Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Is the Bowes Railway still operating  as I seem to remember reading about problems with vandals and lack of volunteres?

The website (obvious) says it is closed at the moment.

I have not been able to visit for some time but I think it does still open, but don't know when.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Bowes Railway photo’s which are fascinating and all of interest. In, J7079, at Blackhams Hill, with wagons ascending on the rope, in August, 1980, it’s interesting to see the rope being pulled on to presumably keep it on course now it was at the top of the incline.

The Carlisle photo’s are full of interest, and cover a good selection of trains. In J10933, with a Derby Lightweight, class 108, DMU, on a Carlisle to Whitehaven service, in May, 1990, it can be clearly seen that the cab front was by that date in quite a state with much rust clearly visible, and other areas of the paintwork bulging in a bad way. I hope it was withdrawn quickly after that date.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Some great images as usual, I like looking beyond the subject. Today we have the old Comet store (long gone), the Alcan tankers, and presumably a charter with Maroon coach in the background.

The 08 with the snowplough, painted white? to camoflage it in use. Reminds me of PE one winter when after a light-ish snowfall, the teacher came out to the football pitch and immediately asked who had brought out a white ball, as they could run back and get an orange one so we could see it. Well, except his language was a little more colourful....

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Some great images as usual, I like looking beyond the subject. Today we have the old Comet store (long gone), the Alcan tankers, and presumably a charter with Maroon coach in the background.

The 08 with the snowplough, painted white? to camoflage it in use. Reminds me of PE one winter when after a light-ish snowfall, the teacher came out to the football pitch and immediately asked who had brought out a white ball, as they could run back and get an orange one so we could see it. Well, except his language was a little more colourful....

Regards,

Dave

The maroon coach was in the set used for the crew training specials at that time from Carlisle to Kirkby Stephen, which were open to the public.  It was hauled by a BR 2-6-4T.

David

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Davexoc said:

The 08 with the snowplough, painted white? to camoflage it in use

I thought they were yellow - the light's awkward in that photo - but I can't be sure. The same design is still in use currently, and the ones at Doncaster were yellow a month or so back.

I've got an early photo of one of those 1980s conversions (of class 40 bogies), but can't lay my hand on it just now.

Edit: found the photo on p5 of the AC Electrics thread - it's a black and white photo!

Edited by eastwestdivide
photo
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

More excellent pictures. C14395 at peak forest is crying out to be modelled. The line side clutter, the hills for the back scene and sidings full of wagons, love it.

Thanks for posting.

I agree

I always like more track, points, crossings & lineside ephemera. Remnants of things past etc.

Dead straight lines with boringly straight fences less so.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Staffordshire and Derbyshire photo’s which are all of interest. In C14249, at Middleton Top, with the C&HP boilers, on Sunday, 8th April, 1990, you can see much detail, and it should be of use to those wishing to make models of them. The last photo’ of two 37’s running light engines, at Great Rocks, on the 19th April, 1990, C14406, and it’s interesting how the leading engine has the Railfreight logo, whilst the rear engine does not.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
Correcting a spelling error.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

C14395. What is that in the siding (blue coach?) - top left of picture behind the signal?

Great pictures Dave, as always.

Peak Forest shots always welcome.

Is that the 104 DTC that was converted to sandite use and now on NNR?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

C13790 should have been offered to BR as a poster. Magnificent.

And J9611 is ideal for modelling. Short and unlikely (but here Mr critic is the photo to prove it).

Jonathan

Not that short! There are quite a few Sturgeon, Tench or Salmon wagons behind the coach, some loaded with track panels. I’m always on the lookout for odd bits and pieces that could be part of an engineers department train but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mk1 BCK used as a tool/support/mess vehicle before. The train in J9665 includes a Mk1 CCT which I think were more common in that role.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Ulgham Lane photo’s, they are full of interest, and in J10648, you have a great view of the installation of new level crossing barriers in March, 1990. Always interesting to see new infrastructure being installed, and it often makes for good models too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

I’m always on the lookout for odd bits and pieces that could be part of an engineers department train but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mk1 BCK used as a tool/support/mess vehicle before.

I think it may be a BSO rather than a BCK as I can't make out toilet space at the near end.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

I think it may be a BSO rather than a BCK as I can't make out toilet space at the near end.

You're probably right. I saw the five compartment windows and assumed it was a BCK as until today, I didn’t know BSOs with five compartments existed. Every day is a school day :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll have to look more carefully next time. Thanks for correcting me. But when modelling don't forget the yellow door (of course there could also be one the other side). I assume it was to replace a damaged one. And I had to look twice to decide whether it was in engineering green or SR green. The former I assume.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I'll have to look more carefully next time. Thanks for correcting me. But when modelling don't forget the yellow door (of course there could also be one the other side). I assume it was to replace a damaged one. And I had to look twice to decide whether it was in engineering green or SR green. The former I assume.

Jonathan

It is Engineers green.

Most of today's photos were taken on Supasnaps slide film m(ade I believe by 3M) which changed colours a lot over the years as the dyes in the film faded.

David

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tyne yard photo’s which all are of interest. In C15947, it’s quite a sight to see three two car class 158’s, 158789 and 158788 and 158741, on a down service, on the 19th June, 1991. Also, the livery looks quite like that on the new Bachmann models in that livery, where it’s reported that the beige stripes are too dark. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

C5828 at Tyne shows a p'way spoil train made up of  rebodied 21 ton minerals, 27 ton iron ore tipplers all of which were only used for a short time before being replaced by vacuum braked 16 ton minerals.

The 21 ton minerals were frequently overloaded by over enthusiastic digger drivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1