Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

There’s some sounds there that sound like it... 1m13s-1m35s especially.. the long one, with the extra short tug used to echo up the valley as it exited Nuttall Tunnel going to Ramsbottom.

i recall it being a bit of a fat potato shaped whistle, with lots of cut outs.

I may have a close up, indeed I might even have a TDK cassette recording still, though I’ve long since had nothing to play it back on.

you can make it out in these pictures here, it’s big enough, if you look at the last image close up you can make out the fat shape with cutouts.

no 8 (3776) by the other hand had a basic hooter that was much flatter.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave

Photo J 3641 has an interesting memory of travelling over part of the Settle and Carlisle line northbound on the back of a Scottish Region Grand Tour.There was a sort of raffle and if you were lucky you got allocated a section in the observation area of CR 1!

I think it was probably about 1969/70

Edited by Steamysandy
Additioalinfo
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Great Western photo’s. They are all full of interest. In J2939, at Fenny Compton, in June, 1972, with a special train from Birmingham to Didcot, the Celebration Steam Run, 7029, Clun Castle, makes a rousing sight as it storms ahead in the wet weather.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Over 3 million views of this thread now! Congratulations, Dave. 

I'm just wondering how you found that, I can't find any figures for views.

David

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, RFS said:

If you list the threads in the forum, it shows the view total, eg https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/45-uk-prototype-discussions-not-questions/

27 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

2821D02B-1FA2-4699-9B7E-D5DAFE6C0710.jpeg

Thanks very much.

I hadn't seen that view -- I use my own version of New Content plus "content I started".

I will look in future.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly congratulations on reaching three million views. That really is a big accomplishment, and I look forward to you reaching six million views.

The  Nottingham to Loughborough photo’s are full of interest and I particularly like J8022 at Trent Lane crossing with a class 120 cross country DMU set number 526, on a Lincoln to Crewe service in July, 1983. A good view of an everyday service operated by such a unit.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Birmingham International and New Street photo’s. They are all full of interest and bring many memories back. In J7270, at Birmingham New Street with EMU 310073, on a Birmingham to Euston service, I see the former headcode box has three white dots rather than the usual two. I cannot recall why that was but presumably it was a local variation.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Birmingham International and New Street photo’s. They are all full of interest and bring many memories back. In J7270, at Birmingham New Street with EMU 310073, on a Birmingham to Euston service, I see the former headcode box has three white dots rather than the usual two. I cannot recall why that was but presumably it was a local variation.

IIRC, Rob, the three dots were to indicate to platform staff (and anyone else in the know) which end the first class was.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Love the photos today.

I do wonder if any of the Ore Tipplers in J2279 have survived at Rocks by Rail, the old Rutland Railway museum.

2019_0527GranthamSteamFair2010010.JPG.62d6d1f8aff8d2e260232795ffa28478.JPG

Not many left now. A rake of 4 on a quarry demonstration day at RBR

Regards

Ian

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Harlaxton Quarries photo’s which are fascinating. It’s sad that they are probably the last ones. I love all those wagons that can be seen in J2279, with a BSC diesel in distance, in August, 1970. I think I have counted about 50. Please note, that even on the most severely rusted examples, that the running numbers and tare weights etc., are all perfectly visible. Something to consider when carrying out heavy weathering on models.

The Blyth and Tyne photo’s are full of interest and what a delightful portrait of 37195, at Freemans crossing, on the 15th May, 1985, in the first photo’, C6909.  Then in C9297, again at Freemans crossing, 56129, on up empties, on the 21st December, 1987, has scrawled in the dirt on the lower cabside, something, in capitals, which I think reads, ‘SAED’. I wonder what that was short for?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 10/07/2019 at 16:15, DaveF said:

North of the Tyne today on the Blyth and Tyne at Backworth and South Newsham.

Backworth is where the Blyth and Tyne towards Blyth and the line to Whitley Bay and Tynemouth diverge.  The Metro station at this location is Northumberland Park, built after the photo was taken just to the west.

33870761_BackworthMetroPelawtoStJamesJan86J8490.jpg.a48f37a285b611fa4b8103309d8c4f8b.jpg

Backworth Metro Pelaw to St James Jan 86 J8490.jpg  The new station is just behind the train.

695041405_BackworthvieweastBlythandTynetoBlythtoleftJan86J8491.jpg.7c8c0aed9f73e7d61c82c93c4f2fb42d.jpg

Backworth view east Blyth and Tyne to Blyth to left Jan 86 J8491.jpg

655570507_SouthNewsham37099runningroundpwtrain4thMarch84C6435.jpg.1497d2bd1132492b4a09087e2001cff1.jpg

South Newsham 37099 running round p w train 4th March 84 C6435.jpg

276022924_SouthNewshamClass254divertedviaBlythandTyneupderailmentatCramlingtonApril84J8117.jpg.db2be3d6b333465a6a93d7c5075b865b.jpg

South Newsham Class 254 diverted via Blyth and Tyne up derailment at Cramlington April 84 J8117.jpg

1743924819_SouthNewshamClass254divertedviaBlythandTyneupderailmentatCramlingtonApril84J8118.jpg.ad86a29dea2ec7849a27ae02cc15a996.jpg

South Newsham Class 254 diverted via Blyth and Tyne up derailment at Cramlington April 84 J8118.jpg

David

Hi David. Was this derailment at Cramlington the freight that came off at Dam Dykes crossing, and then merrilly bounced all the way to the station ruining all the sleepers in the process? I remember us going to the station and watching the track replacement. 3 class 31s on duty I recall, and we got a cab ride! Any pics I wonder?

Edited by blueeighties
Typo

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Hi David. Was this derailment at Cramlington the freight that came off at Dam Dykes crossing, and then merrilly bounced all the way to the station ruining all the sleepers in the process? I remember us going to the station and watching the track replacement. 3 class 31s on duty I recall, and we got a cab ride! Any pics I wonder?

I think so but cannot be 100% certain as diversions over the Blyth and Tyne were quite common around that time.

I do have some photos of track laying at Cramlington but they are of work on the up line, I think after a derailment.  They are at various places in this thread - if you search the thread for "Cramlington" they should appear - along with a lot of other photos.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I notice that a WR brakevan found its' way to Harlaxton; my eyes aren't sharp enough to be able to read the allocation details. One of the wooden opens being used for the tour seems to have been used for china clay, given the amount of white on body and underframe.

I've had a look at the scans of both images showing the brake van.

It appears to read "RU  For use on ?coal? ?trains? Banbury to South Wales.  edit (fro info in post below by Hillside depot (adrian) for coal read ore.

The words with ? each end of them are doubtful.

Enlargement of scan below - not that it is very clear.

335.jpg.c817fc470d8c26832af7b8ea14828f3e.jpg

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I notice that a WR brakevan found its' way to Harlaxton; my eyes aren't sharp enough to be able to read the allocation details. One of the wooden opens being used for the tour seems to have been used for china clay, given the amount of white on body and underframe.

BR Brake Vans & Ballast Ploughs (Gent) shows B953300 as being branded "RU for use on ore trains, Banbury to South Wales".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2