Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Morpeth photo’s which all are of interest. In the last photo’, with 47413 hauling  a class 91 and Mk4 coaches, on the 28th May, 1991, you have captured a good sight of that train. Always interesting to see a class 91 and coaches being diesel hauled.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Dry Doddington photo’s which are all full of interest and nostalgia. The first one of 254025, on an Aberdeen to Kings Cross express in April, 1979, is a particularly clear shot, and shows a HST in original condition before the smoke deflectors wete retrofitted.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the latest Dry Doddington photo’s which are all full of interest and nostalgia. The first one of 254025, on an Aberdeen to Kings Cross express in April, 1979, is a particularly clear shot, and shows a HST in original condition before the smoke deflectors wete retrofitted.

And with two catering vehicles split up. Next shot we have just one catering vehicle and the exhaust deflectors are fitted, followed by a set with two catering vehicles, but marshalled together. And finally a set which appears to be missing a catering  vehicle, but now with a TGS, either that or it is a 253 set. The IC125 in the livery it looks best, well IMO.....

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Davexoc said:

And finally a set which appears to be missing a catering  vehicle,

Possibly missing a TS. If there were only one first-class coach I would say it was a NE/SW set.

The first four photos show very nicely the evolution of ECML HST formations

1. TRUK + TRSB separated by two TSs. No TGS.

2. TRUB. No TGS.

3. TRUK + TRSB marshalled together. Hard to tell but probably a TGS by that date.

4. The oddball.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s from between Grantham and Nottingham. All are of interest, and of particular interest is C11976, at Radcliffe on Trent, with a class 114 DMU on a Grantham to Derby service on the 9th June, 1989. Always interesting to see that class 114 with the WM for West Midlands on the cab front.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Blyth & Tyne seems particularly good at throwing up a bit of 'bleak and cheerless', and J8257 is a classic; got the tractor, I mean the farmer's one, just at the right place in the turn for the composition.  First class stuff!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2020 at 19:16, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the Morpeth photo’s which all are of interest. In the last photo’, with 47413 hauling  a class 91 and Mk4 coaches, on the 28th May, 1991, you have captured a good sight of that train. Always interesting to see a class 91 and coaches being diesel hauled.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It would be interesting to know just how many miles 47413 clocked up dragging 91s and their Mark 4s in that period. 47413 was a regular along with 47402, 47417 and 47418 (and non-generator 47517 for a period) on the Leeds-Bradford drags before the wires made it to Bradford.  At that time my brother and I used to head over from Manchester to Leeds to see the evening drags and often stay over at my Nan's in Leeds.  We kept on missing '402. We'd see it on Holbeck from a distance, but never up close to get a decent photo. On one occasion, after another trip not seeing it in Leeds we passed it in the dark on the edge of Manchester on the train home as it worked a Leeds-Crewe freightliner!

Simon

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest photo’s at Winning. All are of interest and capture views which are now of historic interest. In the first photo’, with 56133 on empties from Blyth power station on the 10th April, 1985, the class 56 looks especially good in it’s clean large logo blue livery. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Ffestiniog Railway photo’s which are full of interest, and show both the railway and the Welsh scenery it passes through. In C4670, at Tan y Bwlch, with Hunslet, Linda, on a Tan y Grisiau to Porthmadog train, on the 4th August, 1979, you can see how crowded the footplate was. 

The Great Western photo’s are evocative of what is now another age altogether. All are expertly composed, and in J3414 at Hereford, Bulmers, with preserved King class 4-6-0, 6000, in September, 1973, from the low angle of the camera you get an overwhelming sense of the power and majesty of the engine. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Manchester Victoria photo’s from the 18th March, 1989. They show that it was in need of some repainting, if nothing else by that date. That is so apparent in C11694, with 150203 on a service which is not going to Holyhead. The 142’s fit in well with the grim scene too. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Luke Piewalker said:

There was something about the dank of Manchester Victoria... Faded grandeur and all that...

You were always guaranteed to get some great photo's as virtually everything ran through the area.

• Thanks 1

On 07/06/2020 at 15:39, DaveF said:

For this afternoon here is a collection of images to do with the Great Western.

1584185266_BristolTempleMeads43023BristoltoNewcastle1stJuly89C12100a.jpg.526410957e6086a2b8ea20f7b6661166.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads 43023 Bristol to Newcastle 1st July 89 C12100a.jpg

David

With the closure of the nearby Royal Mail building (many years ago) and the recent removal of the associated bridges and buildings on the platforms, the 'Up' end of BTM is a lot less cluttered nowadays...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mullie said:

Are the first three photos posted today real or is that a particularly good N gauge layout!

Martyn

If it's an 'N' Gauge layout I'd like to know where he got his 'VEP' models.

You weren't missing much with the photos being monochrome. Flat plain BR Blue livery and small yellow panels - the only relief was the raised Aluminium double arrows...

Edited by talisman56
  • Thanks 1