Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

8 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

J13032 - nice bit of accessibility. A fair way up from the platform to the entrance of the Pacer (not helped by the cant on the track), and out of sight, another step up inside the doors.

I almost wrenched my shoulder opening the door on a Down slam-door unit at Cram.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice pictures Dave. Can't help noticing that it's an electrified railway, but every train is a diesel! Seems we're still some way of making full use of the investment.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, RFS said:

Nice pictures Dave. Can't help noticing that it's an electrified railway, but every train is a diesel! Seems we're still some way of making full use of the investment.

I often think that too.  At the time the only electrics were the Class 91s on the KingsX to Edinburgh/Glasgow services, with Class 90 substitutes now and then.  I saw a few Class 92s and of course Class 86s on charters.

Everything else was diesel.

David

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I often think that too.  At the time the only electrics were the Class 91s on the KingsX to Edinburgh/Glasgow services, with Class 90 substitutes now and then.  I saw a few Class 92s and of course Class 86s on charters.

Of course, quite apart from the obvious lack of electric stock available, one of the main reasons was the fact that the electrical supply was inadequate to power more than a handful of trains per hour, north of Newcastle. In fact, even today, many of the bi-modes are having to drop their pantographs and run on diesel over that section, until the new substation at Marshall Meadows can be commissioned, in order to bolster the power supply.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

David

Watching the Azumas coming into service over the last couple of years on the ECML, I was surprised to see how many KX-York/Glasgow/Edinburgh services were still being run by HSTs nearly 30 years after the line was electrified. There are also still some WCML services from Euston-Glasgow still being scheduled for class 221 Voyagers, at least till next year when some new electrics and bi-modes come into service. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland, at Cramlington station and Clifton level crossing. All are of interest, and in J13265, the class 37 at Cramlington station, on a down pipe train, is certainly named Hartlepool Pipe Mill, but I’ve just conducted a search in Google and come up with a most interesting answer to the 718 on the nose end which can be seen in the photo’. Apparently, according to what I’ve come across, on Flickr, 718 was originally D6784, which then was renumbered as 37084 and then 37718 in February, 1989. But, the search has revealed 37507 with the same name, but no mention of the name being transferred in any way. I admit to feeling most confused, especially if it turns out both 37’s at one time carried the same name. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert a word.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

What a brilliant tip! Thanks for sharing that your saintliness.

What I forgot to mention is that he did it by using a ruler to cover up the lines above the one he was reading.

Worth a try!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2021 at 20:28, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland, at Cramlington station and Clifton level crossing. All are of interest, and in J13265, the class 37 at Cramlington station, on a down pipe train, is certainly named Hartlepool Pipe Mill, but I’ve just conducted a search in Google and come up with a most interesting answer to the 718 on the nose end which can be seen in the photo’. Apparently, according to what I’ve come across, on Flickr, 718 was originally D6784, which then was renumbered as 37084 and then 37718 in February, 1989. But, the search has revealed 37507 with the same name, but no mention of the name being transferred in any way. I admit to feeling most confused, especially if it turns out both 37’s at one time carried the same name. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The nameplate was definitely transferred from 37507 to 37718. The Rail UK website says 37718 was named on 1/7/1992, so David your photo J13265 taken later in the same month is 37718, not 37507.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

The nameplate was definitely transferred from 37507 to 37718. The Rail UK website says 37718 was named on 1/7/1992, so David your photo J13265 taken later in the same month is 37718, not 37507.

Thanks Andrew,  I have altered the caption.

David.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Gascoigne Wood photo’s which are of much interest and fill in a gap in our Yorkshire railway knowledge - not many photo’s of Gascoigne Wood seem to get posted. In C20949, with 56090, on a train of empties, on the 29th May, 1996, you have captured a good scene showing how the sidings and colliery buildings etc., were back then, but today, it’s all so different. There is not much left, and what sidings there are left are covered in weeds and bushes, a pale shadow of those far away days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/04/2021 at 17:14, eastwestdivide said:

J13032 - nice bit of accessibility. A fair way up from the platform to the entrance of the Pacer (not helped by the cant on the track), and out of sight, another step up inside the doors.

There isn't anyone on the track.

Mike.

