Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the High Dyke photo’s which all show various aspects of the location. All are of interest, and it’s incredible to believe that the most recent photo’ is nearly forty years ago! In C1760, in August, 1974, you can see what may be ashes quietly burning on the line around the back of the signal box. Also it shows some of the lovely semaphore signals clearly. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DaveF said:

236705393_HighDykeClass47upAug74C1758.jpg.55dd765b1dd815085eee4602da43dea2.jpg

High Dyke Class 47 up Aug 74 C1758.jpg  Taken from NER saloon 305 on the High Dyke branch headshunt.

Whatever is going on in the sidings has caught just about everybody's attention in the first coach..

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, LNERGE said:

Whatever is going on in the sidings has caught just about everybody's attention in the first coach..

Pendennis Castle exchanging whistles with the 47?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Pendennis Castle exchanging whistles with the 47?

I think there was a whistle, but it we were hauled by anAvonside 0-4-0ST "Fred" on this occassion, sadly not Pendennis Castle..

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/04/2020 at 09:44, caradoc said:

C16718: Don't think so, that was just the version of the double arrow used on 'Strathclyde Red' livery. BTW in the book 'BR Coaching Stock in Colour since 1960 (Robert Hendry, Ian Allan 2006) there is a picture of 314215 with what the author believes to be a red double arrow, however this is actually just the less-faded paintwork left when the black double arrow was removed post-privatisation !  

AFAIR the unpainted Aluminium finish PEP prototype coaches (in 2001 originally) used red double arrows and lettering...

Edited by talisman56
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like all of the Carlisle photo’s which are full of interest. In the first one, with a class 86, on a London Euston to Glasgow and Edinburgh express in April, 1987, the dull weather has emphasised how the right marker light is much brighter than the one on the left. Hopefully a fault which would be made good as soon as possible.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DaveF said:

Carlisle again today, 4 of the photos are from 1987 and one a few years later.

1557473840_CarlisleClass87EustontoGalsgowandEdinburghApril87J8807.jpg.605fdb815a54d9ea7acd00ea02632031.jpg

Carlisle Class 86 Euston to Glasgow and Edinburgh April 87 J8807.jpg

As far as I can remember the only service from Euston to serve both Glasgow and Edinburgh was 1S64 12:25 Euston - Glasgow / Edinburgh which ran M-F

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s which are full of interest. In the first one, at Seghill looking north, on the 5th August, 1985, you have a view which captures so well the semi dereliction of the line by that date with one line out of use. And there must have been quite a wait at the level crossing in J8556, at Bedlington Station, with the class 101 on The Chevy Chase charter, from Newcastle to Blyth and Tyne, in  April, 1986. I see people were still looking around on the platform, with the signal on, despite the barriers being down. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the K&WVR photo’s which show, so well, the earlier years of that lines life in preservation. The first one of Haworth, with LMS Black 5, 5212, on a Keighley to Oxenhope service in September, 1970, might  well have been taken back in steam days before dieselisation and then closure. 
The Winning photo’s are as full of interest as ever, and in J8343, with 37161, on a down light engine movement, with a brake van, in August, 1985, you have a great portrait of the 37 amongst some typical lineside vegetation. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures again David 

I'd forgotten how stylish a 56 in railfreight grey looked. 

Most classes looked better with the red stripe but when you see a picture like this I think it looked better without it. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Swayfield photo’s which are all full of interest. In J4001, you have 55008, on the up Yorkshire pullman, in August, 1974. It makes a fine sight at the head of that Pullman train, albeit  most of the train is formed of air conditioned Mkll stock.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Hi Dave,

J4001 is not 55008. The nameplate is too high and has no crest. It’s a HA loco and the only one with single line of text to have lost it’s crest so early was 55013.

Once again, many thanks for correcting the loco identities for me.

I appreciate it very much indeed.

David