Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

In C16713, at Glasgow Central low level, with 303073, on a service to Dalmuir, on the 29th February, 1992, you can see two lots of wires hanging down on the rear cab bulkhead. I wonder what it was in connection with - track circuit operating clips for use in an emergency?

Yes, they look like track circuit operating clips to me. When I worked in Reading PSB we had some hanging on the wall. The only time they were ever used was for a particular shunt move to stable a train on the up goods line between the station and the box. As this was a wrong direction movement you could only clear the shunt signal onto this line if there was a train (or part of one) already occupying it, there being no exit signal or limit of shunt board (a train already sitting there was, in effect, the limit of shunt). So to get a train onto the unoccupied line we had to cheat. Someone would go down and put the track circuit operating clip on the up goods thus fooling the system and allowing the signal onto it to be cleared. Once the shunt move was occupying the relevant track circuit itself, you could take the clip off and go back indoors. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Southern EMUs were equipped with TC Operating Clips. The wire was just long enough to stretch between the rails - but not as far as the third rail, and the instructions clearly stated that the first clip must be placed on the further rail. All very well, but it became a bit difficult when the wire had broken - and some well-meaning prat had simply tied a knot in it.....

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Bottesford and Radcliffe on Trent photo’s, on the  Grantham to Nottingham line. They are all of interest, and the last photo’ of Radcliffe on Trent, with a class 114 unit, on a Nottingham to Skegness service in Dec, 1979, shows why white is not a good colour for a livery. It gets dirty much too quickly, and therefore requires much more cleaning.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Some very classy photos there, Dave. Whilst I like DMU's anyway from this era you've captured them perfectly in the shots of the 114s. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent timing Dave, I was only just thinking about modelling this particular train earlier this afternoon as I was making plans for a 1980's Holbeck style N gauge cameo layout. I have some photo's that I took at the time of some of the wagons, although I seem to remember that there were at least 2 or 3 different types in the train. (Edit - as can be just made out in the first photo, j10787)

Shame that I can't quite make out the loco numbers....possibly 31 156 and 31 229 ??

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Extra comment added.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s from the Grassington branch with those two class 31’s on a train from Swinden quarry on the 11th April, 1990. All are of interest, and show various aspects of both the train the branch. In C14304, you have the two 31’s as neatly framed by two trees as it’s possible to get. The Skipton photo’ is most interesting,  and to the right, in it, you can see part of the carriage washing plant. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Also, looking at C14303, it really emphasises how much Railfreight livery made the 31 appear longer. Comparing the blue loco to the Railfreight loco, there is a real optical illusion - the rear loco looks more like a class 25, in length, coupled behind the later liveried one.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a broadside view of the two different liveries together (I certainly haven't got any in my photographic collection), it came as quite a surprise.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Northumberland photo’s which feature the remains of closed railways. They are all of interest, and, as stated, the countryside is delightful. In J7344, of Kielder viaduct, NBR, in April, 1981, the viaduct certainly looks most impressive. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Rural Northumberland really is a smashing place. I'm sure I used to see railway remnants when being driven about, probably on a Sunday afternoon drive from Alnwick to Rothbury, for Cragside, the world's first house illuminated by hydro-electricity, among other charms. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Remember that on a long single line you need passing places. Since trains have to stop there, it may make sense to build a station, especially if there is local agricultural traffic. There will also be local supplies to deliver. Remember that when these lines were built rural population was bigger than now and the roads were much poorer. Even if the line was built to stop another company from claiming the area (not uncommon), much of this still applied. But of course many rural lines never washed their faces financially.

But beautiful photos. Some real modelling potential there, put perhaps best in N so you can include as much of the gorgeous countryside as possible.

Once again, many thanks to David and his father for having the foresight to take all these photos.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

C14616 and C14618 - what's with the apparent right-hand running? Presumably services from Newcastle can terminate at Hexham, then turn back from the same platform?

That's correct.  It makes for a quicker turnround as no ecs move is needed, also passengers do not have to go over the footbridge.

The station buildings, entrance and car park are all on the right hand  (south) side of the station.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Hexham photo’s on the Newcastle to Carlisle line, of which all are of interest. In C14616, on the 28th July, 1990, you have captured a spendid view of that semaphore signal, which will be of good use for those making models of BR semaphores. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

George Bernard Shaw gave up writing, now works as a " man and van" in deepest Northumberland, (C18270). You learn something everyday. Great photos by the way, keep `em coming.

Good spot, but shouldn’t it be a bus on the bridge?!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2020 at 16:24, DaveF said:

Today's photos feature some of the remains of the lines built by the North British railway in Northumberland.

Some of you will know the locations, others may need to use a map or Goole earth to work out where the photos were taken - most of them are not really near villages, let alone towns.

The first three are on the branch from Scotsgap to Rothbury.

The last two are taken near the Scotish Border on the line past Reedsmouth to Riccarton.

608999457_LongwittonApril81C5350.jpg.4ab7807863c6626950b5dc998343654f.jpg

Longwitton April 81 C5350.jpg  The station is actually at Rothley, near Rothley lake.

2080685197_B6342bridgenearRothleycrossroadsDSC_1084.jpg.10461c48e91053c688edd429e72ae78d.jpg

B6342 bridge near Rothley cross roads DSC_1084.jpg

1583013622_BrinkburnNBRRothburybranchMay81J7397.jpg.5ff77cc6504e82cca0336a0de77b6e2b.jpg

Brinkburn station NBR Rothbury branch May 81 J7397.jpg

58900934_KielderviaductNBRApril81J7344.jpg.1283fea6bad8901dcd4c60e89b99b803.jpg

Kielder viaduct NBR April 81 J7344.jpg

935968830_Deadwater25thOct89C13805.jpg.2dd1281641e0ce036b0619c2790ebed2.jpg

Deadwater station 25th Oct 89 C13805.jpg

David

You are Ian Futers and I claim my £5!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

C18270 - looks as if the crew forgot to change the destination blind! 

It's to save time changing it when they get to Newcastle!

David

• Thanks 1