Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

1 hour ago, keefer said:

J5045 is a cracking pic of the 47 hard at work - especially since it looks like you were struggling with the (lack of) light!

Wondering if the headcode has been wound incorrectly (or slipped round), as according to http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt75-76.htm :

There's 1E05 (10.00 Edin-KX, The Flying Scotsman) or 1E07 (10.30 Edin-KX) but no 1E06.

Presumably this train was at Grantham in the early afternoon, with the winter light already fading.

Beat me to it. I was just going to flag that up. 1E05 was a Deltic turn. 1E07 was normally a class 47 turn, although on odd occasions I saw it with an ETS class 31 on the front! I don't recall there ever being a 1E06 in the 1970s (certainly not one that ran south of Doncaster) and a quick scan of my Excel spreadsheet for the period reveals no sightings of anything running as 1E06, BICBW.

• Thanks 1

On 26/08/2019 at 18:35, jonny777 said:

It is really strange, because whenever I went there it gave me 'the creeps'. Did someone suffer a gruesome death there at any time? Or maybe built on a cemetery? 

Yes, much of it was built over a cemetery.  My best memories are from 1966 to '68 of course, but it was still the same familiar place when I travelled via there from Wigan on Friday evenings in 1972/3, and later on a visit in about 1990, though sad that Exchange had been flattened.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s just to the north of Longhirst. They are fascinating and show how the railway was back then. The last one, with a HST with power car 43048 leading, on an up express, on the 7th May, 1988, is an exceptionally well composed shot and could have been used to publicise the HST’s at that time. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the LNWR line to Buxton photo’s, which capture the line perfectly. The first two photo’s at Dove Holes on the 19th April, 1990, with 150215, show the different way the livery was applied on the Network Northwest units, along with 150213 in C15306. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s at Larbert, on the 5th April, 1991. They are full of interest, and I particularly like C15736, with 37408, on an up light engine movement, which is such a delightful portrait of the locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

C14529 It’s not 86629, which never existed, as 86429 was destroyed at Colwich in 1986. The leading loco is in InterCity livery so more likely to still be an 86/4. The crest above the nameplate should be the give away to someone. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Could it be a 87? The front window appears different.

Don’t think so. I can’t find any crest large enough to match. 87012 RBS and 87025 City of Carlisle are closest but too small. 87012 had the INTERCITY (italics) logo by 1990 whereas if 87025 the BR double arrows should be visible behind the driver walking back.

The most likely is 86421 London School of Economics as the crest is the right size, but round whereas in the photo it looks square. 86421 should also have a visible double arrow though I cannot find a 1990 photo of the correct side to confirm whether it had been removed.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I think that’s because it’s the other side of the loco.

You are probably right.

I've had a look at loads of 86s & 87s on the web and a reversed 86 would look like that.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s which are all full of interest. As stated earlier on, in C13821, with 86102, on a Euston to Glasgow express, on the 27th October, 1989, the weathering on it is quite exceptional, and makes a great exercise in how an 86 should be weathered. Again, this also applies to 31449 in C14501. Just such excellent weathering examples.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 27/08/2019 at 17:41, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ECML from the north of Grantham. All are of interest and full of nostalgia. I particularly like J5661, at Peascliffe Tunnel, with class 47, 47552, on a Bradford to Kings Cross express in April, 1977. It’s interesting to note that there are two Mk1 BG’s at the front of the formation.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Nothing unusual about two BGs on a service at this time, the 0900 Hull KGX often had two BGs, quite often would be 81491 and 81492.

• Thanks 2