Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s. I particularly like C8717, at Dilston, with Pacer, 143023, on a Newcastle to Hexham service on the 1st, August, 1987.  I see on the cab end is the ‘TWPacer’ logo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from the southern end of Peascliffe tunnel, which are full of interest and yet more nostalgia. In that first one, with a class 47 on a Kings Cross to Edinburgh service in April, 1977, I’m sure the 47 is standing in for a Deltic, for wouldn’t that train be otherwise a typical Deltic plus eight formation?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

May not be. If I recall well, the 07.45 KX - Edin and 15.00 return were booked Class 47 until they were named The Silver Jubilee. They were shorted formations; the following 08.00 and 16.00 return were Deltic allocated with longer formations.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the K&WVR photo’s, which are now so nostalgic. I particularly like J4204, at Mytholmes Tunnel with 118, Brussels, on a Keighley to Oxenhope train, in March, 1975. The second carriage is the sole surviving Metro Cammell trailer buffet car. 

The Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s are so fascinating, and it doesn’t seem all that long since it was first opened to the public. Time flies! The photo’ C7044, at Shiremoor with T&W Metro, 4063, on its way to Heworth, on the 5th August, 1985, is a splendid composition, which emphasises the clean, and at the time, modern appeareance f those units.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

I found picture C8726 (Page 612) of Hexham goods yard (shed) interesting.

At first sight looks like a good portrait of the presumably disused goods shed but then I realised that there is a track next to the loading dock on the left of the picture, with what looks like a Grampus wagon parked near the buffer stop. Presumably that track, at least, was still connected even though the rails through the goods shed itself look like they are isolated.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, dvdlcs said:

I found picture C8726 (Page 612) of Hexham goods yard (shed) interesting.

At first sight looks like a good portrait of the presumably disused goods shed but then I realised that there is a track next to the loading dock on the left of the picture, with what looks like a Grampus wagon parked near the buffer stop. Presumably that track, at least, was still connected even though the rails through the goods shed itself look like they are isolated.

The view is taken looking east, so we are looking at the buffer stop ends of the sidings.

At the time the track into the shed had been removed but the Grampus siding was (I think) still connected..  Parts of the gods yard were still used from time to time.

David

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

The view is taken looking east, so we are looking at the buffer stop ends of the sidings.

At the time the track into the shed had been removed but the Grampus siding was (I think) still connected..  Parts of the gods yard were still used from time to time.

David

The Goods yard at Hexham remained in regular use till the end of Speedlink for traffic for Eggers the local chipboard factory. It brought in resin in tanks from Ciba Giegy at Duxford and occasional Ferryvans of chipboard! There was some timber loaded here but I cant recall when it started or ended, some during the 1980's and I believe some by EWS?

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s. All so nostalgic. In  C7984, with class 108 DMU, 54247 and 53964 on an ECS movement, on the 26th August, 1986, you can see clearly the treatment given to the cab windows. I never did find out why they were so treated, I wonder if anyone knows?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah! Carlisle.

Many memories from my days living in Keswick.

Even had some stuff from the County (Now Carlisle) Bedding Centre. (C8278)

Probably renamed as the County Hotel is not much more than masonry held up by scaffolding these days, unless something has happened since last autumn!

Nice photos as ever, thanks Dave.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

C7964 with the 08 is an absolute gem Dave :drinks:

Now if that turned up for the Newcastle run (08 + Mk1s) everyone would cheer as they wouldn't be getting a Leyland Pacer!:jester:

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, DaveF said:

Since the railway opened the amount of sand in this part of estuary has increased, so there is less water up to the sea wall.  

The main channel of the river Kent changes course from time to time, usually after a big storm I understand. If you look at OS maps going back over the years, they show the main channel in different places, closer to or further from either side. Also, once an area has been colonised by grasses, it becomes harder for the tides to wash out the sand. A fascinating and dangerous estuary.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Grange over Sands is still well looked after. there is a nice walkway on the seaward side of the line alongside the railway for some distance, with well cared for gardens- sponsored by local businesses and individuals. Unfortunately the Lido further west is in a sad state though there is a project to do something with it.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grange over Sands and Kent’s Bank photo’s, which are so full of interest. The first one, at Grange over Sands, taken on the 8th August, 1987, shows how delightful the platform seats were and I hope they have not been replaced with those modern day monstrosities!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the memories, some friends and I went to Cark (very close to Grange over Sands) in the 70's, to a parachute centre, although we did not jump from the plane, (due to bad weather), we did visit Grange over Sands, which if memory serves, was a lovely place to visit.

• Thanks 1

On 11/03/2019 at 15:30, Mark Saunders said:

The Goods yard at Hexham remained in regular use till the end of Speedlink for traffic for Eggers the local chipboard factory. It brought in resin in tanks from Ciba Giegy at Duxford and occasional Ferryvans of chipboard! There was some timber loaded here but I cant recall when it started or ended, some during the 1980's and I believe some by EWS?

Mark Saunders

We visited the yard on a regular basis from 1983 until 1991, as we used to buy hen food from the farmers' merchants (West Cumberland Farmers?). They owned, or at least rented, the goods shed, which they used as a store. On one occasion, we turned up to find a rake of vac-fitted vans parked against the unloading platform. They were carrying beet-pulp for animal feed; this would have been towards the end of such traffic.

Around late 1987, there was timber traffic both in and out; Egger acquired a lot of fallen timber from Southern England after the Great Storm, whilst there was outbound traffic from Kielder Forest, which I think went to Kronaspan.

Apart from the main yard, there were two other sets of sidings. One, at the other end of the station platform, served the coal drops, whilst another set, between station and river, dealt with ballast brought in by road.

A decade earlier, and the yard would have been even busier, as WCF brought in oil by rail, and Blue Circle had a cement terminal.

• Thanks 1