pedant mode on, 

J2631 it is Streetly according to the Ian Allan atlas and Wikipedia, not to be confused with Streatley in the Thames valley which unlike Streetly still has a station, even if it has to share it with Goring.

Pedant mode off.

Nice photos again.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Pedant mode on, 

J2631 it is Streetly according to the Ian Allan atlas and Wikipedia, not to be confused with Streatley in the Thames valley which unlike Streetly still has a station, even if it has to share it with Goring.

Pedant mode off.

Nice photos again.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan.

Once again it's my useless typing, Dad had it right.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos from Steamtown, Carnforth. Very much views of their time - how things have changed!

The collection of Midland Railway photo's make fascinating viewing. In J2631 at Streetly station there is a good example of a two wagon freight train. I think most modellers should be able to accommodate two wagons.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

attachicon.gifCarnforth Peckett Faraday 5th June 76 C2749.jpg

Carnforth Peckett Faraday 5th June 76 C2749

Prior to its move to preservation, "Faraday" worked at the Newport (Mon.) Power Station which was across the River Usk from Cashmores scrap yard.

In one eventful weekend, a friend and I travelled from Cardiff to Newport to do the various scrap yards, including Cashmores, Buttigiegs, Woodfields etc.

Whilst wandering around the docks area we came across 6000 King George V inside the former Dock Street wagon works, under renovation by A.R.Adams staff, and were allowed to clamber over the loco.

From the top of the Octopus Bridge wall we could see a small steam loco shunting on the opposite bank of the river, so a quick dash across George Street bridge and we found the crew about to put him to bed as their Saturday morning shift had ended.

The driver told us that if we returned early Monday morning we'd get a cab ride.

We did, and he was as good as his word - taking us the length of the Nettlefolds Branch, crammed in like sardines with the shunter and another chap, and waiting for us to watch the South Wales Pullman pass on the SWML.

Sadly, Faraday, a Hawthorn Leslie product (or was it their successor RSH ?) was scrapped not long after your picture was taken. 

Thanks Dave.

Brian R

• Like 3