Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David, and I wish you a very Happy Birthday. I hope you have been having a great day.

Today’s photo’s are excellent, as always, and those in the bonus photo’s are a delightful selection, of former Great Western, Mill Lane level crossing on the line to Market Overton and at Harlaxton Quarries. In C337, at Harlaxton Quarries, with a special working, "The Lincolnshire Ore - Harlaxton Steam Farewell", Austerity, 0-6-0ST, Gunby, in September, 1970, makes a fine sight in the rear three quarter photo’. 
The Lincolnshire photo’s are of historic interest, and the first one at Louth, with a C12, on a passenger train, on a Louth to Grimsby service, circa 1952, shows a former GNR Gresley carriage leading, and then a non corridor twin art.  The photo’s from Skegness of the Big Dipper and miniature railway are typical of the seaside resort, and as stated, would make delightful models.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Happy Birthday Dave - you've caught me up, but only until November. 72 is the new 40, believe it! 

Indeed, think of all the classic rockers like Clapton, the Who, the Stones - who were all dismissed as old farts before they were 40 and they're still going, well into their 70s (and nearly 80s!).

Happy birthday Dave and remember age isn't a number, it's a state of mind.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthday Daveand not just a big thank you for your photos.

Also, a big BIG thanks for your massive contribution "to the record" of how Britain's railways evolved over time.

Along with your mother and father, I don't think there can be any other family that has recorded so much over so long.

Thanks - just doesn't "cut it"!

Enjoy a glass of something from me. I owe you.

Kev.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthday David 

As others have said thank you for sharing your excellent pictures over the years with us .

Been some absolute stunners and I even appear in a couple 

Have a good day mate

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, probably a twin-art on that service as the quad and quin arts were more suburban beasts, though I believe that they were sometimes pressed into use for excursions etc. 

And from me too, happy birthday and many thanks for all the work you put into the thread.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 62613 said:

Me as well. Any chance of more of your dad's?

Any colour ones with a J in the file number are Dad's.

As for the black and white photos most of them have been in my black and white thread, see the link in my  signature.  I am perfectly happy to add them to this thread if RMWebbers would like to see them again.

David

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Great to see a photo of a quad art

Not a quad - looks like a D210 twin to me.   Quad Arts didn't have lavs and the leading vehicle has two.   The one ahead of it is an ex-GN vehicle, probably a 58 footer.   I might be able to identify it once I get home to the diagram book.

Nice ex-GC compo in the next picture as well.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

And belated Birthday Greetings from me too Dave, really appreciate your posting photos each day, such an interesting range of locations, subjects and vintages in your collection..

Regards,

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

C1957 there was a thread recently about whether cl.37s worked Parcels trains - that's a cracking example of one that did.

And a good example of why you shouldn't worry too much if your model coaches seem to have slightly different shades of blue

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Those of you know Chelmsford can work out where the railway is in the first photo, it may not be obvious at first sight,  then you can think where I was standing.

551383928_ChelmsforddistantviewofrailwayJuly74C1657.jpg.71df68ba54e9bc3d13cee51aa7aebb5b.jpg

Chelmsford distant view of railway July 74 C1657

https://goo.gl/maps/JsfRgEiGv3BT6VQD8

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a most impressive set of GE photo’s. In C3560, at Manningtree, S15, 841, Greene King, with 31125, on a charter to Dinting and return, in October, 1977,  was certainly putting on a great display of smoke and steam before the failure happened. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Great  pictures David,  when you look at 841 it's hard to believe now that mainline certified steam locos of the era were allowed to run without AWS , the only thing that seems to have is an electrification flash on its smoke deflectors 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DaveF said:

Hullbridge Traction Engine Rally 5.5 inch? gauge B1, GWR 4-6-0 and 0-6-0T May 77 C3345

That's a very nice model of an unusual prototype - Hunslet 0-6-0T L31, built for the District Line in 1931.

• Thanks 1