Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Since you've invited us to check...

J1772 - I'm not convinced it's D1514 because it was a Generator and I can't see an ETH box or cable on the buffer beam. Could it be D1914?

J3655 - the last digit looks more like a 6 than a 1, though the rest of the number is too blurred.

I'm not sure about that, as D1914 was a Canton loco and, whilst WR locos did occasionally appear on the East Coast, it didn't happen very often.

Looking at the picture I think that it's very difficult to even be certain that it ends in 14. It might just be a faded area of the number that makes it appear so. Also, under the D prefix is a black oval, very common on Eastern Region locos where cast shedplates were no longer available. There were odd 40B ones but most commonly they were Tinsley (41A) painted shedplates.

I'm wondering if it might be D1994 - although the D1989-D1999 batch were Gateshead based (and ECML regulars) for a considerable length of time, D1994 was the odd one out, remaining at Tinsley.

To be honest, I think that this one is very difficult to call, as it isn't possible to enlarge it far without losing the resolution. I think that it will probably remain guesswork!

I have to admit I can't read the number off the scan either - and I couldn't off the slide either.  

As it is one of Dad's photos I can only assume he made a note of it at the time. It is very easy to get it wrong as to both take a photo and get the number is very hard - as I know very well.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure about that, as D1914 was a Canton loco and, whilst WR locos did occasionally appear on the East Coast, it didn't happen very often.

Looking at the picture I think that it's very difficult to even be certain that it ends in 14. It might just be a faded area of the number that makes it appear so. Also, under the D prefix is a black oval, very common on Eastern Region locos where cast shedplates were no longer available. There were odd 40B ones but most commonly they were Tinsley (41A) painted shedplates.

I'm wondering if it might be D1994 - although the D1989-D1999 batch were Gateshead based (and ECML regulars) for a considerable length of time, D1994 was the odd one out, remaining at Tinsley.

To be honest, I think that this one is very difficult to call, as it isn't possible to enlarge it far without losing the resolution. I think that it will probably remain guesswork!

Could also be D1974 which was a Haymarket loco.

Nothing wrong with more pictures of Swayfield David!

The view north was enhanced by the left-hand curve of the line. Looking south one could see trains for miles climbing up to Stoke.

Not been back since they electrified the ECML, so don't know what it's like today.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photos. In C7055 I'm wondering if the tracks leading up to that bridge were in use as sidings. And in C6659, you took a really good side view of 26 023.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It could be one of the later batch as it appears to have a Clayton boiler, note the exhaust port. Cannot be a Generator as its TTG and air braked.......

• RMweb Gold

It has a Clayton boiler port, so one from these ranges

D1639-D1681    (46)    WR allocated, includes the named locos (1660-1677), 1636-1665 built with 3-part radiators, 1666-1681 Serck radiators

D1901-D1947    (47)    D1901-1938 WR allocated, D1939-1947 LMR South    

D1977-D1999    (23)    ER allocated, all Serck fitted from new

D1100

So looking like one from D1977-1999, and D1994 does look a good shout.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=1496020009000

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photos. In C7055 I'm wondering if the tracks leading up to that bridge were in use as sidings. And in C6659, you took a really good side view of 26 023.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Looking at Quail, they seem to have been disconnected at 'Bog Junction' at the southern end- there's no indication of any connections existing at the northern end. The line was closed after a Freightliner train divided, and was diverted on to the Avoiding Line, IIRC, finally coming to a halt when it demolished the bridge.

• RMweb Premium

Those modern pictures of Swayfield are nice, and show how little impact headspan OHL has on the view, although I would make the most of it, as I can see a rolling program of putting hideous girders on top of the stanctions (so they look like the GW ones) to improve reliability, which will destroy the views from bridges..

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Unlikely, that's the remains of the goods avoiding line before the short sighted decision to abandon them. The goods yards north of this point had already closed.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Sunderland photos. They convey how things were back in BR days. In particular C7033 of 47 218 is a great portrait of that 47.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Settle and Carlisle photos. Green Arrow makes quite a sight in the rain at Dent, and I imagine would have made quite a sound too on departing.

The photo, J3354, is a good classic view of the S&C with, in this case, 5820 working on a p w train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The photo below at Carnforth is just a test to try posting an early digital photo in terms of resizing them.

No, the photo is not here as the RMWeb uploader has decided not to work this evening.

Never mind, I'll try again another day.

David

C7035. Very model able train. 2 HEA, TTA, 2VEA and a VGA. And a BR blue duff on the front.

I suspect this is a Speedlink working from Tyneside Central Freight Depot reception sidings; there used to be a late-afternoon one from there, rather than from Tees Yard. It conveyed a mixture of stuff: loaded and empty wagons from TCFD itself, workings from Coxslodge (Rowntrees) and Black Callerton (ICI), Morpeth etc.

Not sure where the two HEA in this train have come from, but the TTA will be from Heaton or Gateshead, the two VEAs from Morpeth (traffic for Otterburn Training Area), and the VGA from TCFD (Guinness empties).

I suspect this is a Speedlink working from Tyneside Central Freight Depot reception sidings; there used to be a late-afternoon one from there, rather than from Tees Yard. It conveyed a mixture of stuff: loaded and empty wagons from TCFD itself, workings from Coxslodge (Rowntrees) and Black Callerton (ICI), Morpeth etc.

Not sure where the two HEA in this train have come from, but the TTA will be from Heaton or Gateshead, the two VEAs from Morpeth (traffic for Otterburn Training Area), and the VGA from TCFD (Guinness empties).

I had another look at this and the of the two HEA at the front the first is branded with a Saltire which was used on the dedicated Anglo Scottish pool of wagons allocated for Speedlink Coal!

The TTA is one of the blue resin tanks from Hexham!

Mark Saunders 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos of the Yorkshire Dales Railway at Embsay. In C1060, the Altrincham TCL makes a good sight, and I can't remember what has happened to it since you took that photo. I wonder if anyone knows?

I like the following set of photos. A good variety, and J123, at Sutton in Ashfield Junction is so nostalgic. The Stanier tank engine makes a splendid sight at the head of two Stanier carriages, and a Thompson CK.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos of the Yorkshire Dales Railway at Embsay. In C1060, the Altrincham TCL makes a good sight, and I can't remember what has happened to it since you took that photo. I wonder if anyone knows?

I like the following set of photos. A good variety, and J123, at Sutton in Ashfield Junction is so nostalgic. The Stanier tank engine makes a splendid sight at the head of two Stanier carriages, and a Thompson CK.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Its still with us, although in a somewhat half dressed condition:

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=609

Andy G