Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I love these photos today for so many reasons.

Not least of which is that I arrived at Piccadilly, this morning, at the very platform pictured in C468 - Platform 2 & 3.

(I didn't see any trolleys though!)

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

That photo of Manchester, with the barrows in focus, and the trains relegated to the background. Just excellent. And not one most people would have thought of doing at the time.

They are a nice trio of MR/LMS type 200 trolleys. (info from LMS Lineside, Part Two, by Anderson and Twells).

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Tanfield Railway photo's. A line that is well worth a visit.

Ardwick and Manchester Piccadilly look so ethereal in the gloomy conditions.

In C0791, the unit is a Gloucester class 100. And then in C425, the unit is a Cravens class 105. The sloping drivers desk, the windscreen, and the large side windows to the passenger saloon, that can be seen in the reflections, are all clues as to the class of unit.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The third batch from the Tanfield Railway.

attachicon.gifBSC_3857 Marley Hill Bagnall Gamma.jpg

BSC_3857 Marley Hill Bagnall Gamma

attachicon.gifBSC_3860 Marley Hill.jpg

BSC_3860 Marley Hill  Inside the engine shed

attachicon.gifBSC_3862 Marley Hill.jpg

BSC_3862 Marley Hill   A view of some of the sidings

attachicon.gifBSC_3867 Andrews House HL 21 Linda.jpg

BSC_3867 Andrews House HL 21 Linda

attachicon.gifBSC_3868 Marley Hill.jpg

BSC_3868 Marley Hill

attachicon.gifBSC_3870 Andrews House HL 21 Linda.jpg

BSC_3870 Andrews House HL 21 Linda

David

Blimey, wagons, thanks Dave!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Tanfield Railway photos. And then at Swayfield there is a glorious succession of those icons of the 60's and 70's, the Deltics. They all make a mouthwatering sight, and thank you for posting those evocative and nostalgic photos. We cannot see as many Deltics as that on the ECML anymore. I won't attempt to try to identify any, but there are plenty of us who will;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1L33 was the 16:05SO KX-Harrogate The Yorkshire Pullman (only 2 Pullman Cars on a Saturday)

1L34 was the 18:04 KX-Bradford with a 3 coach Halifax portion on the rear

1A32 was the 17:00 Newcastle-KX.

1A16 was the 10:15SuO Bradford-KX. (Mon to Sat that head code was used by the up Yorkshire Pullman)

C3874 from the formation was the 10:55 KX-Edinburgh

• RMweb Gold

The BR photos for today are another batch taken on a dull winter afternoon at Ardwick, together with a couple at Manchhester Piccadilly which are a bit different.

attachicon.gifArdwick Class 310 065 Birmingham to Manchester Piccadilly Jan 72 C0782.jpg

Ardwick Class 310 065 Birmingham to Manchester Piccadilly Jan 72 C0782

attachicon.gifArdwick Class 506 M59601 Manchester Piccadilly to Hadfield Jan 72 C0785.jpg

Ardwick Class 506 M59601 Manchester Piccadilly to Hadfield Jan 72 C0785

attachicon.gifArdwick Class 08 trip working Jan 72 C0790.jpg

Ardwick Class 08 trip working Jan 72 C0790

attachicon.gifArdwick dmu to Manchester Piccadilly Jan 72 C0791.jpg

Ardwick dmu to Manchester Piccadilly Jan 72 C0791  Class 100

attachicon.gifManchester Piccadily from train Dec 70 C425.jpg

Manchester Piccadily from train Dec 70 C425  Class 105

attachicon.gifManchester Piccadilly Feb 71 C468.jpg

Manchester Piccadilly Feb 71 C468  If only this had been a bit sharper.

Many thanks to Rob - Market65 for identifying the dmus.

David

That last photo C468 absolutely should not have been sharper. totally evocative of the place, time and weather.

• RMweb Gold

That last photo C468 absolutely should not have been sharper. totally evocative of the place, time and weather.

I agree with you. Same place this morning but, somehow, missing something - and I don't mean the trolleys!

post-12815-0-45774100-1498078484_thumb.jpg

Kev.

• Like 6

"Who's he think he is, David Bailey?" :mosking:

To quote a TV ad, for what I can't remember :senile:

As you say a crackin' composition.

Edited by leopardml2341

C1640 I would also agree is 55 018. However, that loco was recorded as working 1E13 11:40 Edinburgh - King's Cross on 30th June 1974, which might have given it a tightish turnaround for 1L34 (I don't have a WTT for that, to check, but I suspect that it's feasible).

J4029 is definitely not 55 022. It looks very much like 55 004. If so, that would have to have been taken between 1st and 9th Sept 1974, as she was taken into works on 10th and remained there for the rest of the month and the first 12 days of October.

I was going to suggest that C3874 is 55 012. Having checked, that was recorded as working 1S21 10:55 King's Cross - Edinburgh on 30th May 1978, which matches Mark's always reliable notes about the train formation in #10433.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Olympus Trip - an early 35mm compact automatic camera...

ISTR said by the late great George Cole ???

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

C1640 I would also agree is 55 018. However, that loco was recorded as working 1E13 11:40 Edinburgh - King's Cross on 30th June 1974, which might have given it a tightish turnaround for 1L34 (I don't have a WTT for that, to check, but I suspect that it's feasible).

J4029 is definitely not 55 022. It looks very much like 55 004. If so, that would have to have been taken between 1st and 9th Sept 1974, as she was taken into works on 10th and remained there for the rest of the month and the first 12 days of October.

I was going to suggest that C3874 is 55 012. Having checked, that was recorded as working 1S21 10:55 King's Cross - Edinburgh on 30th May 1978, which matches Mark's always reliable notes about the train formation in #10433.

I agree with these three. J3760 is more difficult. The nameplate looks a bit longer than the distance between the small pair of vents above it, which would imply a HA regiment rather than a FP racehorse. 55013 The Black Watch is the shortest nameplate of those, I think, and it had long since lost its crest. The caption is still wrong btw, if mark54's train ID is correct.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

I agree with these three. J3760 is more difficult. The nameplate looks a bit longer than the distance between the small pair of vents above it, which would imply a HA regiment rather than a FP racehorse. 55013 The Black Watch is the shortest nameplate of those, I think, and it had long since lost its crest. The caption is still wrong btw, if mark54's train ID is correct.

Thanks very much, hopefully the captions are now amended.

David

London Transport (as it was then known) trains at Barking today.

I thought it would make a change from blue or green locos.

Yes - but it makes it a beggar to try and identify the stock! :biggrin_mini2: