Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly about Windows 10. Microsoft announced last month that they were going to start imposing, by way of a forced upgrade, version 1903. There is no known way around it, so I’m relieved that your PC is usable once more. 

The photo’s of the line from Newcastle to South Shields are fascinating and nostalgic. In C7325, at Pelaw with Metro 4080, on a service from St James to Pelaw, on the 19th February, 1986, I just hope the heating was working in all that cold and snowy weather. I’m sure it was.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Great photo of Tyneside Central freight depot Class 08 shunting Aug 85 J8362.jpg which shows the remains of an old siding which has been taken out with the check rail and the long bearers left in place

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland photo’s which are fabulous and show various aspects of the railway from the 1980’s. I particularly like C9285 at Longhirst, with a class 37, 37517 on an up coal train, from Butterwell, on the 28th November, 1987. It is a great side shot of the 37, and the engine is powering along nicely judging from the plume of exhaust.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi David

A day late, but in C6678, are the NBC sidings the Hilda sidings of the Harton Electric Railway?

Yes they are - but I've had to look it up just to check.

For some reason my notes from the day were not very helpful.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

J8301 love this pic for the postal vehicle, the angle of the pic shows how far inset the sliding doors were (not ususally so noticeable.

Also for the state of the GUVs - filthy!

• Thanks 1

On 14/06/2019 at 17:53, keefer said:

J8301 love this pic for the postal vehicle, the angle of the pic shows how far inset the sliding doors were (not ususally so noticeable.

Also for the state of the GUVs - filthy as usual!

There - corrected it for you :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle photo’s which bring back many happy memories. In the last one, C9386, on the 5th April, 1988, that’s a most atmospheric photo’ of 31115 on a light engine movement. The angle of the sun helps to bring out some detail too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2019 at 16:45, DaveF said:

Tracklaying at Bottesford for this afternoon.  There will be more of these photos from time to time.

1058521601_BottesfordcraneslayingtackNov83J8091.jpg.013f016347b3f36d3299eb05071c40f7.jpg

Bottesford cranes laying tack Nov 83 J8091

2109045115_BottesfordcraneslayingtackNov83J8098.jpg.73382d1964fcb593922419e45ef266f6.jpg

Bottesford cranes laying tack Nov 83 J8098

420088563_Bottesford31191Nov83J8103.jpg.9f63a7029e50a758cfd9677d9ed7fb97.jpg

Bottesford 31191 Nov 83 J8103

477854564_BottesfordClass37and31191Nov83J8112.jpg.7cf9ac3296faa097d989854c63fce87e.jpg

Bottesford Class 37 and 31191 Nov 83 J8112

1444482949_BottesfordcraneslayingtrackNov83J8113.jpg.486586eb8f365e77b444e0fea6bb3a25.jpg

Bottesford cranes laying track Nov 83 J8113

David

The cranes are Taylor Hubbard 10.16t diesel mechanical that BR refurbished including fitting electronic safe load indicators to them. I can't quite make out the numbers, but would guess that they came from Doncaster Woodyard.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the K.& W.V. R. photo’s which are all very interesting. I wonder exactly why BR did not approve of preserved locomotives being painted in BR liveries. There must be such a good reason locked away in the history books somewhere. The last photo’, C6237, at Damems, with WM railbus, in August, 1983, is a real delight, and of course, so modellable.

The Cumbrian Coast photo’s are a real delight, and such a variety of trains have run over the line. The photo’s capture the moods of the coast line so perfectly. In C8897, at Wraysholme Crossing, with an unidentifiable class 142, on an up ECS working, on the 9th August, 1987,  would be a long and bumpy journey when the Pacer was placed into service. Thankfully those units are approaching their destination station very quickly now....

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the K.& W.V. R. photo’s which are all very interesting. I wonder exactly why BR did not approve of preserved locomotives being painted in BR liveries. There must be such a good reason locked away in the history books somewhere. The last photo’, C6237, at Damems, with WM railbus, in August, 1983, is a real delight, and of course, so modellable.

The Cumbrian Coast photo’s are a real delight, and such a variety of trains have run over the line. The photo’s capture the moods of the coast line so perfectly. In C8897, at Wraysholme Crossing, with an unidentifiable class 142, on an up ECS working, on the 9th August, 1987,  would be a long and bumpy journey when the Pacer was placed into service. Thankfully those units are approaching their destination station very quickly now....

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It is possible that in the period immediately following the final withdrawal of standard gauge steam in 1968 BR were concerned that steam loco running around in BR liveries might be mistaken for locos that they owned and were responsible for.  They were very concerned in those days to promote the corporate image and rid themselves of the perception that they were failing to modernise.  A few years later, the blue/grey livery and arrows of indecision had become very firmly embedded in the public consciousness, and steam had become part of the nation's noble engineering heritage, so the unfortunate connotations of steam being old fashioned, slow, dirty, expensive, polluting and symptomatic of an inefficient railway had gone, and those concerned with promoting BR's image were more tolerant of steam locos in BR livery.

I'm not saying that I'd agree with any of this, but you can see why they might have thought in this way.  Many of the earlier preserved locos could appropriately carry pre-BR liveries anyway.  The early SVR never had any trouble with 43106, though, David Shepherd was able to keep Black Prince and Green Knight in their BR liveries, and AFAIK it was only the KWV and Lakeside and Haverthwaite that painted locos in these 'non BR' liveries.  Perhaps it was a Northern thing; steam had lasted longer up there.  Locos were painted for film work as well, which does not happen so much these days as suitable locos for a greater variety of periods or imagined locations are available.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s which are full of interest and gloom from the wet weather conditions. Now, in C9214, with class 108, in green, numbers 54247 and 53964, on an ECS working on the 27th October, 1987, the cream on yellow speed whisker does look a bit odd. I believe this has been commented on before, along with the black whisker on the green Cravens unit too. I guess at least an attempt was made to replicate the original green livery, which was better than no attempt at all.

I agree that the cab end of the 86 in the first photo’ looks quite unique with that splattered weathering....

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sir douglas said:

i always thought it was just a copyright reason, they dont belong to BR so they cant use the livery

Or maybe so close to the end of steam they thought people may confuse the preserved railways with BR who wanted to project a modern efficient railway.

• Thanks 1