Jump to content

DaveF

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Recommended Posts

Hi, Dave. I like the Severn Valley Railway photo’s which capture the railway so perfectly from the late seventies and early eighties. In J7183, at Bewdley, with Manor, 7812, Erlestoke Manor, in August, 1980, you have a delightful portrait of the engine.

The Holywood photo’s are fascinating and show a line and station which I have seen little of. I see it was closed by the time of your excellent photo’s, and was clearly looking a bit sorry for itself. 47460 on an up special train, on the 18th February, 1990, in C14033, provides some colour to the former station as it powers through.

 

With warmest regards,

 

 Rob.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2020 at 16:33, Mark Saunders said:

 

Morpeth was the terminal for the Otterburn Ranges after the line closed! The Italians were also a regular user and brought their own train of Ferry Waggons.

Sometime in the late 1980s, I saw a solitary VEA in the middle of the triangular junction just north of the station. I doubt that it was loaded, as I saw it on a Saturday afternoon.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Holywood SB, one of my Control colleagues told me about the time the Signalman for Saturday night shift called off. Being unable to contact anyone else, the Control asked the man on duty (not one of the regulars) if he had contact details in the box for any other Signalmen; He did, and Control contacted one who agreed to cover the shift. Only the following week did Control find out that the man they had contacted, and who had worked the shift, had retired some weeks before !

 

  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Sometime in the late 1980s, I saw a solitary VEA in the middle of the triangular junction just north of the station. I doubt that it was loaded, as I saw it on a Saturday afternoon.

 

Explosives to Morpeth was not uncommon and was tripped from Tyne Yard.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C14029 - had a look for the white Citroen on the DVLA site. Not sure if it was yours or the signalmans...

 

New in October 1989, so less than a year old when photographed in February 1990. Last taxed in 1999 and not renewed in March 2000. So it may have lasted (as little as) 10 years...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dvdlcs said:

C14029 - had a look for the white Citroen on the DVLA site. Not sure if it was yours or the signalmans...

 

New in October 1989, so less than a year old when photographed in February 1990. Last taxed in 1999 and not renewed in March 2000. So it may have lasted (as little as) 10 years...

It has a North East registration plate. I bought one new a couple of months after the photo. Marvellous engine - mine was the 16v with 160 bhp! - but the chassis could be disappointing at times. Not least when imprecise servicing let the hydraulic joints leak a little.....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

C14029 - had a look for the white Citroen on the DVLA site. Not sure if it was yours or the signalmans...

 

New in October 1989, so less than a year old when photographed in February 1990. Last taxed in 1999 and not renewed in March 2000. So it may have lasted (as little as) 10 years...

 

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

It has a North East registration plate. I bought one new a couple of months after the photo. Marvellous engine - mine was the 16v with 160 bhp! - but the chassis could be disappointing at times. Not least when imprecise servicing let the hydraulic joints leak a little.....

 

 

It was mine - the second one I owned.  Very nice cars to drive and comfortable, but once I suffered from a hydraulics leak - though the garage fixed it under warranty.

 

David

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Dave. I like the Teesside photo’s which are full of interest. In C18465, at Grangetown Junction, the class 153, on a Saltburn to Middlesbrough service, on the 14th April, 1993, looks so small compared to the vast industrial surroundings.

 

With warmest regards,

 

 Rob.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J8228 not a parcels.  Postal vehicle suggests either TPO, with guard riding in BG, class 1, or ECS, class 5; parcels would be 3 or 4.  Love the wintry feel of C15579!

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from Buston Barns. They are all full of interest, and I particularly like C15579, of two 56’s, 56108 and 56098, on a down empty coal train, on the 16th February, 1991. Great seeing two 56’s, and they must made quite a sound as they powered that train past your vantage point.

 

With warmest regards,

 

 Rob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Buston Barns 90023 down charter 21st Sept 91 C16581.jpg

 

 

 

 

Sixbells Junction website suggests this as the "Electric Silver Jubilee" rail tour organised by InterCity and Hertfordshire Railtours to celebrate completion of the ECML electrification and 25 Years of WCML electric services.

 

Leaving Kings Cross at 08:05 it ran via the ECML (90.023 suggested as the loco in question) with a scheduled arrival time in Edinburgh of 12:40. Booked to return southwards at 16:42 (with 86.205 as a candidate), it worked via the WCML before a scheduled arrival at Euston at 22.12.

 

 

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

J8228 not a parcels.  Postal vehicle suggests either TPO, with guard riding in BG, class 1, or ECS, class 5; parcels would be 3 or 4.  Love the wintry feel of C15579!

 

Caption now changed to mail, many thanks.

 

5 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

J9408: 43112 in the caption, 43099 in the picture. 

 

My fault, the trailing power car was 43112, caption now corrected.

 

4 hours ago, SP Steve said:

 

Sixbells Junction website suggests this as the "Electric Silver Jubilee" rail tour organised by InterCity and Hertfordshire Railtours to celebrate completion of the ECML electrification and 25 Years of WCML electric services.

 

Leaving Kings Cross at 08:05 it ran via the ECML (90.023 suggested as the loco in question) with a scheduled arrival time in Edinburgh of 12:40. Booked to return southwards at 16:42 (with 86.205 as a candidate), it worked via the WCML before a scheduled arrival at Euston at 22.12.

 

 

 

Many thanks for this, I was in too much of a hurry today so didn't think to look at Sixbells Junction website before I posted the images.

 

By the way,

 

I posted a similar reply to this several hours ago, I wonder where it went because it has vanished.

 

The wonders of technology.

 

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

J9006- Paisley- Wisbech pet-food?

 

 

Yes, looks very much like 6E80.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J9580: a very modelable train that, as of yesterday, I can (almost) perfectly reproduce: Farish Class 31, Dapol Grampus, two Farish SPAs, a Revolution Sturgeon and a Farish brake van. That house immediately behind the brake van is the one that “broke the back” of the third Mk3 sleeper in the 1984 derailment. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

J9580: a very modelable train that, as of yesterday, I can (almost) perfectly reproduce: Farish Class 31, Dapol Grampus, two Farish SPAs, a Revolution Sturgeon and a Farish brake van. That house immediately behind the brake van is the one that “broke the back” of the third Mk3 sleeper in the 1984 derailment. 

One of my old customers used to live in the house behind; she used to say the people in the 1st house had fortunately been away when the train hit.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Dave. I like the Morpeth photo’s which are all full of interest. In the last one, with 37083 and a Shark, on the 29th October, 1992, it’s a great photo’ for how that Shark has weathered, and I may use that to help me to weather a model which I have.

 

With warmest regards,

 

 Rob.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.