Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Unusual to see a Class 114 (Derby Heavyweight) unit on a Leeds service at Masboro' most were loco hauled as part of the NE/SW corridor services.

Going by the date, it's not beyond possibility that I could be one of the gaggle of spotters on/around the barrow on P4 in the background.

Until recently I didn't realise that DMU power cars and trailers had different TOPS identities (114 & 148) in this case.

Thanks for this pic David - reminds mi o' mi yoof :)

Back in the day there were 2 ways of getting a local Sheffield to Leeds service, either via Barnsley/Wakefield Kirkgate/Normanton or Rotherham/Cudworth, although I don't know if the Cudworth bit was still used in 1977, but there were a few Rotherham/Wakefield Westgate services, but both extensively used Derby E500xx/E560xx units.

Mike.

Back in the day there were 2 ways of getting a local Sheffield to Leeds service, either via Barnsley/Wakefield Kirkgate/Normanton or Rotherham/Cudworth, although I don't know if the Cudworth bit was still used in 1977, but there were a few Rotherham/Wakefield Westgate services, but both extensively used Derby E500xx/E560xx units.

Mike.

Before my time I'm afraid :)

I could only associate those DMUs with Sheffield - Lincoln - Cleethorpes and Sheffield - Doncaster - Cleethorpes during my spotting days.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I  am glad you made sure about that folder before deleting it! Excellent photo's of the 25 and the 114 - which were also used on the Hull and Scarborough line later in the '70's. I have photo's of them at Beverley in my East Yorkshire Railways thread.

I like the GCR photo's. Duke of Gloucester has come a long way since the time of that photo'.

The GCR in BR days makes a fine sight, and the first photo' has to be a classic - a steam hauled freight passing a rake of non-corridor carriages. The engine is spewing smoke from it's chimney with great vigor as it must be accelerating from a signal check.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

"Rushcliffe Halt Class 45 Jan 71".

That is such a wonderfull shot. Thank you so much for taking the trouble originaly to get it. So tempting to have stayed in bed!

It is certainly atmospheric; I can almost see my breath condensing!

• RMweb Gold

The dmu at Ardrossan is not a 101.  I suspect that it is a 107.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for pointing that out.  Yet again it is my fault - it's hot so I had taken my reading glasses off when I was doing the captions.

David

I rather like the way the track disappears into the painted backscene in the Ardrossan shot J3843...!

The Scottish Region images certainly have an aura to them quite unlike anywhere else in the UK. For the first time in absolutely ages I'm actually starting to think about modelling again. Keep them coming Dave!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Tanfield Railway photos. I see you had a ride on the train hauled by Linda.

I like the Scottish photos. They are full of atmosphere, and there's certainly plenty of classic cars to be seen in the first one. I like the way the Derby class 107 forms part of the background in the last photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Today's preserved railway pictures are from the Great Central Railway.

Loughborough Central 71000 Duke of Gloucester March 75 J4163.jpg

Loughborough Central 71000 Duke of Gloucester March 75 J4163

Loughborough Central Hunslet Robert Nelson No 4 ecs March 75 J4167.jpg

Loughborough Central Hunslet Robert Nelson No 4 ecs March 75 J4167

Loughborough Central Littleton No 5 Dec 75 C2556.jpg

Loughborough Central Littleton No 5 Dec 75 C2556

Loughborough Central King Haakon VII Aug 77 C3409.jpg

Loughborough Central King Haakon VII Aug 77 C3409

Loughborough Central Hunslet Robert Nelson No 4 and GCR 506 April 79 C4433.jpg

Loughborough Central Hunslet Robert Nelson No 4 and GCR 506 April 79 C4433

David

Don't know if it's due to viewing the pictures of my phone but Duke of Gloucester looks like it's got a radiator in place of the boiler? :-)

]The GCR in BR days makes a fine sight, and the first photo' has to be a classic - a steam hauled freight passing a rake of non-corridor carriages. The engine is spewing smoke from it's chimney with great vigor as it must be accelerating from a signal check.[/size][/font]

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Pretty much standard operating on the GC many of the freights ran at speeds into the 50s, almost by the time the 9Fs came along traffic was a bit sparse due to the attentions of the midland region, certainly south of Nottingham there wouldn't be that much to cause a signal check. The various Colin Walker books are full of such instances

Swithland sidings 9F up freight Jan 64 J091

Lovely photo, the only common wagon is the Medfit at the beginning of the train, then a Pipe,  SR 8 plank, which were either mineral or merchandise - converted to vacuum brake, non ventilated insulated meat van and a c1950 2 door mineral - I think the rarer rivetted ones.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

J3924 (post 10406).   Fantastic period shot, but it is actually Market Street (Aberdeen Harbour) rather than Waterloo Goods.   

Bill

Thanks Bill,  

I've changed the caption.

It's one of Dad's which for some reason he hadn't fully captioned so I guessed - I've never been to Aberdeen.

David

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful shot.   Is the Peak shunting?   It has a couple of what look like unfitted 16-tonners behind it and is that a brake van lurking in the distance?

Bill

It is indeed shunting, in this case the "plasterboard" sidings (British Gypsum).

David