Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Don't correct them David, it will do us out of a job!

Absolutely! Apart from the wonderful, memory-jerking photographs, one of the fun things about looking at this thread every day is to see if we can contribute any useful additional information, identities etc. My 1970s/1980s notes have never seen so much reference to them - sadly I very rarely find occasions when we were both in the same area at the same time.  :(

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great collection of photos of Scottish railways and scenery. Some good cloud formations to be seen too. In the last photo', the driver of the 26 appears to be hanging from his door. I wonder what that was all about?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Perhaps he thought he was on Indian railways or more likely the train was stationary and he had an 'arrangement' to pick up some local produce, quite common occurrence in those parts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like those 'Train in the Landscape' ECML photo's at Corby Glenn. They show a view of the railway that many of us will have seen, but rarely photographed. Also they are good reference material for those of us who model railways, for they show how a railway goes through the landscape. And 9004 looks majestic at the head of an Edinburgh to Kings X express in J2192.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Really lovely photos of trains in the landscape and great references for modelling - as long as you have an aircraft hanger to build your layout in. They make me realise just how inadequate most of our models are in this respect. There was a model a scale three quarters of a mile long at Scalefour North today, but it was only a narrow slice or the landscape with no wonderful foreground ploughed fields.

And that second man. Looking for a dropped token perhaps? Or had they got rid of them by then.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Trains in the landscape today with photos taken around Corby Glen on the ECML.

I doubt you will be able to work out the loco numbers.

attachicon.gifCorby Glen Class 46 Kings X to Newcastle March 70 J2076.jpg

Corby Glen Class 46 Kings X to Newcastle March 70 J2076

I know that place, just over 30 years later, but from the other side of the bridge in the same lane, GNER n/b DVT. Spent some time trying panning shots in very variable light conditions....

post-29514-0-02162200-1491084416_thumb.jpg

Dave

• Like 10

I doubt you will be able to work out the loco numbers.

attachicon.gifCorby Glen Class 55 9004 Edinburgh to Kings X Aug 70 J2192.jpg

Corby Glen Class 55 9004 Edinburgh to Kings X Aug 70 J2192

Hee hee. Want to bet? Another cracking set of pictures, by the way. We so often forget that a good photograph doesn't have to be a close-up, trains in the countryside look great.

I'm going to be a pain and challenge the identification on J2192. The nameplate is too short for 9004 - which had four alpha characters clear of the outer edges of the battery box vents, on each side. 4 was also in Doncaster Works from 3rd to 21st August 1970, lessening the likelihood.

I can't definitively identify it, as it doesn't magnify too well without losing definition. However, being in blue with a crest, it can't be 9013. It can't be 9016 as, at August 1970, that was the last Deltic running with a 'D' prefix in the number, which it carried into 1971. Looking at the wording layout of the nameplate in as high magnification as I can get, I would say the pattern fits ROYAL SCOTS GREY better (it looks like a three word name). The usual ID point, the footstep on the front, is somewhat in shadow but I think looks to have the squarer corners that 9000 has, rather than the slightly wider recess and rounded corners of the rest. So I think that its 9000.

Sorry, David!  :rolleyes:

(ducks and runs for cover!!!)

• Like 3

Hee hee. Want to bet? Another cracking set of pictures, by the way. We so often forget that a good photograph doesn't have to be a close-up, trains in the countryside look great.

I'm going to be a pain and challenge the identification on J2192. The nameplate is too short for 9004 - which had four alpha characters clear of the outer edges of the battery box vents, on each side. 4 was also in Doncaster Works from 3rd to 21st August 1970, lessening the likelihood.

I can't definitively identify it, as it doesn't magnify too well without losing definition. However, being in blue with a crest, it can't be 9013. It can't be 9016 as, at August 1970, that was the last Deltic running with a 'D' prefix in the number, which it carried into 1971. Looking at the wording layout of the nameplate in as high magnification as I can get, I would say the pattern fits ROYAL SCOTS GREY better (it looks like a three word name). The usual ID point, the footstep on the front, is somewhat in shadow but I think looks to have the squarer corners that 9000 has, rather than the slightly wider recess and rounded corners of the rest. So I think that its 9000.

Elementary my dear Watson :jester:

Some detective work there mister!

The crest also looks like the French Imperial eagle.....

• RMweb Premium

J462; are you sure this is an Up service; the load appears to be Fords of various types, with the second car being a Mk1 Cortina.

Looks like a view south off the end of the platform, even that prominent tree appears to still be there on the left of the track!

Google view from overbridge:

https://goo.gl/maps/UTKNMk1SHwp

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Kinbrace Class 26 5339 Inverness to Wick and Thurso Aug 73 C1329

This matches the consist for the 10:50 2K09 service from Inverness, with the Wick portion, at the rear, back to front. I suggest the second man is about to dismount to secure the crossing seen in the previous shot - C1327 - which in itself shows a nice contrast between the old blue wooden station sign and the modern crossing paraphernalia.

• RMweb Gold

J462; are you sure this is an Up service; the load appears to be Fords of various types, with the second car being a Mk1 Cortina.

Looks like a view south off the end of the platform, even that prominent tree appears to still be there on the left of the track!

Google view from overbridge:

https://goo.gl/maps/UTKNMk1SHwp

Keith

Having just looked at the photo more carefully it is indeed a down train, caption duly amended.

By the way, I assume everyone knows the golden rule for captioning photos:

"Never actually look at the image, simply copy whatever the photographer wrote down in his notes".

In this case it's one of Dad's photos and he transposed up and down - which I have often done too.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Railway - a very interesting narrow gauge railway.

I like the Yorkshire photos. Ulleskelf is a good place to take photos, and those 40's look good, and in J642 of D369, it is well weathered, which I may well use as a basis for weathering one my models.

And to think there was once a station at Picton. It certainly looks so peaceful in that photo from September, 1973.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The Like button is not enough.

I just love that last shot, and the containers in the first are interesting. I ought to know what they are but have forgotten.

Jonathan

Cement powder containers triang did a crude model in oo guage in the 1960s-70s

Cement powder containers triang did a crude model in oo guage in the 1960s-70s

Otherwise known as 'L'-type containers, IIRC. Initially used for cement, they were soon superceded by Presflos, and were later mainly used to convey powdered lime or dolomite to steelworks. Amongst other places, they were loaded from the limestone quarry at Grassington and the dolomite quarries near Ferryhill and Walnut Tree Junction.