Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2019 at 17:00, uax6 said:

And that XP64 coach is now semi-derelict on the Wensleyday railway. Theres another one there too, but there is only one other at the end of a siding on the Dean Forest also semi-derelict. These three are all second class vehicles, two TSO and one corridor. The 1st class vehicle has now been scrapped. According to the carriage trust survey, the Wensleydale pair are going to be restored, but I guess that's a long term goal.....

Andy G

On 30/06/2019 at 19:00, caradoc said:

One wonders whether the NRM should be taking an interest in the XP64 stock ?

Isn't the problem our old enemy Mr A S Bestos?

Mike.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Isn't the problem our old enemy Mr A S Bestos?

In which case they may find themselves resurfacing with our old friend, Mr Fray Bentos.   :o

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the Cumbrian Coast Line around Arnside and Askam. They are full of interest and nostalgia and in the first one at Askam, on the 6th August, 1987, you can see how delightful the signal box is along with the station buildings. Also there’s a couple of Pandrol rail clips in the four foot of the nearest track. C8746, at Askam, with a class 108 unit on a Millom to Lancaster service, on the same date, is a great view which has been very well composed, and on the adjoining track some wet spots are evident.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

J6823 the Atlantean/ Fleetline bus at the front appears to be an Alexander body. They always seemed a bit better built than the base Leyland/ Daimler bodies. Those top front screens were quite distinctive in those days.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daveyb said:

J6823 the Atlantean/ Fleetline bus at the front appears to be an Alexander body. They always seemed a bit better built than the base Leyland/ Daimler bodies. Those top front screens were quite distinctive in those days.

From what I can make out of the registration number it might be one of the GRC...N batch which had East Lancs bodies to NCT spec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

From what I can make out of the registration number it might be one of the GRC...N batch which had East Lancs bodies to NCT spec.

Could be... Looking again at that top screen it does appear to be more square than the Alexander glass.  When I was in junior school (in the days of milk and school buses) one of the contractors had a Fleetline retired from City of Nottingham.  It was a fairly unique front panel, but I don't remember the top screen. May be because I was much shorter! It was on an 'F' reg (1967) in 1976-9ish.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York photo’s. Such nostalgia and how the time has flown by! In the first photo’ you can see very clearly how much trackwork had survived from steam days, but it was soon to be greatly rationalised with ECML electrification. The HST is a reminder that they won’t be running on premier ECML services for much longer. Power cars 43043 and 43155 on a down express on the 28th July, 1986, make a good sight in the Intercity livery along with the Mklll’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s which illustrate what a great system it was back then. In C7292, at Backworth with Metro,  4067, on Saturday, the 4th January, 1986, the train makes a good sight in the cold weather with all that snow on the ground. It’s intriguing that on two units coupled together that both pans were always used whereas, on the class 800 IET’s it’s just one pan up.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s which illustrate what a great system it was back then. In C7292, at Backworth with Metro,  4067, on Saturday, the 4th January, 1986, the train makes a good sight in the cold weather with all that snow on the ground. It’s intriguing that on two units coupled together that both pans were always used whereas, on the class 800 IET’s it’s just one pan up.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Both pans need to be up with the Metro cars when working in multiple, as there's no traction-power supply connection between the two. I would imagine that it would be the same with 2 5-car IETs in multiple; however, a 9/10 car set would only need one pan up, as there is a traction power link within the set.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

On 01/07/2019 at 21:40, DaveF said:

I have been  busy today, so the photos are much later than usual.   This may happen for a few weeks from time to time, but when I can I'll post at around the usual time.

Today we visit Radcliffe on Trent, Rectory Junction and Sneinton Junction again, on the Grantham to Nottingham line.  I know most of you are well aware of where it is, but it is for the benfit of anyone new to the thread.

2008675802_RadcliffeonTrentClass105BostontoRadccliffeengineeringworkMarch80J6823.jpg.94e66feb2b9544f86acc16098607f72e.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent Class 105 Boston to Radcliffe engineering work March 80 J6823.jpg

190472103_RadcliffeonTrentClass114SkegnestoNottinghamSept80J7249.jpg.c481a427aab4919ac53b6aa9af75f465.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent Class 114 Skegness to Nottingham Sept 80 J7249.jpg

811734579_RectoryJunction47380oilApril80J6830.jpg.6379ec15348e2b46b68eb9faa2110e61.jpg

Rectory Junction 47380 oil April 80 J6830.jpg

890717358_RectoryJunctionRiverTrentviaductFeb77J5628.jpg.26b4b836554b1ea1d3f2862fbc42af7b.jpg

Rectory Junction River Trent viaduct Feb 77 J5628.jpg  A view from Radcliffe on Trent when the River was in flood.

