Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the early days of the K&WVR. Such a wide variety of liveries when ex BR liveries were not allowed to be used.

The Scottish photos are delightful. Barassie station looks like it was a gem of a place which had seen little change over the years except a change of traction. The platform garden looks especially good.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Checking out the photo of the Class 120, a type I was very familiar with at Canton in the 70s, I had some trouble putting my finger on what was troubling me about it.

It has oval buffers, very unusual and I believe I am correct in saying that, of the 1st generation dmus, the only types to have oval buffers were the Swindon 4-car Inter-City class 123 and the Swindon Trans Pennine class 124, although I seem to remember some class 117 with 'oblong' buffers for a while.  I mean, this set has them, at least at this end, but this is not normal; I knew something wasn't right!

Perhaps these are replacements after a 'heavy shunt'.

Thanks again for this brilliant thread, Dave!

Checking out the photo of the Class 120, a type I was very familiar with at Canton in the 70s, I had some trouble putting my finger on what was troubling me about it.

It has oval buffers, very unusual and I believe I am correct in saying that, of the 1st generation dmus, the only types to have oval buffers were the Swindon 4-car Inter-City class 123 and the Swindon Trans Pennine class 124, although I seem to remember some class 117 with 'oblong' buffers for a while.  I mean, this set has them, at least at this end, but this is not normal; I knew something wasn't right!

Perhaps these are replacements after a 'heavy shunt'.

Thanks again for this brilliant thread, Dave!

Some of the Lincoln Derby heavyweights also had oval buffers. Didn't all the later Swindon Cross Country units have oval buffers?.

Edited by 45125

Some of the Lincoln Derby heavyweights also had oval buffers. Didn't all the later Swindon Cross Country units have oval buffers?.

More oval buffers here:

6770230869_d3a25f606d_z.jpgSC51793_Glasgow_1978 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

16048579644_2797bbb09a_z.jpgW51087_Derby_Bristol-York-relief_23-5-73 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr.

3201570277_dc5f98b9a1_z.jpg?zz=1120_HeddonMill by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

22247998885_6b0dd119b7_z.jpgW51573_NewtonAbbot_8-63 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Seems to be mainly the later 120s. And some other types:

2990287310_e0022cbbc7_z.jpg?zz=1117_Devizes_0658-Trowbridge-Reading(1)6-65 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

23154532266_e50be431c9_z.jpgW51188-59357-51141_DawlishWarren_1-9-74 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

3124771029_c8821c5cc0_z.jpg?zz=1115_EastLeake_1-66 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

This is a negative that came from David F himself: 

5964852911_22bec77b48_z.jpg114_nrBarkston by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham line photos around the Bottesford area. I like that view of LEV1 in the second photo in particular. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

More oval buffers here:

6770230869_d3a25f606d_z.jpgSC51793_Glasgow_1978 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

16048579644_2797bbb09a_z.jpgW51087_Derby_Bristol-York-relief_23-5-73 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr.

3201570277_dc5f98b9a1_z.jpg?zz=1120_HeddonMill by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

22247998885_6b0dd119b7_z.jpgW51573_NewtonAbbot_8-63 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Seems to be mainly the later 120s. And some other types:

2990287310_e0022cbbc7_z.jpg?zz=1117_Devizes_0658-Trowbridge-Reading(1)6-65 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

23154532266_e50be431c9_z.jpgW51188-59357-51141_DawlishWarren_1-9-74 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

3124771029_c8821c5cc0_z.jpg?zz=1115_EastLeake_1-66 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

This is a negative that came from David F himself: 

5964852911_22bec77b48_z.jpg114_nrBarkston by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

That's a pretty extensive collection of oval buffers, some of them on 57's stock.  Not as rare as I thought...

• Like 3

Yet again you've captured an unusual wagon type in camera - those behind the 47 are not the usual 27t tipplers .............. :locomotive:

They look to be unusually full for iron ore wagons as well?

• RMweb Premium

That's a pretty extensive collection of oval buffers, some of them on 57's stock.  Not as rare as I thought...

Hi Johnster

They are all long underframe classes.

I have seen photos of long underframe DMUs with oval buffer one side and a large round or a clipped buffer the other. It was also quite common for the buffers each end to be different on the same coach, let alone the whole unit.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Johnster

They are all long underframe classes.

I have seen photos of long underframe DMUs with oval buffer one side and a large round or a clipped buffer the other. It was also quite common for the buffers each end to be different on the same coach, let alone the whole unit.

