Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

1E17 was the 10:35 Aberdeen-KX - The Aberdonian. It would normally have Deltic haulage. The formation suggests the SX train.

Agreed. However, unlike 1E01, 1E05 and 1E11 (which were *very* exceptional if they didn't produce a Deltic), it wasn't altogether uncommon for 1E07 or 1E17 to turn up Brush-worked on any day of the week.

1E11, incidentally, was often used to 'run in' an ex-works Deltic between Doncaster and Peterborough. From time to time it would arrive with a pair on the front, the piloting loco being detached at Peterborough.

• RMweb Premium

Culgaith Station building looks a lot nicer these days, the owners have made a nice house out of it.

The dairy building opposite is now a garden centre with reasonable cafe.

There is some railway memorabilia inside.

I used that crossing a lot when I lived in Melmerby! (it's the next village)

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Settle and Carlisle photo's. Always a good subject. That first photo' has reminded me that when faced with such a combination of units, it was always a case of travelling in the 156, never the 142. C1373 is a great reminder of the classic diesel hauled freight trains - the 25 looks good on that train of BR 16 ton mineral wagons.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The Tilbury line at Dunton, just east of Laindon for today.

It's almost all about tracklaying.....

attachicon.gifDunton 37262 tracklaying April 78 C3798.jpg

Dunton 37262 tracklaying April 78 C3798

attachicon.gifDunton Class 31 pw train April 78 C3799.jpg

Dunton Class 31 pw train April 78 C3799

attachicon.gifDunton Class 37 April 78 C3800.jpg

Dunton Class 37 April 78 C3800

attachicon.gifDunton 37262 April 78 C3802.jpg

Dunton 37262 April 78 C3802

attachicon.gifDunton 302306 down June 78 C3913.jpg

Dunton 302306 down June 78 C3913

David

Once again nice photo montage David, especially of the track renewal being done, the old fashioned with track sections lifted out and the new going in its place. Thank you for sharing them with us. I once had a job moving a supposedly self propelled crane, (that had broken down), renewing track sections in Hereford station, with a class 08. Very boring shuttling up and down the same bit of track umpteen times, and at dead slow speed. \The only consolation was that as I was working in Hereford station the depot messroom and kettle was within easy reach for cups of tea..

As an aside I would like to proffer an identity for the "Toffee Apple"  31/0 in photo C3799; Dunton Class 31 pw train April 78  as being 31005. As far as I know only two 31/0's were painted up like that, 31005 & 31019, for the RPPR Toffee Apple Farewell tour in October 1977. The position of the OHL flash on the bodyside by the engine room door suggests that it is 31005, as the one on 31019 was lower down on the bodyside.

Paul J.

Edited to correct a reference to Class 30/0 instead of 31/0.

Edited by Swindon 123

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos of Dunton and track relaying. That 31 in C3799 makes a splendid sight and it appears we now have its indentity too as 31005.

In the last photo, there are several door droplights with white markings on them - labels?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Once again nice photo montage David, especially of the track renewal being done, the old fashioned with track sections lifted out and the new going in its place. Thank you for sharing them with us. I once had a job moving a supposedly self propelled crane, (that had broken down), renewing track sections in Hereford station, with a class 08. Very boring shuttling up and down the same bit of track umpteen times, and at dead slow speed. \The only consolation was that as I was working in Hereford station the depot messroom and kettle was within easy reach for cups of tea..

As an aside I would like to proffer an identity for the "Toffee Apple"  31/0 in photo C3799; Dunton Class 31 pw train April 78  as being 31005. As far as I know only two 31/0's were painted up like that, 31005 & 31019, for the RPPR Toffee Apple Farewell tour in October 1977. The position of the OHL flash on the bodyside by the engine room door suggests that it is 31005, as the one on 31019 was lower down on the bodyside.

Paul J.

Paul,

Thanks very much for the comment.

31005 would make sense, I know I saw it at other times on the Tilbury line during engineering work and on the GER.  I've added it to the caption.

I think I still have a few more photos of engineering work in the area to post in due course.

David

• RMweb Gold

The Tilbury line at Dunton, just east of Laindon for today.

It's almost all about tracklaying.....

attachicon.gifDunton 37262 tracklaying April 78 C3798.jpg

Dunton 37262 tracklaying April 78 C3798

attachicon.gifDunton Class 31 pw train April 78 C3799.jpg

Dunton Class 31 pw train April 78 C3799   It is  31005. Many thanks to Swindon123 (Paul J) for working out the loco number.

attachicon.gifDunton Class 37 April 78 C3800.jpg

Dunton Class 37 April 78 C3800

attachicon.gifDunton 37262 April 78 C3802.jpg

Dunton 37262 April 78 C3802

attachicon.gifDunton 302306 down June 78 C3913.jpg

Dunton 302306 down June 78 C3913

David

The first few shots that show the Twin Jib Crane (TJC or tracklayer) with 60 foot panels. The last photo shows the TJC picking up 60 foot rails with only the two sleepers at the ends, therefore leaving the rest of the sleepers in the ground, so the last bit looks like rail replacement rather than track renewal.

• RMweb Gold

The first few shots that show the Twin Jib Crane (TJC or tracklayer) with 60 foot panels. The last photo shows the TJC picking up 60 foot rails with only the two sleepers at the ends, therefore leaving the rest of the sleepers in the ground, so the last bit looks like rail replacement rather than track renewal.

Thanks for the information.  I've always wondered why they just removed the rails which I think were an expansion joint (according to my notes) in my last photo, as they were all taken on the same day.  I think you can just about make out the joint in the photo.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Paul J.

Some of the older TJCs didn't have travel gear fitted because the technology didn't really exist to get the drive onto bogies with sufficient power to move (and stop) a heavy load. It looks to me as though this was an early attempt to get a TJC self-propelled because the hand wheels on the bogies are likely to be used to engage gears (they have to be disengaged when being towed in train). The hand wheels on the carriage are more likely to be handbrake wheels to try to stop the thing running away if parked on a gradient.

Thanks for the information.  I've always wondered why they just removed the rails which I think were an expansion joint (according to my notes) in my last photo, as they were all taken on the same day.  I think you can just about make out the joint in the photo.

David

If you look carefully at that photo you can see the two sleepers with the expansion joint fittings also being lifted a a complete section, minus most of the sleepers. The nearer end of the rain has been cut with a gas torch, unable to see the condition of the other end. They might be lifting it to use again, at the same spot, or somewhere else. I have seen it done in the past.

Paul J.

Amazing how the scene around Boreham has changed so much, and how it used to have the 100mph sign visible from the a12 on the north bound track....and is potentially the site of a new station.....but my town planning wife says maybe not in my lifetime the way things are going at present!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

As a resident of Chelmsford I would say your photos around Generals Lane bridge were more New Hall than Boreham. The loop line in C1663 was known as New Hall sidings even in GER days.

Amazing how the scene around Boreham has changed so much, and how it used to have the 100mph sign visible from the a12 on the north bound track....and is potentially the site of a new station.....but my town planning wife says maybe not in my lifetime the way things are going at present!!

As for the new station, I was first told about it in 1979 when I started working at Marconi's. In those days it was going to be called Springfield but since the building of hosing on the site of the former royal home of Beaulieu Park it will now be called "Beaulieu Park".  The class 360 EMUs have this as one of their destination, don't 'alf cause a problem when the rivers display it. I echo 47164 in saying it won't be built in my life time.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of Carlisle. The first photo is a great one of 47589, looking suitably weathered.

And in C9420, 85020 has got the metal BR arrows - I can't remember if it kept them until the end of its career.

With warmest regards,

Rob.