Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML north from Darlington. All are of interest, and how things have changed. In the first one at Darlington, C14456,  the class 142, 142050, on a Bishop Auckland to Saltburn service, on the 12th May, 1990, is now just a memory, no longer being in service. Indeed no 142’s will be seen at Darlington anymore, so thank goodness for these photo’s which are of the greatest of value.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I thought  I  saw a 142 at York over the weekend. Looking at the picture I didn't realise they kept the original doors that long, not sure if it would have had voith gearboxes by then. Mind can't believe it was thirty years ago seems like yesterday 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s which are all of interest. In J9236, with class 47, 47481, on a Leeds to Carlisle service, in September, 1987, that is a well composed photo’, and you can see lettering of the first coach, a Mk1 SK. I can’t quite make the lettering out, but I don’t think it can be InterCity. As far as I recall, Mk1’s were not so branded.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Market65 said:

In J9236, with class 47, 47481, on a Leeds to Carlisle service, in September, 1987, that is a well composed photo’, and you can see lettering of the first coach, a Mk1 SK. I can’t quite make the lettering out, but I don’t think it can be InterCity. As far as I recall, Mk1’s were not so branded.

I noticed the lettering too; it looks like it could be ScotRail. On the subject of coaches, the train behind the locos in J8876 appears to be a rake of InterCity Motorail Mk1s. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s which are all of interest. In J9236, with class 47, 47481, on a Leeds to Carlisle service, in September, 1987, that is a well composed photo’, and you can see lettering of the first coach, a Mk1 SK. I can’t quite make the lettering out, but I don’t think it can be InterCity. As far as I recall, Mk1’s were not so branded.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

I noticed the lettering too; it looks like it could be ScotRail. On the subject of coaches, the train behind the locos in J8876 appears to be a rake of InterCity Motorail Mk1s. 

I've had a look at my original scan, I think it says "Buffet"

David

On 09/02/2020 at 22:24, russ p said:

Why does the NYMR use propelling lamps as headlamps they are far to big ,basically a tail lamp with  white  lenses 

Sorry to be a bit tardy on this - just catching up on this thread.

I think those lamps are LMS loco lamps and my memory suggests that only 5428 and 4767 carried this style of lamp. They were significantly different to the LNER style that most other NYMR locos carried.

But it was a long time ago..

Stuart

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Stuart said:

Sorry to be a bit tardy on this - just catching up on this thread.

I think those lamps are LMS loco lamps and my memory suggests that only 5428 and 4767 carried this style of lamp. They were significantly different to the LNER style that most other NYMR locos carried.

But it was a long time ago..

Stuart

I very definitely seen propelling lamps used as headlamps up there, the lamps are the same size as a standard tail lamp but with  clear lenses 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the ECML in Northumberland photo’s which are full of interest, and, as stated, it’s a lovely countryside, and places like Holy Island are so close by.

In J9323, at Buston Barns, with 37051, on a down freight train, in October, 1987, you can see how the open wagons are leaving a trail of dust, and also, in the field, in the distance, on the right, there is some smoke presumably from stubble burning. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DaveF said:

Along the East Coast Main Line in Northumberland today, mainly in fine sunny weather.

The photos are arranged heading north.

Brotherwick is really just a farm by the railway south of Buston Barns and inland from Warkworth for those of you unfortunate enough not to know Northumberland well.

All these locations are within a fairly short drive from home - I hope that one day it will be possible to revisit them (and my reason for not having been taking photos for some time has nothing to do with Covid19).

2106747401_BrotherwickClass90up16thJan93C18256.jpg.ed0126695bcd964636e9f7aac43e2a39.jpg

Brotherwick Class 90 up 16th Jan 93 C18256.jpg

1240608851_BustonBarns37051downfreightOct87J9323.jpg.d7dad4fd66e843b18bb3debc8d242d3a.jpg

Buston Barns 37051 down freight Oct 87 J9323.jpg

1940423110_BustonBarns43069AberdeentoKingsXOct88J9682.jpg.219104e34dcc6ff8ad5f2a17c7092af7.jpg

Buston Barns 43069 Aberdeen to Kings X Oct 88 J9682.jpg

1391541944_Alnmouth43122down22ndAug89C13722.jpg.2d892aff521506bc7bb326287fd70246.jpg

Alnmouth 43122 down 22nd Aug 89 C13722.jpg

658186202_AlnmouthClass254EdinburghtoKingsXSept88J9681.jpg.9edea5599f7a29bf5327862afad7b877.jpg

Alnmouth Class 254 Edinburgh to Kings X Sept 88 J9681.jpg

David

Some absolutely superb photos in this group, particularly the first, third and last. Did you manage to rescue your car?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 62613 said:

Some absolutely superb photos in this group, particularly the first, third and last. Did you manage to rescue your car?

28 minutes ago, andytrains said:

Front wheel drive, so probably no problem.

Superb photos.

The car may have looked as though the rear wheel was in deep mud, but it was actually on gravel, the muddy soil was about a fgoor to the right of the car.

I had reversed off the road very carefully.

David

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, DaveF said:

The car may have looked as though the rear wheel was in deep mud, but it was actually on gravel, the muddy soil was about a fgoor to the right of the car.

I had reversed off the road very carefully.

David

A 'fgoor' - is that the one with 12 itchles? :jester:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Presumably 3 foogrs make a yardrm, which means you can have a drnki when the sun is over it.  Or, in decimal, 10 millipedes = 1 centipede, and 10 centipedes = 1 metermaid, lovely Rita.  1 Rita = a good night out, or an even better night in...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Interesting in J8557 that the platform has no end ramp. I thought at that time the powers that be still insisted on them. I know that now they are regarded as a hazard as they allow people to get on to the line, but things were different then. In fact it looks as though a ramp may have been removed as there is space for it, rough ground and new brickwork. So when  did the change in the rules happen?

The Blyth & Tyne is a really fascinating line.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Looking at J8558 I suspect it was no longer actually a station, so the lack of ramp wouldn't be so odd. The signal is certainly less than the six foot from the platform edge for required fixed obstructions.

Bedlington Station was closed on 2nd November 1964, so had been closed for over 20 years when the photo was taken. 

• Thanks 2