1662263761_SneintonJunctionClass114GranthamtoNottinghamJuly70J2161.jpg.6b751b93a6b73137cbb7b5022b2eb7c8.jpg

Sneinton Junction Class 114 Grantham to Nottingham July 70 J2161.jpg

David

In the first picture we can see a couple of Nottingham City Transport Atlanteans with their typical "Nottingham look", a design just as classic as that of the trains!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/07/2019 at 23:40, daveyb said:

Could be... Looking again at that top screen it does appear to be more square than the Alexander glass.  When I was in junior school (in the days of milk and school buses) one of the contractors had a Fleetline retired from City of Nottingham.  It was a fairly unique front panel, but I don't remember the top screen. May be because I was much shorter! It was on an 'F' reg (1967) in 1976-9ish.

The design did evolve through the 60s and 70s, it was almost unique to Nottingham, I remember these buses from my childhood like it was only yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I took the perilous journey from KX to Newcastle with a mate circa 1980 to travel on the Metro soon after it opened. I survived a day on it. I came away with a souvenir mug saying "I'm a Metro mug". Then I had a promotion to an office where the mug disappeared - or did it get dropped? Life is tough. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Something a bit different today with a llok at Southend Pier with both the pier railway and PS Waverley.

1075416533_SouthendPierMay78J6028.jpg.f0171502c4d7fb265aa3d0fc32bf1f50.jpg

Southend Pier May 78 J6028

1959558886_SouthendPierMay78J6027.jpg.1fe527c3aefe1c700e54ed92ce394fc1.jpg

Southend Pier May 78 J6027

393996952_SouthendPierMay78J6029.jpg.607cdfb871be895bf145bf229d6c4969.jpg

Southend Pier May 78 J6029

42762789_SouthendPierRailwayPierHeadApril78J6014.jpg.530ab71a94c891233e22704189d09078.jpg

Southend Pier Railway Pier Head April 78 J6014.jpg

423855853_SouthendPierPSWaverleyMay78J6034.jpg.f5f38247a2097820d4011605331eb4bc.jpg

Southend Pier PS Waverley May 78 J6034.jpg

536754727_SouthendPierPSWaverleyMay78J6035.jpg.85023173fad460c3797610e21573f12f.jpg

Southend Pier PS Waverley May 78 J6035.jpg

David

Southend, where the sea and the sky meet,,,,but nobody knows where!

Mike.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I took the perilous journey from KX to Newcastle with a mate circa 1980 to travel on the Metro soon after it opened. I survived a day on it. I came away with a souvenir mug saying "I'm a Metro mug". Then I had a promotion to an office where the mug disappeared - or did it get dropped? Life is tough. 

I got a Railfreight 89 mug, I left it out in the TCS's office at Thornaby and returned for my next shift eight hours later it had vanished!

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Southend Pier photo’s which are all so interesting. I’m not too familiar with the trains, but it looks as if the driver had to stand in the cab. Am I right about that? And what are the ‘scoops’ next to the doors in J6014, at Pier Head, in April,  1978.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Southend Pier photo’s which are all so interesting. I’m not too familiar with the trains, but it looks as if the driver had to stand in the cab. Am I right about that? And what are the ‘scoops’ next to the doors in J6014, at Pier Head, in April,  1978.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Good spot Rob. The April pic with the (apparently) darker green livery has those scoops, in the May ones the carriages appear to have had the scoops removed and the location plated over. Presumably we are looking at two separate rakes of stock, as the plating in the later picture looks not-recent; probably air vents? Judging from the interior window condensation of the first May picture (J6028) showing a service apparently rammed to the gills, ventilation was sorely needed on that service...

Edited by talisman56
Letter transpositions
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1 hour ago, talisman56 said:

Good spot Rob. The April pic with the (apparently) darker green livery has those scoops, in the May ones the carriages appear to have had the scoops removed and the location plated over. Presumably we are looking at two separate rakes of stock, as the plating in the later picture looks not-recent; probably air vents? Judging from the interior window condensation of the first May picture (J6028) showing a service apparently rammed to the gills, ventilation was sorely needed on that service...

I must be very unobservent, I've looked at these photos many times over the last41(!) years and never noticed the differences between the two trains.

They are different trains.  I think that at the time there was one train on each track (or at least just two trains in all).

I remember all the stock as being the same green, but colours often vary on film, even more so once a slide has been scanned.

Green paint does fade so it could be that the two trains were painted at different times.

David

• Thanks 1