Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Much of the S&C is like that.

At Ribblehead you have a virtual quarry with two sidings

Northbound, trains to there have to back in.

Southbound, trains from there have to pull forward across the viaduct into the loop, loco runs round and then the train heads south.

Modern image, Midland Station Building, viaduct (single track), run round loop. Class 156 DMUs, Steam specials.

Plenty of operating potential.

With a tunnel at one end for a scenic break, and track curved almost throughout

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like these latest photo’s of York, which are all of much interest. The first one, of a Metro Cammell DMU, on a York to Harrogate service, on the 28th July, 1986, is actually a class 111 with Rolls Royce engines. As always, you can tell from the smooth faced battery boxes and the straight exhaust pipe. Admittedly they are otherwise quite difficult to tell apart from the more numerous class 101’s.

It’s good to see a Skipper, class 142 in C9531, with 142020 on a Manchester to Scarborough service, on the 26th June, 1988. Quite an ordeal though on such a long journey.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like these latest photo’s of York, which are all of much interest. The first one, of a Metro Cammell DMU, on a York to Harrogate service, on the 28th July, 1986, is actually a class 111 with Rolls Royce engines. As always, you can tell from the smooth faced battery boxes and the straight exhaust pipe. Admittedly they are otherwise quite difficult to tell apart from the more numerous class 101’s.

It’s good to see a Skipper, class 142 in C9531, with 142020 on a Manchester to Scarborough service, on the 26th June, 1988. Quite an ordeal though on such a long journey.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Would that one of those that ran a power twins but with only one engine per car and remembered 78xxx

The felt very sluggish even more so than a standard 101 power trailer set 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

russ p, that is correct. A number of  those 111 units were so converted  to one engine per power car, and like you said they were somewhat sluggish as a result. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

At least it's got something better hooked up behind for those preferring a more comfortable ride ....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, RFS said:

At least it's got something better hooked up behind for those preferring a more comfortable ride ....

About a year after this an instruction was issued that 14x dmus could only work with 150s out of the 15x units. It had something to do with the throw of couplers on curves. Think it was later rescinded but I believe they are banned from working with 170s . I don't think I've ever seen them working together 

• Thanks 1

Interesting to see that, in J9053, you have caught the 150 that was involved in the collision with a crane at Seamer (150 212), some five months later than your image. The written-off vehicle was that nearest the camera, 57212. Following a further incident the following year, involving 150 209 and writing off 57209, the two surviving vehicles were paired up (and remain so to this day). That makes it the only Sprinter unit that has no toilet.

The 52209+52212 set eventually ended up with First Great Western, although it has recently transferred back to Northern. I've always wondered why the Wales & Borders franchise never claimed it (or swapped it) to use on the Cardiff Bay shuttle, where the lack of toilet wouldn't be an issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 23/04/2020 at 08:10, corneliuslundie said:

Nice to see a 155. Plenty of them still around as 153s but I didn't realise until I checked that some survived as 155s and I seem to have seen very few photos.

Jonathan

155345 in West Yorkshire Metro livery at Preston on 17-4-1993.

155345 WY Metro.jpg

Edited by Leander
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

C16597 is the classic example to me of a downside of locally branded liveries. A Strathclyde liveried Class 156 operating between Carlisle and Newcastle must make the punters scratch their heads. It's not even in the same country. If you're going to do it, at least keep the units on relevant local services.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

The Newcastle to Carlisle line today, all the places happen to begin with "W".

119518570_WestWylamClass101NewcastletoHexhamMarch85J8236.jpg.4fa07e601a7675bd82aeecd21ab2eac9.jpg

West of Wylam Class 101 Newcastle to Hexham March 85 J8236.jpg

Hagg Bank, also known as 'The Points', which was the junction for the line via North Wylam to Newcastle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

C16597 is the classic example to me of a downside of locally branded liveries. A Strathclyde liveried Class 156 operating between Carlisle and Newcastle must make the punters scratch their heads. It's not even in the same country. If you're going to do it, at least keep the units on relevant local services.

It was on a working from Newcastle to Stranraer Harbour.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s, all of which are of interest. In J8168, at Wylam, looking west, in August, 1984, you have a great view of the footbridge, and signal cabin. They will be of help to those who may be making models of them. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Corkerhill's 14 Strathclyde-liveried units did work mainly in and around Glasgow, but with through trains to Carlisle and Newcastle they inevitably went much further afield - As indeed the very same units still do, albeit nowadays in Scotrail livery ! Keeping the Strathclyde-liveried sets in Strathclyde was an impossibility, both in theory (ie diagramming) and reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting pictures David,  had the riverside branch just been lifted? 

The tynemouth pier line got me thinking I recently saw that on something,  possibly the likely lads and I wondered when it had closed 

• Thanks 1

Whittingham station featured on George Clark’s Restoration Man a couple of years ago, I watched it at the time and a very good program  https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/slideshow-home-be-proud-407816

And for sale- https://www.onedome.com/search/property/74660_346200_S?utm_source=trovit&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=Trovit&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=organic

Edited by 43110andyb
To add link
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russ p said:

Interesting pictures David,  had the riverside branch just been lifted? 

The tynemouth pier line got me thinking I recently saw that on something,  possibly the likely lads and I wondered when it had closed 

I think  the Riverside branchhad been lifted recently, but it is a part of Tyneside I rarely go to, so cannot be certain.

As for the Tynemouth Pier line I am not sure of the closure date but will try to remember to look it up.

It certainly closed before I moved to Northumberland in 1980.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the disused railway photo's from the north east of England. They are all full of interest, and I too find it most interesting that so much of Whittingham station has survived all these years. In C13891, at Wallsend, with the trackbed of the Riverside branch, on the 28th December, 1989, you can see clearly how the trackbed dipped underneath that bridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1