Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave.Excellent photos today. In C14088, 150236, on a service to Hull is something I remember all too well. The seats became most uncomfortable after the first few miles, and how I longed for Hull Paragon station! I believe some 150's have now had better seats fitted, but the originals were truly awful!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave.Excellent photos today. In C14088, 150236, on a service to Hull is something I remember all too well. The seats became most uncomfortable after the first few miles, and how I longed for Hull Paragon station! I believe some 150's have now had better seats fitted, but the originals were truly awful!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Good job you didn't travel on the Hull - Holyhead when a 142 was booked for it........................

• RMweb Gold

They also get to Norwich, when I worked for central I hated them on Norwich Liverpool's as the cabs were draughty and rock hard driver's seat.

I still drive the Anglia ones to and from works and they have improved a little

They also get to Norwich, when I worked for central I hated them on Norwich Liverpool's as the cabs were draughty and rock hard driver's seat.

I still drive the Anglia ones to and from works and they have improved a little

My preferred unit for any kind of work, plenty of space unlike the 158s and no damned air-con, what the heck is wrong with fresh air? That said the saloon heaters can leave a lot to be desired this time of year :dontknow:

It's about time we had another look at Steamtown, Carnforth in the 1970s.

For some reason the weather was usually dull when I went there.  From time to time I tried taking photos of locos in the shed, with somewhat mixed results.

attachicon.gifa Steamtown Hunslet 2' gauge Russell Feb 73 C1175.jpg

Steamtown Hunslet 1' 11.5" gauge Russell Feb 73 C1175

attachicon.gifCarnforth Peckett Faraday 5th June 76 C2749.jpg

Carnforth Peckett Faraday 5th June 76 C2749

attachicon.gifCarnforth 6990 Raveningham Hall 5th June 76 C2757.jpg

Carnforth 6990 Raveningham Hall 5th June 76 C2757

attachicon.gifCarnforth LNWR 790 Harwicke 6th June 76 C2769.jpg

Carnforth LNWR 790 Harwicke 6th June 76 C2769

attachicon.gifa Steamtown SR Lord Nelson 30850 25th March 78 C3750.jpg

Steamtown SR Lord Nelson 30850 25th March 78 C3750

David

Hi Dave, one correction and also an update, C2749 Faraday was a Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn 14" 0-4-0ST. I say was as it was subsequently scrapped by its owner even though ostensibly preserved at the time so this is quite a historic photograph of it at Carnforth.

The Midland main line today at Ratcliffe on Soar between Nottingham and Loughborough.

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Class 25 D7511 up July 71 July 71 J2719.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 25 D7511 up July 71 July 71 J2719

David

Love the shot J2719 David. Such a difference in the grey shade on the last wagon compared with the others in view. Also the difference in the thickness of the top strengthener on the sides. Some are quite thick, whilst others look to be just an angle. They look to be the some capacity wagons. Different makers and differences in build?

Paul J.

Love the shot J2719 David. Such a difference in the grey shade on the last wagon compared with the others in view. Also the difference in the thickness of the top strengthener on the sides. Some are quite thick, whilst others look to be just an angle. They look to be the some capacity wagons. Different makers and differences in build?

Paul J.

The first one's a 24.5t type (MEO). the other wagons are a mix of welded-body and rivetted 21 tonners; it's the latter which have the less-substantial top edge to the body. I wouldn't be surprised to find ex-Big 4 loco-coal wagons and ex-PO 'Pole' (GWR design) wagons amongst them- they were relatively common in block trains of industrial coal at the time. I would imagine this is a train of coking-coal empties from Corby.

• RMweb Premium

Paul J.

The first one's a 24.5t type (MEO). the other wagons are a mix of welded-body and rivetted 21 tonners; it's the latter which have the less-substantial top edge to the body. I wouldn't be surprised to find ex-Big 4 loco-coal wagons and ex-PO 'Pole' (GWR design) wagons amongst them- they were relatively common in block trains of industrial coal at the time. I would imagine this is a train of coking-coal empties from Corby.

As you cannot see the loco that could easily have had an ex LMS steam loco on the front (apart from the date).

It's so much a steam era scene but with "modern" traction up front, but now 45+ years old.

Keith

Would be an interesting routing if they were empty from Corby, they're on the up goods so heading back there!

It is an interesting make up though, looks like quite a varied consist. 21/ 24t mins were pretty rare at Corby as the tippler couldn't really cope with them, they were usually shunted out of any trains they arrived in and could be found together on one road in the "Wood Sidings", presumably to be emptied as one batch. I can't ever recall seeing a block train of them there.

Most coking coal arrived in the 16t, non-pool S&L/ BSC tipplers, BR wagons were a last resort when volumes dictated, S&L were notoriously mean and no point in paying for someone elses wagons when you can use your own I guess.

I think there are some directional problems. J1565 contradicts J2043. I don't know the area but I would have said the concrete sleepered track was the fast lines in which case J2043 is right and is up on the slow line. Then all the others are wrong. But I stand to be corrected!

Edited by mark54

• RMweb Gold

Nope, t'other end of unit. I presume the Maestro van I see at Norwich must be yours?

You must see me at Eccles Road from time to time - I always acknowledge the drivers and (most of the time the) guards

J2043 is on the down fast, i.e. heading towards Trent.

Yes, that makes more sense in terms of the types of train seen.

The Mk2c coaches in J2041 are almost certainly brand new and on a test train from Derby. They did not run on the MML at this time.

• RMweb Gold

You must see me at Eccles Road from time to time - I always acknowledge the drivers and (most of the time the) guards

You are one of the few photographers who actually wave when we wave at you.

I was in the secondmans seat this morning and driving on the way back this afternoon.

Most of our drivers at stowmarket are approachable and when we are on the 68 short set will always talk to enthusiasts if we have the time. It can be quite lonely up the front!

• Like 2

Would be an interesting routing if they were empty from Corby, they're on the up goods so heading back there!

It is an interesting make up though, looks like quite a varied consist. 21/ 24t mins were pretty rare at Corby as the tippler couldn't really cope with them, they were usually shunted out of any trains they arrived in and could be found together on one road in the "Wood Sidings", presumably to be emptied as one batch. I can't ever recall seeing a block train of them there.

Most coking coal arrived in the 16t, non-pool S&L/ BSC tipplers, BR wagons were a last resort when volumes dictated, S&L were notoriously mean and no point in paying for someone elses wagons when you can use your own I guess.

I hadn't realised Corby couldn't deal with these wagons. The only other place that I could think they might be going, or have come from, is Willington power station, but that's on the Derby- Burton line.