Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly I hope you’ll keep safe being in the red warning area for the severe gales from storm Arwen. So the photo’s of Newcastle are excellent, and convey how the railway was at the station back when the photo’s were taken. In C11782, with 142016, on a Newcastle to Hexham service, on the 7th March, 1989, you can see that the destination box has something missing and you can see parts of the blind which would otherwise be covered up.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Re the livery on 142016, showing my ignorance as i have never lived in an area where Pacers were in use, was this an ex "GWR" livery? Units in this brown seem to have got around quite a bit.

Jonathan

They were ex GWR units.

I think there was a problem with the 142s and sharp curves in the south west so they were sent elsewhere.

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

As I couldn't get to sleep I looked online and asked for some quotes from roofers.  At 7 this morning I had a phone call, the team arrived at 9.40 and had fitted a new set of ridge tiles by lunchtime.  Since then they have done four more houses just round the corner.  Just about every other house in my road has lost tiles, fences and so on.

Sounds as though you chose a good roofer Dave; they'll all be very busy at the moment I should think.  Not so bad here in York, although still windy enough to prevent a good night's sleep.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I’m glad you managed to get those ridge tiles replaced so quickly, and I hope you’ll get a better nights sleep tonight. The photo’s from near to Nottingham are fantastic, and what a delightful portrait in JVol5136, of A5, 69817, at Nottingham London Road, Low Level, with the A5 on a down goods train, circa 1953.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an interesting set of photo’s of the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Railway at Bowaters. In C2115, at Kemsley Down, with Hawthorn Leslie, Swancombe, number 4, May, 1975, it’s interesting to see such a small engine fitted out with large Oleo buffers.

The Skipton locomotive shed photo’s are fascinating and full of historical interest. In DMImageL01, with a BR class 4, 75019, leaving the turntable in January, 1967, you can see the relatively sorry state of the engine complete with no smokebox door numberplate. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I’m having internet issues this evening - they could be related to Saturday’s storm. Well, that’s a most interesting selection of Scottish photo’s.  The first photo’ of Aviemore on the 15th October, 1988, shows some outstanding Scottish scenery and a stunning sky. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Where is Gunnie? Even Google Maps doesn't know.

Jonathan

Gartsherrie near Coatbridge.

Gunnie cement works, latterly owned by Castle Cement and used as a rail terminal until 2006.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

J3836 is on the Kirkoswald Road (A719) I reckon David - somewhere round about the position in the link below:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.3356543,-4.7998344,3a,75y,277.78h,93.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUxGfCj6I9rW9xbARh75WRg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The railway crosses L- R 'somewhere' behind the huts! Not easy to spot.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

J3836 is on the Kirkoswald Road (A719) I reckon David - somewhere round about the position in the link below:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.3356543,-4.7998344,3a,75y,277.78h,93.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUxGfCj6I9rW9xbARh75WRg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Many thanks, it is roughly where I thought it was.

David

3 hours ago, billy_anorak59 said:

The side by side maps shows the line better https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=55.33572&lon=-4.80127&layers=170&right=ESRIWorld  The campsite was built on the formation of the old line and what appears as the old formation is actually the old road alignment, I used to have a caravan at another site that was further down the coast which was also on the track of the old line.

Gunnie was one of my old stamping grounds, this used to be Gartsherrie Iron Works and had a really extensive railway system, https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=55.87327&lon=-4.03468&layers=170&right=ESRIWorld

As you can see from the present day Bing Map there is nothing left.  I have a photograph of the works shunter somewhere.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 2