• Funny 8

That National Power 59 brought back some great memories of the Lima one one that I was desperate to get on its release date, Oh how times have changed as far as quality goes.

We used to see the Yeoman and ARC 59's a lot down South and seeing and hearing the very first one come into Eastleigh we could not believe the sound, oh so so different from any other Traction in its day.

Great memories David, thanks for re igniting them.:good:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Druimuachdar (Drumochter) summit on the Highland Main Line, from the 15th October, 1988, photo’s plus those two of Glasgow Central. All are of interest, and I really love those first three photo’s which show off the summit to perfection. In C11539, at Druimuachdar Summit, you can see the nameboard giving the details of the summit. It’s dwarfed by the mountain behind it. All such stunning scenery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 02/04/2021 at 18:33, corneliuslundie said:

J7674 looks pretty cold. I am surprised the camera didn't freeze up.

C2061: I see no rectory? I wonder how long ago it was demolished - or possibly washed away in an earlier flood. I hope that is a flood plain meadow in the foreground.

Great photos as ever.

Jonathan

I asked the same question here

Nobody came up with an answer there either!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DavidBird said:

I asked the same question here

Nobody came up with an answer there either!

In the book "Railways of Nottingham - A history of The Great orthern Colwick Motive Power Depot and Marshalling Yard"  by Peter Barry Waite (Booklaw Publications, ISBN 1-901945-31-6, published in 2004 the following appears:

"In 1891 a new signal box of 84 levers was opened called Rectory Junction, named after the nearby Colwick Rectory."

It may also be of interest, though not relevant to the name of the junction, that in 1880 the Great Northern Railway purchased 31 acres 2 roods and 10 perches from the Hon and Rev Orlando Weld Forester, Rector of Gedling - this was part of the Glebe lands belonging to the Rectory.  It was used to expand the engine shed and yard.

The book itself is a good read, plenty of photos, details of loco allocations on selected dates etc etc.

I refer to it from time to time when sorting out Dad's old B/W photos to see exactly where he was standing, courtesy of his track permit, when he took photos.

David

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Lovely shots of Druimuachdar, 1988. Brings back fond memories. Four years earlier I cycled over there (and Slochd before it), southbound, in the long, hot summer of 1984, heading for Land's End. Happy memories that flood back, every time I travel up the Highland main line, and which have been brought back to mind by this beautiful set. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DaveF said:

In the book "Railways of Nottingham - A history of The Great orthern Colwick Motive Power Depot and Marshalling Yard"  by Peter Barry Waite (Booklaw Publications, ISBN 1-901945-31-6, published in 2004 the following appears:

"In 1891 a new signal box of 84 levers was opened called Rectory Junction, named after the nearby Colwick Rectory."

It may also be of interest, though not relevant to the name of the junction, that in 1880 the Great Northern Railway purchased 31 acres 2 roods and 10 perches from the Hon and Rev Orlando Weld Forester, Rector of Gedling - this was part of the Glebe lands belonging to the Rectory.  It was used to expand the engine shed and yard.

The book itself is a good read, plenty of photos, details of loco allocations on selected dates etc etc.

I refer to it from time to time when sorting out Dad's old B/W photos to see exactly where he was standing, courtesy of his track permit, when he took photos.

David

Thanks Dave, that is interesting.

In this screenshot from old-maps.co.uk, of the OS 1:10560 (6" to a mile) of 1863, Rectory Junction is yet to be built (site is the red drop-pin), and Colwick Rectory is marked to the left of the "Colwick" village name on the left side of the screen.  Ok, it's not a great distance away, but not obviously a near-by feature.  It may be more likey that the land purchased for the expansion of the yards was glebe land belonging to Gedling Rectory, and the new junction named for that.

Edit: Or maybe simply, as there were already  Colwick West, Colwick North and Colwick East Junctions, somebody just looked at the map, found the name "Colwick", spotted the word "Rectory" next to it and used that...

image.png.2e5761e5eedf7ad042c47f187ec214bd.png

Edited by DavidBird
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Hexham photo’s from the 1st November, 2012. All are of interest despite not being so far back in time, and what an excellent shot of the signal box in the fifth one down (no photo’ numbers for these). It clearly shows the quite unusual way of getting the box into the right place by having it on the top of that ‘bridge’. I wonder if there are or were any other signal boxes like that?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1