Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

And am I right in thinking that the five diesel locos are all in different liveries?

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think that 47 in photo 2 and the second 56 in the last photo may be in the same livery, but am not sure.

The two Railfreight 56s are metals sector (chevrons), 56069 should be the next one to reappear in service, as 69004....

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing. In the first photo’, of 47362, on an up ICI tanks train, in May, 1990, you can see how careworn the locomotive was with a bit of the old number underneath the cabside window and the rather worn looking paintwork in general. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 17:21, lmsforever said:

Its hard to   imagine that when built Seascale was to be a massive holiday resort to rival blackpool but did not even get off the starting blocks. location weather and a public who did not want to go there perhaps it was timely that it did not happen.  The  holidaymakers would not have apreciated a certain complex that is just up the coast that takes over the area .

At least the sea might have been warmer for them 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of Newcastle Central. The last photo’ of 43116 leading a Aberdeen to Kings Cross HST, and 43172 leading a Newcastle to Plymouth HST, in April, 1992, show the two ways the running number was treated under the windscreen, with 43116 having the large numbers under it, and 43172 having none. Both are in the Swallow livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

With good track and wheel sets they were fine!

When the 142 Pacers were introduced to Manchester, people immediately complained about the poor riding (and noise).

The response was that "things would improve when all the jointed track was replaced with "Continuous Welded Rail".

Today, the "Jointed track" is still in situ on the approach to Stalybridge, from Ashton, long after the (happy) demise of the Pacers.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Barrow on Soar and Leicester on the Midland Railway. Of the two photo’s  of B1, 61318, the first one, JVol1125, has a bit more of interest in it with the platform luggage barrow, plus no one is stood in the way in front of the engine. Then in the last photo’, at Leicester London Road, with Johnson, 1P, 0-4-4T, LMS, 1379, in c1948, that is a lovely portrait shot of the engine.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. What a lovely scene in the yard at Haworth, with 75078 and 41241, in August, 1983, in C6226. I wonder what the chalked 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 meant on the smokebox door of 41241?
Then there are a lovely set of photo’s of the Newcastle to Carlisle line. The first photo’ of Prudhoe, with 156463, on a Carlisle to Middlesbrough service, on the 30th May, 1995, shows the unit nicely framed by the NER footbridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive set of photo’s from Morpeth. The first photo’ of a two car class 101 unit, on an Alnmouth to Newcastle service, in December,1982, reveals, thanks to no blind in the aperture, that there are just six small bulbs to provide illumination. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of Fenham, on the ECML from May, 1992. The first photo’ of 56094, on an up train, is a great three quarters view, which is very well composed by your Dad. In J13163, with a class 91 heading a down express, it really is an excellent ‘train in the landscape’ view.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Hi David,

You must have a thing for 47309... in J13165 the 47 cannot be 47309 for the same reasons as before - nameplate too short and no crest below it.

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks again.  Number now deleted.

I tend not to check Dad's identifications, I really ought to.  I'm never sure how many are from numbers he noted at the time and how many times he tried to decipher numbers from slides.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s which start at Darlington and then head north along the ECML. The first photo’, at Darlington, with the very old locomotive ‘Derwent’, in June, 1975, shows how interesting the locomotive was and I can see two tenders, one for water and one for coal, unless I’m much mistaken.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1