Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Pilmoor photo’s which you have found, and thank you for posting them. In particular, I like J1295, of preserved A3, 4472, Flying Scotsman, on the Leeds to Edinburgh special train, the 40th anniversary, non stop on the 1st May, 1968. The footplate was quite crowded.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Help required please, I've tried searching, but I'm not sure where exactly David's picture was taken, so I'm struggling!

I'm looking for the picture, and subsequent information, which had an ex LNER 21 ton coal wagon in it, it was a going away shot taken, I think, between Bottesford and Grantham, in the late 60's/early 70's.

It was posted a few years ago and I've only just bought what I think is the Parkside wagon featured.

TIA.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Help required please, I've tried searching, but I'm not sure where exactly David's picture was taken, so I'm struggling!

I'm looking for the picture, and subsequent information, which had an ex LNER 21 ton coal wagon in it, it was a going away shot taken, I think, between Bottesford and Grantham, in the late 60's/early 70's.

It was posted a few years ago and I've only just bought what I think is the Parkside wagon featured.

TIA.

Mike.

Was it the one below?

It was in this topic on October 9th, 2016. on page 316.

I have to admit that I found it by looking at my flickr album on the Nottingham to Grantham line, noting the image file number and then searching in this topic.

Here are some of the comments about the image:

From Enterprising Western:

J1786.

Droolworthy on so many levels, a mineral wagon weathering masterclass and a cupboard door 21? tonner, what is it?, I'm off for a rub down with a copy of the Radio Times and a lie down in a darkened room.

Mike.

From Fat Controller:

The cupboard-door 21 tonner is an ex-LNER loco coal wagon. There were several designs, of which the one shown is one of the later ones; earlier designs included one with a 'reversed' sole-bar (flat face of the channel to the outside) and sloping sides. When these wagons were redundant on loco coal workings, they gravitated to domestic and industrial flows, alongside their GWR and LMS equivalents- they were often seen on coal trains to Carmarthen Bay power station in the early-mid 1970s. As late as the early 1970s, I saw an example at Llanelli stabling point, recently repainted and bearing a black patch with 'LOCO' on it. Parkside do this type.

didn't realise they lasted this long, thanks for the potted history.

Order off to Parkside for a couple then.

A bit of further research for livery and numbers.

Mike.

296497805_BottesfordWestJunctionClass31D5803upmineralJuly69J1786.jpg.ff5540aa694f68922f45d7d364484289.jpg

Bottesford West Junction Class 31 D5803 up mineral July 69 J1786.jpg

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Was it the one below?

It was in this topic on October 9th, 2016.

I have to admit that I found it by looking at my flickr album on the Nottingham to Grantham line, noting the image file number and then searching in this topic.

Link to the original page with the photo and comments made at the time:  

Sorry, you have to scroll down the page to find the post and subsequent comments.

296497805_BottesfordWestJunctionClass31D5803upmineralJuly69J1786.jpg.ff5540aa694f68922f45d7d364484289.jpg

David

Super David, that's the one, thank you very much.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, DaveF said:

Was it the one below?

It was in this topic on October 9th, 2016. on page 316.

Here are some of the comments about the image:

J1786.

Droolworthy on so many levels, a mineral wagon weathering masterclass and a cupboard door 21? tonner, what is it?, I'm off for a rub down with a copy of the Radio Times and a lie down in a darkened room.

Mike.

From Fat Controller:

The cupboard-door 21 tonner is an ex-LNER loco coal wagon. There were several designs, of which the one shown is one of the later ones; earlier designs included one with a 'reversed' sole-bar (flat face of the channel to the outside) and sloping sides. When these wagons were redundant on loco coal workings, they gravitated to domestic and industrial flows, alongside their GWR and LMS equivalents- they were often seen on coal trains to Carmarthen Bay power station in the early-mid 1970s. As late as the early 1970s, I saw an example at Llanelli stabling point, recently repainted and bearing a black patch with 'LOCO' on it. Parkside do this type.

didn't realise they lasted this long, thanks for the potted history.

