Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What an extraordinary selection of photos from Nottinghamshire today. That first one is truly exquisite! It is just the kind of view to turn into an oil painting. Thank you for posting it, Dave.

I like the remaining photos too, and the second one of 4F 44441 and an 8F, at Kirby in Ashfield, is so redolent of an age that is so long gone.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think the best title for today's photos is "bits and pieces from Nottinghamshire".

attachicon.gifLinby GCR01 up freight Nov 52 J006.jpg

Linby GCR    ex LNER 01 up freight Nov 52 J006

attachicon.gifKirkby in Ashfield 4F 44441 and 8F April 64 J122.jpg

Kirkby in Ashfield 4F 44441 and 8F April 64 J122

attachicon.gifUpper Portland sidings MR Pye bridge to Kirkby in Ashfield line April 69 J1594.jpg

Upper Portland sidings MR Pye bridge to Kirkby in Ashfield line April 69 J1594

attachicon.gifChurch Warsop near Welbeck Colliery branch April 69 J1604.jpg

Church Warsop near Welbeck Colliery branch April 69 J1604

attachicon.gifTuxford Class 08 bridge over old A1 April 69 J1617.jpg

Tuxford Class 08 bridge over old A1 April 69 J1617

David

Lovely and evocative selection of pictures...Anyone spotted the moggy yet?

JF

Lovely and evocative selection of pictures...Anyone spotted the moggy yet?

JF

Wonderful pictures again, good to see the landscape and the detailed railway infrastructure.

Just spotted the cat JF, great fun.

Les

• Like 1

Yes, likewise. I made quite a few visits to Reddish, Guide Bridge, Wath, Rotherwood & Tinsley during the 70s but only ever saw any 76s working on a handful of occasions at the latter two locations plus at Godley Jn. I also saw the odd one on Crewe Works during visits but that was about it. I've got plenty of photographs but all of mine are static, barring one taken from above as one threaded through the cutting into Tinsley Yard.

I never got to ride the Woodhead route and never got out onto it properly for photography. As you say, a lasting regret.

I also got to Reddish and Guide Bridge a good few times but never over the Woodhead route. Also got too Tinsley a couple of times around 1980/1. Sadly with paper round and Saturday job commitments never really did rail tours. 

Shopping trips to Asda at Handsworth usually found me waiting at the bottom of he Car Park for the adults to finish in store.

And this picture explains why:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5302/5634000750_624c0f740a_b.jpg

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the ECML photo's. In particular the one of Tulyar, which looks so imposing and powerful in that photo. And to think that the last photo is now from 37 years ago!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Is this a variation on Terence Cuneo's mouse, perchance?

To a lot of people in the north west Notts/south east Derbyshire area a moggy is indeed a mouse. Really confused us at first when we moved into our present house. The next door neighbour with a fairly broad Alfteton/Ripley area dialect talked about cats catching moggies?

Edit to correct auto correct from my phone, grrr

Edited by great central
  • Like 1

To a lot of people in the north west Notts/south east Derbyshire area a moggy is indeed a mouse. Really confused us at first when we moved into our present house. The next door neighbour with a fairly broad Alfteton/Ripley area dialect talked about cats catching moggies?

Edit to correct auto correct from my phone, grrr

O/T There are some strange uses of words in that area. My mother (from West Lincs) always used to say she was 'starving' when she was cold.

All but the last dmu are Class 119.  The last one is a 108 which would have worked into Oxford from the Cambridge direction.  At one time there were fill-in turns which took them to Reading but I question whether they worked into Paddington at this time.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

All but the last dmu are Class 119.  The last one is a 108 which would have worked into Oxford from the Cambridge direction.  At one time there were fill-in turns which took them to Reading but I question whether they worked into Paddington at this time.

Chris

Chris,

Many thanks for the information.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the BR WR photo's. It's great seeing the class 119 and 108 DMU'S. I particularly like the one of the class 119 in green livery at Taunton Silk Mill, in August, 1966, in J575.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Great picture though it is, but I don't think the last one is Thame. The position of the bridge in relation to the platforms is wrong, the platforms weren't wooden and it had a train shed.

post-29514-0-64908800-1491689340_thumb.jpg

View in the same direction, but taken form under the Thame - Tetsworth road bridge in the late 70s having legged it down there from school before first classes.....

Dave

• Like 3

A Western Region theme for today.

The dmus may or may not be identified correctly.

attachicon.gifStandish Junction Class 47 1679 Plymouth to Leeds perhaps April 73 J J3185.jpg

Standish Junction Class 47 1679 Plymouth to Leeds perhaps April 73 J J3185

The next two are of the same train as seen by Dad and myself

attachicon.gifStandish Junction Gloucester dmu Gloucester to Stroud perhaps April 73 J3186.jpg

Standish Junction Gloucester Class 119 dmu Gloucester to Stroud?  April 73 J3186

attachicon.gifStandish Junction Gloucester to Stroud April 73 C1244.jpg

Standish Junction Class 119 Gloucester to Stroud? April 73 C1244

attachicon.gifThame Class 108 dmu Oxford to Paddington Aug 64 J161.jpg

Thame Class 108 dmu Oxford to ? Aug 64 J161

David

I think the Standish Junction photos were taken about halfway between there and Stonehouse stations (closed and open), slightly nearer the latter. Both trains heading north so DMU Swindon to Gloucester (at least).

Princes Risborough to Oxford service withdrawn in 1963. Station might be Islip and train from Oxford.

Edited by Western Glory