I suspect the ones on the outer ends of sets had a hard life and tended to get replaced with whatever was to hand on occasion as well, which would account for your 'mixed buffer' photos.  Again, I stand corrected; I have always assumed Derby low density units with sliding ventilator windows to be 57 footers, but class 114 was not.

They look to be unusually full for iron ore wagons as well?

I think they're Stewart and Lloyd's own tipplers, one version of which had more uprights on the sides, along with deflector plates on the ends; they were intended for loading at the quarry face. I did have a look for on-line images, but couldn't find any.

The high load wouldn't be unusual for ore from the quarry face; there'd be a lot of voids in the load, and the ore itself was much less dense than the loads of finely crushed imported haematite we've become used to.

I think they're Stewart and Lloyd's own tipplers, one version of which had more uprights on the sides, along with deflector plates on the ends; they were intended for loading at the quarry face. I did have a look for on-line images, but couldn't find any.

The high load wouldn't be unusual for ore from the quarry face; there'd be a lot of voids in the load, and the ore itself was much less dense than the loads of finely crushed imported haematite we've become used to.

There have been a couple or RMWeb topics about S&L wagons.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88942-stewarts-lloyds-30t-iu-20t-mainline-tippler/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108955-stewarts-lloyds-wagons-1923-1945/

This includes photos and the BR diagram - and BR didn't 'do' diagrams for wagons which didn't work on the mainline.

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cramlington photos. All so nostalgic, and what a magnificent sight the HST makes in C5631. I'm sure that the converted Gresley carriage in the last photo got around the NE quite a bit as part of that track laying train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

55007 is probably on 1N27 the down Newcastle Executive 1800 from King's Cross, assuming the photo was taken Monday to Thursday. The booked formation had the third FO between RB and RU but all three are south of the RU in this image.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I really love the Swayfield photos. They bring back so many memories for me, and thank you for posting them. The Deltics in J3674, and J3720 are clearly running at high speed, and they make a great sight. The last one of a class 254 HST in May, 1978, was a period of time when I was travelling on the ECML each week, and I may well have been on that HST. I well remember the smell coming from the brakes each time they were applied. But what tremendous trains they were.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

55007 is probably on 1N27 the down Newcastle Executive 1800 from King's Cross, assuming the photo was taken Monday to Thursday. The booked formation had the third FO between RB and RU but all three are south of the RU in this image.

Seems like pretty lavish catering provision.   Were any of the FOs (or TSOs?) set out with tables for serving meals?

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Since you've invited us to check...

J1772 - I'm not convinced it's D1514 because it was a Generator and I can't see an ETH box or cable on the buffer beam. Could it be D1914?

J3655 - the last digit looks more like a 6 than a 1, though the rest of the number is too blurred.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

1A03 was the summer dated 07:20SuO 07:20 Bradford-KX.

1S32 was the 12:00 KX-Aberdeen - The Aberdonian

Thanks again Mark.

Looking at the other photos taken around that time Dad could well have taken 1A03 on a Sunday.

David

Seems like pretty lavish catering provision.   Were any of the FOs (or TSOs?) set out with tables for serving meals?

Bill

Yes the 2 FOs adjacent to the RU had meal-at-seat service to passengers. As Robert mentioned, the third FO should have been between the RB & RU. It is noted in the CWN that low seat numbers (18 seats) should be marshalled adjacent to the RB and were for 1st class passengers and high seat numbers (10-21) were for the Restaurant Car Dept i.e. fluid dining. One possibility is that no FO was available at short notice but to keep 1st class numbers up, a FK was used. This would have been unsuitable to be marshalled between the RB & RU, so was inserted further back.

J1772 - I'm not convinced it's D1514 because it was a Generator and I can't see an ETH box or cable on the buffer beam. Could it be D1914?

I'm not sure about that, as D1914 was a Canton loco and, whilst WR locos did occasionally appear on the East Coast, it didn't happen very often.

Looking at the picture I think that it's very difficult to even be certain that it ends in 14. It might just be a faded area of the number that makes it appear so. Also, under the D prefix is a black oval, very common on Eastern Region locos where cast shedplates were no longer available. There were odd 40B ones but most commonly they were Tinsley (41A) painted shedplates.

I'm wondering if it might be D1994 - although the D1989-D1999 batch were Gateshead based (and ECML regulars) for a considerable length of time, D1994 was the odd one out, remaining at Tinsley.

To be honest, I think that this one is very difficult to call, as it isn't possible to enlarge it far without losing the resolution. I think that it will probably remain guesswork!