Order off to Parkside for a couple then.

A bit of further research for livery and numbers.

Mike.

David

What a fantastic picture,  very surprised to see the signal arm towards Melton still in place at such a late date. Was there a quarry or something down there that kept a bit of this line open? I wonder whether the other two boxes were still open at this time

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which are all of interest. In the last one, at Riding Mill, with a hybrid DMU, class 119 C590, with a class 116 TS, on a Hexham to Sunderland service, in September, 1987, that has to be quite a curiosity. I wasn’t aware that such units worked services so far north. I wonder if it might have been due to the reliability issues with class 143’s? 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, russ p said:

What a fantastic picture,  very surprised to see the signal arm towards Melton still in place at such a late date. Was there a quarry or something down there that kept a bit of this line open? I wonder whether the other two boxes were still open at this time

I had to look this up as I had forgotten about the signals in the photo.

Apparently the oil depot at Redmile, on the line to Melton Mowbray was rail served until 1970, to that  must be the reason for the right hand signal arm.

David

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I had to look this up as I had forgotten about the signals in the photo.

Apparently the oil depot at Redmile, on the line to Melton Mowbray was rail served until 1970, to that  must be the reason for the right hand signal arm.

David

Thanks David,  that would explain it. I would think it was just left as a spur and the link to the Newark line closed.

Today's pictures are very good look from a time heaton was struggling with the 143s hence the presence of rarities such as 119s

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s, which are all of interest. In C14042, that’s a great photo’ of K4 3442, and an Ethel, ex class 25, on The Pennine Pullman, from London, via the S&C, on the 18th February, 1990. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To re-space two lines.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the ECML photo’s in Northumberland which all are of interest. In C14572, at Rock, south of Christon Bank, the leading class 43 power car is actually 43071, not 43041, on a down express, on the 25th July, 1990. The last photo’, at Scremerston, in August, 1981, with a class 254 HST on an up express, is a most excellent view of a HST in near original condition and the livery that they were best in.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the ECML photo’s in Northumberland which all are of interest. In C14572, at Rock, south of Christon Bank, the leading class 43 power car is actually 43071, not 43041, on a down express, on the 25th July, 1990. The last photo’, at Scremerston, in August, 1981, with a class 254 HST on an up express, is a most excellent view of a HST in near original condition and the livery that they were best in.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

43041 was a typing error by me, once again.

I've now corrected it, many thanks for pointing it out.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for continuing to post David. I don't know what we shall do when you have posted all your and your father's photos!

What I really like is seeing proper freight traffic, not just block trains of container wagons, and also lots of coal trains, now largely a thing of the past, though for very good reasons.

Jonathan

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Thanks for continuing to post David. I don't know what we shall do when you have posted all your and your father's photos!

We shall have to ask very nicely for him to go out and take lots more! PLEASE!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s from Winning on the Blyth and Tyne. All are of interest and full of nostalgia. The first one, of 37161, on a train of up hoppers, in August, 1985, is a good shot alongside the nearly empty road, with the hoppers disappearing into the distance.

I’m sure I’m right in saying there are plenty more photo’s yet to be posted, so we can all rest easy with lot’s more to look forward to. And, indeed, thank you, David, for continuing to spoil us each day with the photo’s. They are much appreciated, and are helping us to get through the virus restrictions much easier. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning, David. I like the photo’s of Cadeby, which are all of interest. The Reverend Teddy Boston certainly collected many interesting engines etc., and I recall that model railway. The first photo’ shows what must have been one of the first repaints of a Tri-ang B12/3 into LNER green, and J1398, shows a derelict/rusty Kerr Stuart, 0-4-0ST, Margaret, number 605 of 1894, ex Penrhyn, in August, 1968. I wonder what became of that engine.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I bet that last one was popular along the country lanes!

Mike.

Perhaps that car was Fawlty?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Perhaps that car was Fawlty?

Phil, I think that’s a Mk2 Cortina not a Morris 1100 Countryman which makes it more likely to be in Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased).

//Simon 

• Thanks 1