Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle photos. In particular, J3712. There is a good selection of parcels vehicles to be seen, including a Hawksworth BG, a BR Mk1 BG, several SR PMV's, and an LMS BG.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Re that bridge, I bow to superior knowledge but my first thought was gas or sewage pipes.

Lovely Newcastle photos. The 47s always looked best in that livery and the HST is soooo smart. And that parcels stock snaking across the junctions!!!

Hopton incline. There have been a couple of models of the line, at least one with a working incline.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to make sense of this bridge but I can't. The bottom span is really odd.

Looks like reinforcing to stop movement in the abutments.

Re that bridge, I bow to superior knowledge but my first thought was gas or sewage pipes.

Lovely Newcastle photos. The 47s always looked best in that livery and the HST is soooo smart. And that parcels stock snaking across the junctions!!!

Hopton incline. There have been a couple of models of the line, at least one with a working incline.

Jonathan

Ilkeston, like all the surrounding area, had a number of coal mines and suffered subsidence in several locations.

So as LNERGE has suggested the beams were probably there to stop movement in the abutments.

Edit - I ought to have explained that in the original caption.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

J3712

Note the wide to gauge catch point on the leftmost track approaching the diamonds but on the adjacent track it is a normal "derail off to the left" type.

Sadly a lot of that track is no more with the East end bays mostly out of use and just three tracks approaching from Manors and two from the High Level.

Another fine set of pictures.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Snowdon Mountain Railway photos. A great set showing the rack and pinion line.

And the set of photos from Pilmoor as as fascinating as ever. The track recording car in the first photo was, I think I'm right in saying, first tried out over the Market Weighton and Beverley line after it had closed down. Many such vehicles were tried out over it after closure until the track was lifted in 1970.

And in C5972, the Metro Cammell unit has a class 101 DMBS leading, but the TSL is a class 111 car. You tell that from the very small battery boxes, that are also quite 'smooth'. The rear DMCL is just out of view, and I don't suppose we'll ever find out which class of car it was.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi David. Been a while since Cramlington has been featured. Hint hint ;-)

Cramlington hasn't been forgotten.

As it happens I've just sorted out over 400 images of which over two thirds are north east and will shortly be starting on another batch of 400 or so, again mainly from the north east.

So Cramlington and other places in the area will appear again.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Western Region photos. In J2945, the unit, on referring to the set number is actually a class 117 with a class 101 Metro Cammell TCL inserted to strengthen it to four cars. The numbers of the class 117 cars, gleaned from High Longworths First Generation DMU book are:

DMS, W51409,

TCL, W59519,

DMBS, W51367.

The 101 TCL is not given.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the Western Region photos. In J2945, the unit, on referring to the set number is actually a class 117 with a class 101 Metro Cammell TCL inserted to strengthen it to four cars. The numbers of the class 117 cars, gleaned from High Longworths First Generation DMU book are:

DMS, W51409,

TCL, W59519,

DMBS, W51367.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The WR didn't have many MetCam DMUs, by 1979 the only TCLs were W59546-551 except 548 which was Scottish. They were classified class 171 and the Pressed Steel TCL was class 176 back then.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots today, Dave. The load on the bolsters towards the rear of the train in J3698 is impressively long. But I reckon that's a 40 at the front.

You could well be right,  I've corrected the caption.

David

• RMweb Premium

J3693 - this may be 4V73 Edinburgh-Cardiff freightliner. I don't think I have a 1974 WTT but in 1972/3 it left Edinburgh at 16.17 and in 1975/6 it left at 16.13 - timed at Berwick at around 17.25.

EDIT: i had to look Fenham up - found a similar view from Fisher's Back Road at the overbridge - https://goo.gl/maps/NZf2GsAAnFw - with Lindisfarne on the horizon (visible in J3694)

Edited by keefer

DMS, W51409,

TCL, W59519,

DMBS, W51367.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Three !01 trailers - 59528, 59538 and 59543 - were sent to Reading from the NER in about 1967 to replace the three Hawksworth coaches fitted to work with dmus in 1961.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland photos. I especially like J3694 of 40 187. It's a great side on shot of the 40 hauling that freight train. The two photos of Berwick on Tweed are fantastic, and it's always good to see the Royal Border Bridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.